Author Topic: Fuel Burnin'  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Yoshimbo

• Nickel Member
      • http://freewebs.com/yoshimbo/
Fuel Burnin'
« on: September 20, 2006, 04:48:44 PM »
I need a list of which fuel tanks to use first to get maximum performance out of an aircraft.

I need to know it for fighters, attack planes, and yes even bombers.

any1 have a site with this info?

if not plz list.

for instance:

I've heard that in the ki-61 u should burn the wing tanks first to get better roll,
and with the ki84 u should burn the middle tank first

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Fuel Burnin'
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 04:59:17 PM »
ive never heard of anything like this before. I thought the fuel tanks effected how tight u could turn no matter which tank is empty

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
Fuel Burnin'
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 05:14:39 PM »
F4U-1, burn wing tanks first. the rest i dont know. in real planes, if i remember right, if the CG (center of gravity) is more towards the rear, your plane is less stable but more manuverable. if the CG is more towards the front, its less manuverable but more stable. if im wrong please someone correct me.

Offline Yoshimbo

• Nickel Member
Fuel Burnin'
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 05:21:26 PM »
I need to know which tanks to burn first in all the planes

so as to get THE MOST maneuveralbility out of 'em, stability can go sum where.

unless it's so unstable yer constantly fighting the plane trying not to crash, heheh

i want to know wich tanks to burn first to get the best performance out of the plane for a dogfight

edit: and is there a way to drain a fuel tank with out havein to fly round' for 20 min 20k over fight waitin' to get down to "ideal" fuel loads?

Offline moneyguy

• Silver Member
Fuel Burnin'
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 06:26:53 PM »
there is no way to drain fuel. try taking less fuel ( 50% or 75%) and a drop tank. release your tank when its empty or your ready to fight.

Offline Yoshimbo

• Nickel Member
Fuel Burnin'
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 06:48:35 PM »
true, true...

but sumtimes it's hard, take that EXTREMLY FUEL INEFFICIENT spitfire!:mad:

i find myself in situations where i need a 25% fuel load doesn't get me their and 50% is too much. sum models give ya a DT but, i'm no always in that model, i fly a variety of things, i suk in all of them, but that's besides the point.

also

i forgot to thank maoneyguy,

tx moneyguy, it's a start...

EDIT: thank god for the edit button.....wish a certain sum1 else would learn how to use it....then again...naw....funny as hell, the crap that comes his way
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 06:51:09 PM by Yoshimbo »

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
Fuel Burnin'
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 08:11:40 PM »
Spit doesn't need to drain fuel.:D

Edit: What I do with my 38 is take 75% and a DT. Use my DT to get there BnZ until about 50% of fuel then dog my way through it. As for some planes more fuel the better like a typhie will dive very well when its loaded up like a pig.:p
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Fuel Burnin'
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 08:16:54 PM »
Originally posted by Latrobe
ive never heard of anything like this before. I thought the fuel tanks effected how tight u could turn no matter which tank is empty

Center of gravity in relation the the center of lift can have a great effect on the stability of a plane.  
Here is (basic) article on the subject.

Much, but not all of AH planes have the optimum fuel consumption managment automatically.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Fuel Burnin'
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 08:17:14 PM »
It's great that you are trying to find out what to burn off for individual planes but in mentioning the spitfire as having too much or too little fuel on board (fob) you are telling me you are looking for an easy way out of learning to dogfight. Yes, burning off from tanks in some planes can give you a handling advantage but you really need to get used to flying the plane with enough fob to allow you to fly to the fight, fight the fight and return home. This doesn't mean you need to fill up all the tanks to do it. If you use your Spitfire as an example, normally you can take 50% fuel, drop tank and fly to the fight, drop the tank, fight until you either run out of ammo or get your fuel state down to 1/4 tank then fly home. It works and 50% fob is a fine fighting weigh. Try it, you'll like it. On last thing on the Spitfire. if you need the leg, the drop tank and 75% is a nice load out. You get there and will burn off 25% fuel before you know it.

On a side note, the ponies (P-51's), had an additional aux tank located behind the pilot. This had a tendency to move the center of gravity (CG) to far aft and caused the plane to snap when it wasn't expected. More than one pony pilot died because of it. In the game when you take off check the tanks. If there fuel in the aux tank, burn it off as you climb out. The pony also has long legs. You can take 50% and drop tanks and use WEP on climb out. 75% and no drop tanks is also a nice load.

My suggestion is learn to fight withi 50% fob and anytime you get lower, it's all gravy! :)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Fuel Burnin'
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 09:50:04 PM »
. The pony also has long legs. You can take 50% and drop tanks and use WEP on climb out. 75% and no drop tanks is also a nice load.
 [/B]

As a little addition, when I took a P51B into the air, i took 50% & drop tanks, but immediatly  dropped one of the tanks while still on runway. The remaining droptank has usually more than enough gas to get you to altitude and to your fight. Even on large maps , two droptanks had usually more fuel than I could burn before having to drop them.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Yoshimbo

• Nickel Member
Fuel Burnin'
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 10:06:47 PM »
good advice learing to fight on 50% and all,

but i'm not loooking for a easy way out of learning to dogfight

ya got me all wrong.

and as i mentioned b4 sum planes need certain fuel tanks burned first...ki61's wing tanks, like Murdr said, "not all of AH planes have the optimum fuel consumption managment automatically"

and also nuthin's wrong with getting yourself a handling advantage in a fight, IMO yer a tard if u don't, that's just thinking ahead. Why shouldn't you? no doubt yes it would be beneficial to learn to fight in a plane with a higher fuel load, but in the H2H their you rarely need for a high fuel load...sumtimes.

anyways, tx for the info on the p51's aux tank, i think the talking plywood box told me that once, forgot about it.

also tx for the suggestion on learing to fly stuff with 50% fuel.

keep em comin'

if i get enough i make make a webpage on all the "ideal" fuel loads.

I KNOW THE "BEST" load is 25% for dogfighting,(not range, doi) i mean which tanks are best used up first, for all those who'd like to know

Offline Nemeth

• Nickel Member
      • http://603sqdrn.collectivelyspaced.com/intro.html
Fuel Burnin'
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 10:17:47 PM »
This pretty much goes for all planes depending if they have the right tanks or not...

Turning: Aux - bottom - main (might have missed a couple FUS might b 1)
Rolling: Wings (planes w/ fuel in each wing drain 1 and then use internal and roll to the side w/ more in it, but this does make ur plane want to roll to the heavier side aswell)

Offline Yoshimbo

• Nickel Member
Fuel Burnin'
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 11:29:52 PM »
interesting, kewl

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
Fuel Burnin'
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 11:42:57 PM »
Burn the aft tank in a FW190F8.

It seems to handle a pull out much better if you burn the aft first.  Kind of handy when you are blowing up GV's ;)

Only bad thing is that once you have burned the aft you are down to 50% fuel at that point.

Should work for the other FW190's also, but I only use the F8 and A8, so the others might be different.

Plus I don't like the DT option due to the increased drag, at least on the remodeled planes.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Fuel Burnin'
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 11:53:14 PM »
Originally posted by Yoshimbo
I KNOW THE "BEST" load is 25% for dogfighting,(not range, doi) i mean which tanks are best used up first, for all those who'd like to know

You got it wrong....go home with 25%. That'll give you enuff to make AND fight if you run into some bad guys on the ride home. :)