Author Topic: New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates  (Read 34902 times)

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
New arena format Part 2 - Use this thread, don't open duplicates
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2006, 04:00:33 PM »
Originally posted by cav58d
.does anyone else agree?

Not I.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Hawco

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2006, 04:04:37 PM »
Pyro
What plan do you have in mind for getting numbers into the mid war arena?  Since the change it's been the early arena or the late arena that has been getting the numbers.
I know it's only been 2 days but it's dire in there as people are following the herd, I like it in there as it has about the best match ups out of all the arenas.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2006, 04:08:38 PM »
Originally posted by MAG1C
This arrangement breaks up the players into multiple arenas giving more space for the number of players to grow into.

Sorry, but for me there is currently too much space.
I was playin on & off the whole day. Was desperatly looking for any kind of bigger battles we used to have.

But thatīs hard to find when there are no more 150 but only about 40 or much even less people in an arena. Only now, at 11pm CET (time zone I am living) EA is getting about 150 players.

While I see many ways lots of other minor shortcomings could & will be corrected in near future, this is a real issue to me.

Change itself may be necessary, and i can surely adapt and make compromises. Heck, I donīt like that "historical" planeset at all, but I could live with it for sure.

But the fights I did enjoy so much are not there anymore. Only small scale dogfights or even constant milkruns.

And I simply canīt see how that can be fixed without getting rid of the split arenas concept , because I am sure the will be no sudden rise in player numbers at non-us times.

As I stated before: I guess I am simply out of luck here.
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2006, 04:16:41 PM »
Originally posted by Mister Fork
Pyro: will there be a need for the AvA arena now that we have historical dated aircraft arenas?  That was the premise of the arena, albeit the Axis verus Allies is the main focus.

....why....YES!  OF COURSE THERE'S A NEED!  AvA is STILL the only place in AH where you can get a historic fight.

Geez.

- oldman

Offline Cable

• Zinc Member
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2006, 04:19:12 PM »
Originally posted by scottydawg
We've been discussing this on our squad BBS, some like it, others don't... for various reasons.  One retired squaddie came back because of this change..

I have no idea how you are going to break the aptly put 'herd mentality' aside from hard caps on the arenas.

However I do think this spells the end of the monster-squads and to a lesser extent, the hordes (if they are in fact any different other than in name).  Can't say I'm sorry to see that go away.

Speaking as a member of one "monster squad" that is continually maligned for a style of flying we rarely participate in, I would like to draw a distinction between flying in the same arena with friends and driving 90 planes into a undefended base.

First, I would point out to those who can remember what the last map looked like BEFORE this change (which has many good points btw), you can see with your own eyes that the vast amount of hording was done NOT by monster squads, but by the country who simply had the numbers.  "Monsters" had nothing to do with it... EXCEPT... when a side is down to a dozen or so fields on a giant map, the introduction of team that on ONE NIGHT flys toward common goals (NOTE: I didn't say "all flys together on a single mission") it tends to even up the odds.  On nights many of us would be on but NOT flying together, spread all over the map, we were hoarded constantly.  Then, on the one night we do, we tend to push back the incoming hoard, make it hard if not impossible for them to gain ground, and while we're at it take back a little real estate.

It seems most people want to overlook the beginning state of affairs and focus only on one snapshot of the whole week and infer the large squad is solely responsible for everything they don't like in the arena.

They aren't, and in a giant map, I think everyone knows that.

Because we fly together as a team doesn't mean we're all in the same mission.  Some might be hitting strat, taking down troops, defending one or more airfields while some others work on attacking a base or clearing a cap with a fighter sweep.  If you imagine it's 90 guys all taking off and going the same place flight after flight you're mistaken.

How this applies in the change is that we can no longer have any guarantee that we can fly with the guys we've developed friendships with.  It almost seems like the attitude is, too bad, go make new ones.  I don't have any problems with making new ones, I do have a problem with tossing the old ones overboard.

There has been talk of some kind of inter-arena comms... so what?  Why don't we just call each other on the phone and report what we're each doing in ANOTHER arena?  The point is we want to work on something together, fly together, and actually SHARE the fun of this game.  Is that asking too much?  It doesn't matter so much WHICH arena, just that we can all fit into one.

I like many of the changes more than I thought I would.  Some I don't as far as gameplay goes, but I have confidence those things will get wrung out and adjusted as needed, no problem there.  I just think that a common theme in the now-closed thread was the issue of arena size, and it seems to me jacking up the allowable ought to take away about 20-25% of the complaints I've read so far, and it doesn't seem unreasonable or earth-shattering to accomodate that small change.

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2006, 04:37:47 PM »
It seems most of those in favor of the new format have been here 2+ years, and most of those opposed to change are newer.

Am I the only one noticing that trend?

If you've been here any length of time you'd know that change has been constant.

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2006, 04:38:53 PM »
not sure if touched on, but will the amount time between switching sides stay the same?
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2006, 04:41:56 PM »
If you have a Fw 190A-5 in Early War that was put out in  6-43

THEN you should consider adding...

Ki-61 ... 6-43

C.205 ... 1-43

Typhoon IB ... 6-43
Hurricane IID ... 6-42

F4U-1 ... 2-43(ETO)

Il-2 Type 3 ... 10-42
La-5FN ... 3-43
Yak-9T ... 1-43

A-20G ... 5-42
B-17G ... 6-43
B-24J ... 5-43
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Triumph

• Copper Member
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2006, 04:44:24 PM »
This is not what I thought I was paying for. How long before you realize this was an idealistic error?
<<<Triumph>>>

Offline Triumph

• Copper Member
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2006, 04:48:00 PM »
posted from Cav58d:

Like I said...HTC...I challenge you to re-open the old MA, and let the community speak for its self...If after 24 hour's the #'s are still evenly distributed, and the old MA doesnt get the support I imagine it would then I think it will shut all of us up, and we will accept this new change....BUT...If the old main arena becomes the dominant arena for those 24 hours then I think you are seeing a mandate from the people who feed you every night.... I think its worth a shot...does anyone else agree?posted from Cav58d:

indeed
<<<Triumph>>>

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2006, 04:50:09 PM »
Will the Scores format be changed...?

Will it show your stats for the different arena's and or the total for all ?

For the record I am not a score potato, but I like to see how I am performing, am I getting better or worse

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2006, 04:56:21 PM »
Originally posted by Triumph
This is not what I thought I was paying for. How long before you realize this was an idealistic error?

Read the OP.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Goomba

• Copper Member
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2006, 05:03:49 PM »
I think the we all need to step back and give the whole thing a bit of time to settle out.

HTC, if one reads the statements that begin this thread, is trying to enhance and expand the attractiveness of the game.  This is obviously only the beginning of a project designed to widen the scope of choices and silence a bunch of tired old griefs about the old MA.

Not only that, but they've hinted at some more additions and expansions waiting in the wings that this change is designed to lay the foundations for.  We could get WW1, Korea...maybe even dedicated GV arenas.  Who knows?  I know for sure that this is NOT the end of the line, only the beginning.

Several of the issues will resolve themselves as the subscriber base increases (and it will), and people adjust their thinking.  Every time there is a change, it requires a rethinking of tired old habits and tactics.  I think it only refreshes the game.

Think about it.  First, there's gripes about "I can't fly my beloved early-war ride with all these "uber" "dweeb" "easymode" planes around.  Then, HTC separates them, and new gripes follow.  Sometimes, you just can't win.

Some people simply cannot cope with change, no matter what the upsides might be.  Sure this'll thow us for a loop for awhile, but they're listening, they're responding, and I bet it'll all be good in the long run.

Radio stations change formats, auto manufacturers redesign bodystyles on classic marques...things change all the time without 'permission' from the customer base.  Some work, some fail, but they're always intended to respond to perceived needs...not to mention business realities.  Some folks leave but, if the call was a good one, more will come than go away.  Idealism?  I seriously doubt it.  Idealism really doesn't enter into a business decision, and this business seems to do quite well in it's niche.

I say (for whatever that's worth)...let's try it out and see what comes next.  I'm optimistic.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 05:22:35 PM by Goomba »

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2006, 05:14:22 PM »
yay HTC!
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Stratocaster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2006, 05:17:46 PM »
when can I fly the sabre and the l33t f9f in the korean war theater? and when can I down some dr1s in my sopwith camel>
Strat

∼<<∼Loose Deuce∼>>∼