Author Topic: A rational discussion about AH gameplay  (Read 2200 times)

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
A rational discussion about AH gameplay
« on: September 22, 2006, 03:19:55 AM »
The debates about gameplay have raged even back in 2001 and I suspect even longer than that.  It's been really tiring to see the same ol' stuff be argued ad-naseum.  If you don't believe me just do a few searches in the BBS and see.  Mostly I get a chuckle out of how zealous folks can get on the topic regardless of which religion they profess.  

There is an aspect of the gameplay debate though that has never failed to disturb me and that is how little recognition there is of just how terribly fallible we are as human beings to our own biases and filters and how easily we miss our own blinders.

"...humans are poor at evaluating probability. We tend to see patterns where there aren't, overestimate the probability of low frequency events and, most importantly, have a tendency towards comfirmation bias -- looking for evidence that confirm our preexisting beliefs."

With that in mind I thought I would try to demonstrate ways of challenging ourselves to be more objective and intellectually honest about the reality of things.  We tend to extrapolate our individual experiences as a given that the majority of folks experience the same things.  This is a terribly inaccurate way of sizing up what is happening as a whole.

So let's take a look at how much or how has gameplay changed in the Aces High MA of old etc?  Are there some ways to tangibly measure the above available to us?  A general proxy could be to look at stats available to the public AH community through the monthly kill stats database.  With that as a premise I went and pulled stats from 2001 to 2006.  To make it a somewhat reasonable exercise for me timewise I just did snapshots for the months of July and Dec from 2001 to 2006 (July 2001 was the earliest I could find monthly kill stats recorded for AH).

HOW HAS THE MA PLAYER BASE FLUCTUATED AS A WHOLE?
===========================================

If we assume that total number of kills (which also equals total deaths) in the MA as a proxy for the total MA player base population what does that tell us about the population?

So how has the MA population changed?  From Jul 2001 to Jul 2002 AH experienced a whopping 250% rate of growth.  From Jul 2002 onwards until now the rate of growth has essentially leveled off with roughly a +/- 25% change.  One of the possible conclusions is that players coming roughly equals the players leaving therefore balancing each other out which is resulting in a plateau in growth for AH over the last 4 years.

Folks who believe that a controversial change will be the death knell of HTC should take note of this because in those 4 years there have been some big changes with the AH2 and the ENY limiter system happening in that span yet there is no evidence that those changes adversely impacted their business if these stats are representative of total HTC player base subscription.

Let's take a look at some other stats.  The following are stats based on essentially the top 30 models in AH in terms of kills % and deaths %.  I arbitrarily cut it off at the top 30 to keep the graphs and tables somewhat readable.  It's also important to note that the top 30 make up about 80-85% of the total kills and deaths in the old MA.  There are 86 model types available in the planeset and vehicle set in AH.  Someone has already pointed this out recently (sorry I can't remember who it was that posted the stats!) but it's worth repeating.  That means 1/3 of the planeset and vehicle set in AH account for 80-85% of the kills/deaths in the MA while the other 2/3 account for the last 15-20% (which is a noteworthy stat).

HOW HAS THE PLANESET AND VEHICHLE SET USAGE CHANGED IN THE MA?
===========================================

One way we might extrapolate this is to look at distribution of % of total kills or deaths among planes and vehicles.  The following charts are the top 30 models sorted in order of average % of total kills or deaths.

This is a pretty revealing set of tables and graphs that reveal some fundamental shifts in model usage in AH which are bit surprising.  Several of the significant global trends stick out.

(1)   By far the greatest increase in usage is the Panzer IV compared to all other models of planes and aircraft.  
(2)   The Spitfire XVI quickly replaced the usage of Spitfire V’s and Spitfire IX’s.

This would indicate that of all the gameplay changes in AH, the one that has been significant is that of the increase in the GV battles.  

2ndly, the data appears to indicate that overall the other aspects of gameplay in terms of plane and vehicle usage hasn’t dramatically shifted and suggests that the idea that a significant increase or decrease in furballing or base capturing just isn’t reality over the course the AH history since 2001.  If they did, I would expect to see things like a drop in the use of N1K’s, a rise in the use of B-17’s, etc. etc.

All that being said these charts might not tell us the whole story because it is hard to gauge the volatility in kills and deaths of models given the scale being examined above.  The numbers represent % of the total so it’s harder to understand what a .5 % change for a model is for instance.

Another way to get a better sense of the volatility and trends in planeset and vehicle-set usage is to look at specific model and to understand the % above or below the median the kill and deaths fluctuate.  In other words if I take a specific plane and look at the median % of total kills or deaths in the MA, the amount of flunctuation above or below the median for that plane will tell me how much change that plane has experienced relative to it’s own usage.

Here are the tables and graphs:

Note that the median min and max volatility % for the top 30 models are:
- for kills: -50% and +33% respectively
- for deaths: -39% and +33% respectively

These tables give us a better idea of how much volatility each of the top 30 killers or death models experienced from 2001-2006.  The obvious ones from the previous charts stickout such as the Panzer IV, Spit IX, and Spit V changes.

Some other ones that we now see that have experienced noticeable changes are (fluctuations above and below the overall top 30 min/max medians).

(1) drop in P-51D usage
(2) drop in P-38L usage
(3) rise in bF110G-2 usage
(4) rise in Hurri II C usage
(5) drop in bF-109K4 usage
(6) drop in P-47D-40 usage
(7) drop in F6F-5 usage
(8) drop in B-17 usage
(9) crop in c-47 usage

Everything else with a few exceptions seems to have remained fairly steady over the course of time in AH.

Anyway, these are but some stats that might bring some rationality to the gameplay discussion.  Overall what I'm struck with is..

(1) how significant the ground war is growing in AH
(2) the slow reduction in diversity of aircraft usage in AH

What I don't see evidence of is that "furballing" is diminishing - but rather the diversity of the types of planes engaged in a furball are, nor do I see the base capture / strat gameplay increasing.

It'll be interesting to revisit this topic over time with the new arena settings.

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 05:14:55 AM »
Heck-of-a-post,dtango! :aok

I'll need some time to digest this data.
Cool!

Thanks
Sun
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline Booz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 06:09:52 AM »
Can drop in B-17 use be attrbuted to appearance of B-24?

Likewise, the P47-D40 is replaced by P-47N quite often now.

Offline Whisky58

• Copper Member
Re: A rational discussion about AH gameplay
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 06:57:10 AM »
Originally posted by dtango

It'll be interesting to revisit this topic over time with the new arena settings.

Tango, XO
412th FS Braunco Mustangs [/B]

I expect Hitech will have an interest also.

Phew - a mighty tome dtango, but good to see some science applied to a topic normally buried in anecdote and personal bias.

Thanks for that:aok
Whisky

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 07:02:07 AM »
Originally posted by Booz
Can drop in B-17 use be attrbuted to appearance of B-24?

As a bomber jock, that would be my guess. Also, I fear my lack of skill brought down the 109K :cry lol. Just to stick it to the man and be non-conformist, I swear not to touch a K for 6 months. Instead, I will fly the G-14! Get that pretty little bird on the list.

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2006, 07:03:54 AM »
Great job.  But I need to go sit down. My brain hurts.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 07:06:30 AM »
WOW! Good post dtango! :eek:
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 07:09:07 AM »
Aside from my pesonal feelings on this subject let me add a thought i have had for a number of years....

First a question:

WHO REALLY PLAYS AH? especially vs other games on the internet...

I am 37 yo and developed my  love for WW2 air war because i spent a year in a British boarding school...absolutely fell in love with the battle of britain.
when i look around the members of my squad and the other peeps i know, i would say that by far the average subscriber is 30-60 yo.  i am guessing that we are the generation who remember ww2 or had relatives in ww2 and therefore have an interest in the gameplay that gets us to do a trial period.

My fear has akways been that this game would eventually dry up as our "generation" got older and that there would not be enuf teenagers/20 yo to replace our ranks.  most of the 20ish guys i know are active or were active military....(persoanlly i would advertise on armed forces radio and other military locales all day long)  i think they have to be the future of this game.

the second question is of course: What creates a long time customer?

lol..gotta run...will post more later today:aok
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 07:09:58 AM »
great thread btw...hope we can take the discussion in this direction:aok
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 07:12:06 AM »
Originally posted by SuperDud
WOW! Good post dtango! :eek:

Agreed.  Thank you.

- oldman

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 07:14:40 AM »
Originally posted by FALCONWING

Community.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 07:40:55 AM »
Originally posted by FALCONWING
Aside from my pesonal feelings on this subject let me add a thought i have had for a number of years....

First a question:

WHO REALLY PLAYS AH? especially vs other games on the internet...

I am 37 yo and developed my  love for WW2 air war because i spent a year in a British boarding school...absolutely fell in love with the battle of britain.
when i look around the members of my squad and the other peeps i know, i would say that by far the average subscriber is 30-60 yo.  i am guessing that we are the generation who remember ww2 or had relatives in ww2 and therefore have an interest in the gameplay that gets us to do a trial period.

My fear has akways been that this game would eventually dry up as our "generation" got older and that there would not be enuf teenagers/20 yo to replace our ranks.  most of the 20ish guys i know are active or were active military....(persoanlly i would advertise on armed forces radio and other military locales all day long)  i think they have to be the future of this game.

lol..gotta run...will post more later today:aok

<---- 14 years old. Hate most games, because of lack of realism. Fell in love with world war two when I was about 3. My grandpa was a test pilot. He decided not to go into the glider corps and test instead. The rest of his unit that joined the gliders (They came from the same fighter unit, which was disbanned before the war) died in normandy. When I was in 3rd grade, my friends and I would draw out imaginary battles in World War Two, spending hours on each aircraft. We even did several large ship murals, including every single stairwell (took me 3 weeks). I bought CFS soon as I saw it, as well as pearl harbor zero hour and everything else. I feel we are drifting away from the large numbers, but closer twoard realism which is fine with me. Most of my squad is under the age of 18, and yet we still do the long, boring, realistic runs. So there are more teenagers, and although they dont live up to yours and my expectations as far as responsibility and maturity, trust me when I say I have my best people working on that ;)

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 07:50:37 AM »
Fantastic analysis dtango. Just amazing and thorough.

You know what else strikes me? I think it also gives an insight as to why HT made some of the changes he did. Think about it....

Variety of aircraft used was shrinking
ground war growing

what was the first arena setup HT switched to?

EW1
MW1
LW1 (Ground Vehicles)
LW2

That would triple the variety of aircraft used in theory, as well as give the ground pounders thier own haven for war.
I know that the decision probably goes much deeper, but it kind of makes sense, doesn't it?
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 08:13:58 AM »
I would love to see something other than the top 30%

I think that would be revealing too.

The early war planes need to be on that list.    lets see how they are being used over the years with the old MA and how they are being used this month.

HTC created a large toolbox... some who claim that they are WWII aficianados and battle of britan fans... would never get into a spit one in the old MA... they simply did not.   they weren't fans of WWII they were fans of the best planes in WWII with the biggest guns.

Those who really flew the early and slow planes against such "aficianados" knew how unfun it was.    Only something like the Hurri 2 with 4 monster cannons was much used.

All the charts and graphs are pretty but... what they show is....

How people liked, or were forced, to play in the old MA.

It will be fun to see how many planes make the "top 30" hit parade in a year or so and what new planes we will see..

I think everyone was about sick of the hit parade of the old MA.

I also think that the late war only and whorde arena also helped to get people out of fighters and into GV's..... they did it out of disgust for what was becomeing a very stale air war.

HT's new changes are a breath of fresh air to what the charts prove was a very stale MA.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2006, 08:17:40 AM »
Oh... a list of what new planes were developed over the last year or two and the ones developed over the next year might be revealing too...

why put all the effort into modeling some of the most important planes in the war when the "aficianados" would just turn their nose up (and vultch em) in the old MA?  

So what did we get?   What will we get now?

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's