Author Topic: GM, Ford discuss possible merger  (Read 847 times)

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
GM, Ford discuss possible merger
« on: September 18, 2006, 01:29:39 PM »
DETROIT - Executives of General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. have discussed a possible merger or alliance, the trade journal Automotive News reported Monday. Both companies declined comment.

Automotive News quoted what it said were several people familiar with the talks as saying that discussions involving senior executives began in July and are not taking place now.

The journal quoted one source as saying that GM Chief Financial Officer Fritz Henderson and his Ford counterpart, Don Leclair, discussed a GM-Ford alliance in August.

The report comes as GM and Ford have been slashing their work forces and closing plants in efforts to reverse multibillion dollar losses. Their sales have been hurt by competition from more fuel-efficient models from Asian automakers.

Two auto analysts said an outright GM-Ford merger is unlikely, and even lower-level cooperation that now takes place on such issues as hybrid vehicles, production technology and components requires careful attention to antitrust laws.

In July, GM, Renault SA of France and Nissan Motor Co. of Japan announced a 90-day review of an alliance among them.

"As we've often said, GM officials routinely discuss issues of mutual interest with other automakers," GM spokesman Brian Akre said before business hours Monday. "As a policy, we do not confirm or comment publicly on those private discussions, which in many cases do not lead anywhere."

Ford's Oscar Suris, also speaking before business hours, said: "We're not commenting on speculation."

"It would surprise me if there were a coming-together on the grand level," said David Cole, head of the Center for Automotive Research in Ann Arbor.

"I don't see it from a business standpoint," said analyst Charles Fleetham of Project Innovations in Farmington Hills. "They have the same high health costs, high union costs, ineffective white collar work force that they want to get rid of."

Somewhere down the line, though, the number of companies that make cars is going to shrink, Cole said.

"There's going to be more consolidation. I think it's going to accelerate," Cole said.

Ford and GM very well could start more joint efforts similar to their current work to develop a six-speed automatic transmission, Cole said, adding, that contacts between automakers "go on all the time at the senior level."

Talk of alliances involving GM came after GM shareholder Kirk Kerkorian, who owns a 9.9 percent stake in the company, called for GM, Renault and Nissan to pursue an alliance.

Carlos Ghosn, the chief executive of Renault and Nissan, has said the benefits from an alliance would be similar to the gains from the Renault-Nissan alliance, which have included cost savings from joint purchases of auto parts.

Ford earlier declined to comment on an August Wall Street Journal report that then-Chief Executive Bill Ford approached Ghosn about a Ford alliance with Renault and Nissan.

GM shares fell 26 cents to $31.40 in afternoon trading on the
New York Stock Exchange, while Ford shares fell 25 cents to $7.77.

source

Now that's big news...didn't see this happening

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 01:41:20 PM »
The prospect of a Ford-GM merger bears entirely too much similarity to the New York Central--PRR Merger.  The latter didn't end well.

J_A_B

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 02:20:35 PM »
According to Wikipedia, there have been 1,024 car companies in the U.S. that are now defunct.  List

How long until there is only one left?  Kind of reminds me of that movie Demolition Man, where the only restaurant left in the future is Taco Bell.
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 03:05:17 PM »
Well, there goes quality if that happens.

I wonder what the UAW is giving up, if anything, to help each respective company survive?

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 03:29:14 PM »
Originally posted by LePaul
I wonder what the UAW is giving up, if anything, to help each respective company survive?

A bunch of jobs of their members.  But it's okay, they'll preserve their rediculous pay scale and benefits for the one guy left.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2006, 03:32:23 PM »

Maybe one of their 3 hour coffee breaks.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2006, 03:58:01 PM »

While the UAW is about 40% of the problem, having worked contract for Ford over these last 5 years has shown me this:  

1.)  Every month the Executives meet in Traverse City to hold a meeting.   The cost savings is drastic.   Figure around $100,000-$150,000 per meeting.   Yeah, the new CEC complex isn't quite up to par with this.  They only spent $8 million changed the name and function of this building.   It would make too much sense.

2.)  On the 11th and 12th floors of Ford WHQ in Dearborn is a Country Club atmosphere amidst the whoring of the company.   For starters, are the Bedrooms given to each Member of the Board (Pres, VP's, etc).   "yeah, let's sleep while we spend money we don't have."   Or the individual restrooms on each floor, wouldn't want to save even more money while having a communal restroom like every other building in the group.    Hell, if yer bored enough go onto the roof and use the golf green.   Screw around long enough on these two floors, the problem at hand will just "go away".  

3.)  One common trend is the insane amount of moves that a single person will make in a year.   I know that there is still a childish practice of a "Senior" wanting the cubicle or office from a rookie.   They moved the same person 5 times last year.   I know, I put the move in.   Each time a person moves, it costs around $750.  

4.)  Ford and GM are DONE regardless of how long "they gut it out".   Their piss poor Managerial skills have finally run past them.   Michigan is dead as a "Automotive Giant".    Ford's Credit status is B-, on the THRESHOLD of Junk Status.   Rumor is, (GM is hiding this one good so far) that GM's status is a notch below Ford.   It is a strong rumor, otherwise.  

5.)  Blame the UAW all that you want, but honestly, Ford's issue is NOT the UAW.   They are killing themselves from the Top on down.   The Top Level exec's are still REFUSING to institute common sense in terms of discretionary spending.   Their motto is "Spend now and/or skim while you can".
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2006, 04:01:22 PM »
When GM and Ford join hands, that will be the same day that Catholics and Muslims join hands in peace.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2006, 04:18:17 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
When GM and Ford join hands, that will be the same day that Catholics and Muslims join hands in peace.

I see you read my post.   :D

They EACH want to be the last, even if only for a day.   That "day" is coming up VERY SOON.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 04:33:43 PM »
Ford and GM merging, although it might be a shocker to some people,  would be no different than any other mergers/buyouts since the beginning of the American car industry.   Oldsmobile and Buick used to be seperate companys until bought out and rolled into General Motors.   Rambler got bought up by Nash, which merged with Hudson and created American Motors, which eventually found itself bought up by Chrysler.  
Packard bought out Studebaker
I think one of the things that is killing these companies is trying to make to many different model types.  Duplicating effort.   I think GM wastes alot of money making SUVs for Chevy, GMC, and Cadillac.  There are all esentially the same vehicle with comsmetic changes (grill, headlights) and interior trim levels.  They'd probably save a bundle if Chevy did regular cars, GMC did trucks and SUVs and Cadillac did the luxury cars (go ahead and kill Buick and Pontiac names and roll those models under Chevy)

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 04:51:23 PM »
"(go ahead and kill Buick and Pontiac names and roll those models under Chevy)"

Don't give them any ideas; GM would likely do something that stupid.  Buick does extremely well in parts of China.  It's a pretty signifigant success for GM.

Also, I believe Buick was the original company that aquired other companies which *formed* GM.

J_A_B

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 06:17:13 PM »
Is this a real merger, or actually a structured buyout of one or the other?Ford has bought out Volvo, Jag, Range Rover,etc. I would bet If there was a merger, Ford would be the dominant(aka Daimler in the Daimler-Chrysler deal.)

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 07:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
Don't give them any ideas; GM would likely do something that stupid.  Buick does extremely well in parts of China.  It's a pretty signifigant success for GM.
Also, I believe Buick was the original company that aquired other companies which *formed* GM.J_A_B

The cars themselves dont need to go away just the names or divisions. Buick, Pontiac, and Chevy are just names (although they do have a lot of brand recongnition) all the money they spend on marketing and branding is really a waste, underneath they are all the same.  
Under GM Chevy and GMC market and sell trucks and SUVs.  They spend money competing against each other.  They could cut some corporate fat ,model duplication and save a huge bundle of money just in marketing, design and executive pay.

I cant remember on Buick being the original.  Think Durant help found Buick then left and started General Motors then came back and got Buick and Oldsmobile

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 08:52:58 PM »
Well I dont mean for this to fall into a "management is just as wasteful as the union" kinda tirade.

I guess my basis for comparison is what's going on the in the airlines these days.  These folks know their company is on the brink and are conceeding a fair amount of pay, benies and even pensions in one case.  I've yet to see the UAW publically state how they'll help (asides pointing out how wasteful some areas of management are...).  

If things continue as they are, there will not be a GM and Ford.  Toyota is within striking range or surpassing GM.  Honda and Toyota are reaping record profits and looking to build more plants.  The domestics are floundering.

I'm just curious what their plan is.  The last time I saw a news clip on the UAW, they were blaming George Bush for all their woes.  Its a sad day when these guys strike out at political figures rather than face the facts...they are building vehicles people dont want and clearly...clearly...arent buying.  Maybe someday they'll face that reality.

But when I see on the evening news that each new car costs $1200 extra because of the health demands of the union...and research all the perks these guys have...I move along to another brand.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 10:38:31 PM »
Jeez,

Craptacular car company A merges with craptacular car company B.

That's sure to fix things!
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB