Author Topic: New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates  (Read 34979 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates
« Reply #105 on: September 14, 2006, 05:48:44 PM »
Originally posted by Sloehand
Well, just left Late Arena.  Lots of very mad people there.  Seems that the town, ord, hangars, etc. don't stay down as long as they should any more.  Would have been nice to now a head of time.  Also, people are saying that the various manned guns can't be used.    
And just now, the ENY went up to "46", mean you couldn't up anything, nada, nothing.  This one is really frying people bad.  They just plain don't like the manipulation that it seems HiTech is trying to pull.  Big Brother alive and well???
They have it all wrong.  I was starting to think the multi-arena format might work and be positive, but if the put restrictions like this in, I won't play.  And many are saying the same thing.  It's getting very angry out there.

I am pretty sure that all these problems were not HTCs intention and just more or less the ususal bugs. Guns, eny problems & such are correctable and I think they are not part of the "Plan"
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #106 on: September 14, 2006, 05:51:31 PM »
The most honest post on the bbs, yup your right, must have been mass quantities of furballers at the convention I think.

No ,they just live on the forums, throwing their opinion of how everyone should play into every thread they can find.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #107 on: September 14, 2006, 05:51:36 PM »
Originally posted by USRanger
Yes, the furballr did win, because they cried the longest & loudest.  Now THEY are the one's trashing people on the threads who don't want to play their way.  Go figure.

This allegation really confuses me. Maybe I'm just slow.

How did the furballer win? The capture mechanics are the same. The maps are the same. No rules were changed. No separate furball arena was created. The total numbers in the individual arenas during prime time are about what they were in a moderate non-prime time before.

You can do everything you did before. No planes were removed from the set.

Why do you and yours think this was a pro- furballer move?:huh
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
Re: Re: New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates
« Reply #108 on: September 14, 2006, 05:51:44 PM »
Originally posted by Raider179
3 things.

Had you told me this change BEFORE you charged my account I would already have cancelled. You as the company I would have thought owed the community a little "head's up" because this is a drastic change. Instead you charge me $15 bucks and then promptly alter the game that I used to love so much. Not very professional...

This is a very good point about HiTech.  They are often very HiHanded in how they treat their customers.  Or, they just don't really think it through.  Your statement could apply to what happened when they ruined the DA a few months ago by turning Killshooter on.  They really don't seem to care that in spite of their "ultimate dream" for the game, they do have an obligation to the people who are paying to help them get there.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline Surf35

• Copper Member
« Reply #109 on: September 14, 2006, 05:52:23 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche
I am pretty sure that all these problems were not HTCs intention and just more or less the ususal bugs. Guns, eny problems & such are correctable and I think they are not part of the "Plan"

maybe they can let us play for free till they get it figured out because you cant play right know with the way things are

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #110 on: September 14, 2006, 05:52:40 PM »
Originally posted by Pyro
We've never called this a test or beta.

Early mid and late are relative terms.  As things are split up now, it's generally a mid period of mid 42 to early 44 with early and late being outside of that.  As with many things, I'm sure this will evolve over time.

Why is the Spit 8 perked in mid war era?
Theyll only give you one chance, Better get it right first time. And the game youre playing
If you lose you gotta pay, If you make just one wrong move Youll get blown away
Expect no mercy  <Nazareth>

"Stay in the manned ack... When your in a plane you are a danger to the ground"  <Norad>

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 14, 2006, 05:54:54 PM »
Originally posted by stickpig
Why is the Spit 8 perked in mid war era?

Maybe because it came quite late in mid war era & has the performance of a spit 16?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2006, 06:00:17 PM »
Greetings,

You are correct Pyro, I flew a N last night in late war - chased and was chased by LA7s, shot down by a Spit XVI and a 109K.  Seems like old times! :)

We happen to own a small store in a small town.  Everybody wants to tell you how to run your business, what to carry, etc . . . .   After few 'unique' recommendations it dawned on me, I gotta do what I think is right, not what other people think is right.  After all, I am the one paying the price for being wrong, or collecting the reward for being right!

Great game, I am here - end of line.

Regards,

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: Re: New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates
« Reply #113 on: September 14, 2006, 06:02:04 PM »
Originally posted by Sloehand
This is a very good point about HiTech.  They are often very HiHanded in how they treat their customers.  Or, they just don't really think it through.  Your statement could apply to what happened when they ruined the DA a few months ago by turning Killshooter on.  They really don't seem to care that in spite of their "ultimate dream" for the game, they do have an obligation to the people who are paying to help them get there.

I strongly disagree.

Name another software company where you can talk to the owners and lead programmers just by picking up the phone. Or where you can email and get a response the same day. Or where programmers will actually help you get the software running. Or where the lead designer will take ideas to the group and actually listen when he hears one he likes. (Look at the original ENY threads.)

DO NOT make the mistake of confusing "responsive management" with "wont make a decision unless I approve of it." Leadership by committee fails, every time. Thats why armies have generals, and companies have CEO's.

There comes a time when the guy in charge makes a call. When he sees what needs to be done, and uses his skills and judgement to decide. Thats the way it should be.

And while you're busy slamming, dont forget ...while its a game to you, its his business, his source of income, and his future. He piled his money into the hopper to get it started. If he ignored his customers' interest, the company would have died long ago.

SO do you really think he's going to blow off what's best for his customer out of sheer arrogance? No way...
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: September 14, 2006, 06:02:23 PM »
why didnt HTC just make two MA's

1:
one with large maps, and all planes with a 600 cap.
basicaly the standard MA

2:
one with small maps, and early planes (39-43) with a 400 cap.
a new arena, with the only small maps... some people prefer the smaller maps... And they still get a good range of planes.
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline lambo31

• Nickel Member
« Reply #115 on: September 14, 2006, 06:02:39 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
I don't get it...  

How can 30-40 players not be fun in the new arenas when that many in the AvA is allmost crowded and action packed?

Is is attitude?   Is it that the AvA has a lot of closer fields and that the people tend to go to where the fight is?

Is it that the AvA has a two sided war?

I am sure it is a little of all those things.

What I see is people trying to fly old MA in the new arenas... people not adapting yet....  guys in hurries acting like they are in la7's   high fights when a high fight is worthless...

attempts to runnway dive and vultch a few riskless kills end up with the ack blowing their early war ride out of the sky....

All for the best in my opinion... those things were what was ruining the gameplay anyway..  

Now.. 8 guys trying to shut down a field and vultch end up getting slaughterd and... they find that they can't even run home.. they get caught.

adjustments to gameplay will follow... poor newbies that were absorbed into mega squads and so..... never learned a thing will..... learn the new ways and the good fights will make em better and more respected and a stronger community.   newbies will learn that the HO and the runway dive and whorde not only don't work but...  never were any fun to begin with compared to actualy participating in some acm.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Lazs hit it on the head!!  Good post sir!!

Lambo
Ingame ID: Lambo

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: September 14, 2006, 06:05:36 PM »
Originally posted by USRanger
Yes, the furballers did win, because they cried the longest & loudest.  Now THEY are the one's trashing people on the threads who don't want to play their way.  Go figure.

Reminds me of the Clantons and the Erps.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Sloehand

• Silver Member
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2006, 06:11:18 PM »
Originally posted by Lusche

Don't think I said that they were... and I don't know that they weren't.  All I said was people are getting very unhappy over them.  The rub is, that that is on top of people already being upset over the change or other problems.
I, personnally, have enjoyed some of the changes this brings.  I'm perfectly willing to give it a chance and see how it works.   Generally, I like having choice.  I just have very little confidence that HiTech will make proper corrections if needed.  What they will do, is smash a hammer on what they don't like, not focus on what the customer enjoys.
Overall, my problem is the way it's being implemented, especially with no notice whatsoever.   It's like putting money down on a car, then going to pick it up and being told "Surprise, you get this model instead of the one you originally bought!"  (Yes, a bit of an extreme analogy, but some do feel that strongly about loggin on to a big surprise)
What really chaps me though is the stated purpose of conditions imposed to manipulate my gameplay, i.e. purposely low arena limits.  I don't change countries.  I won't go elsewhere to fight in planes I don't like.  And I won't play or pay if I can't play with my friends and squadmates.
I'm probably a fanatic about this, but I hate unwarranted coersion, intimidation or behavioral modification in a product that I'm paying for.  HiTech doesn't seem to realize they are bucking the social nature of people in some of these things.  Half the allure for a great many is the ability to play the game with whomever you choose, whenever you choose, and however you choose.  Restrict that and just the ability to fart around in an online virtual airplane sim is much less appealing/addicting to a great many.
Jagdgeschwader 77

"You sleep safe in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do you harm."  - George Orwell
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Offline MAG1C

• Zinc Member
« Reply #118 on: September 14, 2006, 06:16:05 PM »
Originally posted by Edbert
It seems most of those in favor of the new format have been here 2+ years, and most of those opposed to change are newer.

Am I the only one noticing that trend?

Agreed !!  I'm amazed at the number of posts about this subject and the arena arrangement that's only been in use for a day.  For those complaining about the "empty" arenas, give it some time.  People will be shifting around to find the arena and plane set they find most challenging or comfortable.  The Early War Arena was at the top of the arena logon list so of course it initially got the most players.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: September 14, 2006, 06:19:06 PM »
Originally posted by Overlag
why didnt HTC just make two MA's

1:
one with large maps, and all planes with a 600 cap.
basicaly the standard MA

2:
one with small maps, and early planes (39-43) with a 400 cap.
a new arena, with the only small maps... some people prefer the smaller maps... And they still get a good range of planes.

Add a FT area to one or both and everyone might be happy.