Author Topic: New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates  (Read 34726 times)

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 01:01:17 PM »
It's not out of the question that early planes are never retired in the mid and late arenas.

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 01:02:53 PM »
Originally posted by cav58d
What would be the big deal with allowing "ALL" aircraft in the latewar arena with its original perk values???  That would shut me up

I think it's interesting that (from what I've seen) the most populated arena so far is the Early War Arena, NOT the Late War, which incidentally is not just late war rides either.  You can still get all but the earliest birds in there, and you can still up in an LA5 or a P40E and get wailed on. Unless you're just a masochist and want to fly a SpitI or a P40B against late war rides, I don't see how the late war 2 arena is much different, except in size or map.

I'm a little surprised by that... I wonder if anyone had any idea the early war arena would be the most popular.

Offline Jolly

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 01:05:11 PM »
Originally posted by scottydawg
However I do think this spells the end of the monster-squads and to a lesser extent, the hordes (if they are in fact any different other than in name).  Can't say I'm sorry to see that go away.

I think your very wrong scottydawg, in fact monster-squads will become even bigger. Why? Because if 3 squads had 70 players each and the MA had 450 players total. That was only 46%. Now those same three squads will be over 100% in any arena they go too.

You say it can't happen, well it did and still is happening. Check it out some arenas will have 70, 80, 120 from one country and 10 and 20 from the other two countries.

And that power will make them grow even bigger.

Jolly

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2006, 01:08:50 PM »
I'm a little surprised by that... I wonder if anyone had any idea the early war arena would be the most popular.

I´d say let´s wait a bit.  When the change occured, the old MA became more or less the new EA, with people re logging on instantly And as people tend to go were the number are highest, the effect is still on. Also most of the players loggin in for the first time since the change did click EA more or less by instinct, EA being the first in the list.

Wait for a week or two before deciding which arena is more popular.
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2006, 01:09:18 PM »
Originally posted by Jolly
I think your very wrong scottydawg, in fact monster-squads will become even bigger. Why? Because if 3 squads had 70 players each and the MA had 450 players total. That was only 46%. Now those same three squads will be over 100% in any arena they go too.

You say it can't happen, well it did and still is happening. Check it out some arenas will have 70, 80, 120 from one country and 10 and 20 from the other two countries.

And that power will make them grow even bigger.

Jolly

We'll see, but I doubt that will happen.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2006, 01:10:58 PM »
No, it will force them to break off, have half switch to another team, and then fight each other.

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2006, 01:12:56 PM »
ok we got 2 arenas with p51s in can we have 15 different skins  in  one arena  and 15 in the 2nd?.

is it possible  for the different arenas  to havedifferent skins  from each other.

i am asking this because at the moment i cant fly what i want  and find  a fight so i will be doing more skinning.

eg i loged on to late 1  and there were 6 bish 2 knights  and 1 rook,it was so busy we made  a appointment for a fight so we could find each other.

now that isnt enjoyment.

although i didnt like the vast hordes in the MA  at least  killing  the vulchers  was fun,now  on gmt time its  hard  to find anyone  to fight apart from in the early arena  and there i cant fly the mossie  i wanted to fly.
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2006, 01:13:53 PM »
Originally posted by Pyro
It's not out of the question that early planes are never retired in the mid and late arenas.

cancelling out the double negatives..........

early planes could be  retained into late arenas........
Ludere Vincere

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2006, 01:15:07 PM »
I think the EA is crowded because so many players have really wanted to try those planes but their ability to do so was hampered by having to deal with 1945 rocketships zooming them then running away. Over time I expect the balance to shift toward the late war, but for now early war is simply different. You have to admit that for six years the MA has pretty much been a late 44-45 arena for the most part.
Originally posted by Jolly
INow those same three squads will be over 100% in any arena they go too.

Explain if you will how anything anywhere can "be over 100%" of the total.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 01:28:42 PM by Edbert1 »

Offline MotorOil1

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2006, 01:16:23 PM »
Well, at first glance last night I found myself picking the arena with the most favourable numbers.  Was in the mid war theatre with 29 other rooks, we were getting overrun, when I left there was 8 rooks left.  Found myself in another theatre where numbers were a bit more balanced.

I see I'm not alone in my opinion or actions last night.
MoterOil
-=Most Wanted=-
"These are detestable murderers and scumbags. They detest our freedoms, they detest our society, they detest our liberties." - General Hillier July 14, 2005, on Osama bin Laden and his ilk

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2006, 01:16:27 PM »
HTC....Will ack lethality be changed in the new arenas?????
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2006, 01:19:00 PM »
Just a question:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cancelling out the double negatives..........

early planes could be retained into late arenas........

-----------------------------------

Won't this just make it a Junior MA?

I personnally have no dog in this fight, just question the logic of killing off the MA to bring back a baby version.

Regards,
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 01:21:03 PM by MWL »

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2006, 01:23:29 PM »
I think it's interesting that (from what I've seen) the most populated arena so far is the Early War Arena, NOT the Late War, which incidentally is not just late war rides either.  You can still get all but the earliest birds in there, and you can still up in an LA5 or a P40E and get wailed on. Unless you're just a masochist and want to fly a SpitI or a P40B against late war rides, I don't see how the late war 2 arena is much different, except in size or map.

No im not surprised that everyone is flocking to the arena that has the most players at the loggin screen. The "WHY" the players are at the Early Arena at this stage of the change is where the answer to you question lies.;)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2006, 01:25:45 PM »
I think very few historians would consider the SpitIX or the Fw 190 A5 early war planes.

In fact the FW (A3) heralded the turning point of of early eto to mid period.

Rhubarbs were begining to take place over Northern France and the local air combat was beginning to turn from defensive to offensive............. (for the RAF)

Clasically between the fighters from Tangmere and the Abbeville bunch.

It was Spit V's coming across the new FW A3's that sparked the rushed development of the Spit IX.

Looking forward toi trying it all out anyway  

:)
Ludere Vincere

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Re: New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 01:28:10 PM »
With players spreading out, we are aware of the need for better tools to find and communicate with your buddies. We will be working on some new tools to handle this but for now that can be accomplished with the squadron message of the day. (MOTD). The squad MOTD will reach across all the Main Arena’s so the squad leader can be sure that everybody knows where to go on a given night.

Is there a time frame on when this may be implemented? I love the game and all but what keeps me here is the community, in particular my squad. Being thats its a large squad this is already causing some headaches. No doom and gloom or anything, just some concerns.