Author Topic: New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates  (Read 34737 times)

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates
« on: September 14, 2006, 12:41:06 PM »
I'm going to shut down the first thread due to its size and continue here.  I'll start off with a FAQ of sorts on some things that were brought up in the original thread.  Keep it civil please.

Why did you make this change?

We made this change because it will allow us to support an unlimited amount of players in a much healthier online environment that gives us better long-term growth.  The single MA has grown to the point of being unhealthy.  This is not a subjective evaluation, it is quantifiable and they are numbers that we look at every day.  It’s obvious that we simply cannot keep pumping more players into a single arena without hitting a stagnation point.  

Why are you doing this now?

There’s a convergence of factors such as current arena health, player mass, time of year and a couple of things in the pipeline that we believe will provide an influx of players.  Taken together, we believe this is the best time to make this transition.  

Is this being done for technical reasons?

No.  While some people on lower end machines may see some performance benefit, it’s not for technical reasons that the change is being made.  

This is going to fracture the community.

We disagree.  Communities grow and healthy growth requires structure.  Just packing in as many people as possible creates a slum, not a community.  We now have multiple neighborhoods in our community, but they are all connected.  

The caps need to be adjusted.

The cap numbers as well as the numbers of arenas will undergo adjustment as needed.  During the transition, we feel its important not to make them too large in order to overcome habit and herding behavior.  Things will change as we move through the transition period and people begin to regain their comfort level.

We need better tools to find or communicate with people across the different arenas.

We agree.  We have some host side changes that will be coming out shortly that will facilitate cross arena communication and hooking up with your squad mates and we’ll continue to develop more things that will help in this area.

Are you crazy?

No, we are rational and unemotional about this.  We don’t undertake a major change because we’re masochists; we make the change because we believe that it is ultimately what’s best for the game.  

Why didn’t you take a poll or announce it earlier?

It wouldn’t be useful to us for this change.  We know it’s going to be controversial.  The real test is not whether people think they’re going to like it or dislike it, it’s what happens after we make the transition and things are settled.  I didn’t like beer the first time I tried it but I’ve grown quite fond of it since then.  The transition is the worst part and we have no interest in dragging that out opening up a conflict of speculation before it even starts.  We ultimately have to do what we think is best for the game.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2006, 12:46:14 PM »

BTW, is 619 posts in 24 hours a new thread record?

I've seen research on growth of public groups (like churches) -- when the "arena" is perceived to be about 80% full, growth pretty much stops. Easy enough to see how a packed MA would be overwhelming to a new guy, from trying to stay alive long enough to get off the ground all the way to meeting new people.

Seriously -- when do YOU find it easiest to meet new people, in a party with 30 people or in a convention hall with 600?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 12:51:55 PM by Simaril »
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2006, 12:48:41 PM »
HTC...Are you still calling the changes a "test, or beta"?  Will you be interpreting the data from arena's, and listening to our voices over the BBS the next couple weeks, or are these changes already set in stone...?

**Are you considering bringing the old MA back on top of these arenas?  I'll be honest with you...I love to fly the hurrimk1...I had no problem competing against LA's and spit 16's in the old MA, and now my fun has been taken away?...So are you considering re-activating the old MA, on top of the new changes?

and finally, and this may be a little much but I have to ask...As you can tell, a lot of us are un happy...I am one of them...I think you have an amazing video game, and your a good company...With this new change, the game has sorta just lost its appeal...To be honest with you I am considering whether I should keep my account or not...I definately plan on returning one day...CT will most likely be the factor...So could you please say if its worth keeping my account for another month or two because CT will be coming out?  Or is it still months away, and not worth holding onto the perks...

thanks

Cav58D
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2006, 12:50:06 PM »
2 questions :)

1st why your post is full of "’" ? :)

2nd to you plane to add more early plane (namely D520,Ms406 or MB152) and do you need documentation  ?

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2006, 12:50:16 PM »
I really feel sorry for you guys at HTC, dealing with some of the naysayers that have posted already, combined with complete idiots like 'mkaykov' makes for a real bad work week.

Go home early today to unwind, lock the forums if you have to.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2006, 12:50:49 PM »
We've been discussing this on our squad BBS, some like it, others don't... for various reasons.  One retired squaddie came back because of this change..

I think that with some slightly higher caps in the arenas and a 'buddy/squad list'  like this: http://www.flyaceshigh.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=187127

would be very cool and help allay the 'my squad is going to die' fears.  I have no idea how you are going to break the aptly put 'herd mentality' aside from hard caps on the arenas.

However I do think this spells the end of the monster-squads and to a lesser extent, the hordes (if they are in fact any different other than in name).  Can't say I'm sorry to see that go away.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 12:56:05 PM by scottydawg »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2006, 12:54:01 PM »
Originally posted by Delirium
I really feel sorry for you guys at HTC, dealing with some of the naysayers that have posted already, combined with complete idiots like 'mkaykov' makes for a real bad work week.

Go home early today to unwind, lock the forums if you have to.

But.... :confused:

Then i'd actually have to WORK whilst at work! :huh

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 12:54:09 PM »
I may have missed this in the mammoth thread just closed............

what defines "early", "mid", & "late"?

given ETO began SEP 39 and PAC finishes AUG 45 we have a 6 year period

Early = Sep 39 to Aug 41
Mid =   Sep 41 to Aug 43
Late = Sep 43 to Aug 45

is this right?

Were M8's, M3's etc in use before the US joined the war?

Some other stuff seems "not to fit" either
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 12:56:19 PM by Tilt »
Ludere Vincere

Offline Trikky

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 12:55:02 PM »
Amen to the community v slum comment.

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 12:55:18 PM »
WTG HTC!

The game that has been constantly evolving, sometimes in small tweaks sometimes in huge leaps, continues it's evolution. Many will whine, many will cry, the biggest babies will threaten to quit...but the game progresses along.

In my opinion this addresses nearly all of the issues that have arisen as a result of the steady influx of new players.

Originally posted by Kermit:

America did win the battle of britain. Don't you know anything?

LOL Kermie, we all know it was Ben Aflek who won the BoB!

Offline mongial

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2006, 12:56:09 PM »
Being a nooby to this game and games of this sort, I can see where SOME of the fuss comes into play.  "I've been playing for one year and just got comfortable with the way things were."  Getting comfortable does make things "stale" as Pyro put it.

At first glance, I hated the idea, but as rational kicked in, I began to realize that this is NEW. I have to fly an F4f in the EA, which I have never flown (Im partial to the f4u-1).  

On another note, can anyone fill me in on what CT is, and what role it will play with the current AH2 setup?:D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 01:01:46 PM by mongial »

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2006, 12:56:18 PM »
What would be the big deal with allowing "ALL" aircraft in the latewar arena with its original perk values???  That would shut me up
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2006, 12:57:04 PM »
Originally posted by Edbert1
WTG HTC!

The game that has been constantly evolving, sometimes in small tweaks sometimes in huge leaps, continues it's evolution. Many will whine, many will cry, the biggest babies will threaten to quit...but the game progresses along.

In my opinion this addresses nearly all of the issues that have arisen as a result of the steady influx of new players.

LOL Kermie, we all know it was Ben Aflek who won the BoB!

Yeah, on U-571. Jeez. Get it straight.

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2006, 12:58:59 PM »
We've never called this a test or beta.

Early mid and late are relative terms.  As things are split up now, it's generally a mid period of mid 42 to early 44 with early and late being outside of that.  As with many things, I'm sure this will evolve over time.

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2006, 12:59:56 PM »
Originally posted by Pyro
We've never called this a test or beta.

Early mid and late are relative terms.  As things are split up now, it's generally a mid period of mid 42 to early 44 with early and late being outside of that.  As with many things, I'm sure this will evolve over time.

So this is hear for good....

What about adding "ALL" aircraft to the late war arena????  Is that something you may consider?
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II