Author Topic: A rational discussion about AH gameplay  (Read 2203 times)

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
A rational discussion about AH gameplay
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2006, 01:11:01 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
EagleDNY: While I agree on the more interesting reading. It realy is not in HTC's best interst to release data.

HiTech

Don't be so sure.  I know it wouldn't be prudent to release data like the number of paid subscribers per month or number of free 2 week trials started (thats clearly proprietary), but releasing data on the number of kills landed per ride wouldn't be a bad thing.  You might get some folks interested in trying some new rides out, or it might tell you something about how some of your rides are really being used (suicide rate indicator for example) so that you can do some more tweaking.

EagleDNY
$.02

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2006, 01:30:40 PM »
EagleDNY: Agreed on data like plane stats.

HiTech

Offline Puck

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2006, 01:36:31 PM »
Be interesting to know how the ratio of kills/hours flown has changed over time and particularly what effect the new arena setup has had.
//c coad  c coad run  run coad run
main (){char _[]={"S~||(iuv{nkx%K9Y$hzhhd\x0c"},__
,___=1;for(__=___>>___;__<((___<<___<<___<<___<<___
)+(___<<___<<___<<___)-___);__+=___)putchar((_[__
])+(__/((___<<___)+___))-((___&

Offline kamilyun

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2006, 02:28:11 PM »
Poppycock!

The sky IS falling and HTC must cater to my demands!

:D

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2006, 02:44:31 PM »
Originally posted by EagleDNY
Don't be so sure.  I know it wouldn't be prudent to release data like the number of paid subscribers per month or number of free 2 week trials started (thats clearly proprietary), but releasing data on the number of kills landed per ride wouldn't be a bad thing.  You might get some folks interested in trying some new rides out, or it might tell you something about how some of your rides are really being used (suicide rate indicator for example) so that you can do some more tweaking.

EagleDNY
$.02

How could you distinguish between a suicide and something esle?

Eg -
Every pork run I go on I intend to live.
Doesn't always work out that way.
a) 1 ping pilot kill from ack/
b) Lose a wing or something to ack.
c) Hit by the gazillions of cons.

This could happen
a) Just after releasing eggs.
b) On climb out.

Could be a newb in a P-38/190/etc for the first time and lawndarts accidently.

So how do you tell the difference?

I think the true AH suicider is a rare animal most oftenly confused with genuine attempts or newbs.

Another ex -
Sinking a CV.
We'll up 6-7 Hellcats to sink it.
You know you'll lose a few to the 5" on the way in, is this suicide? Or in fact more closer to reality.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2006, 02:49:20 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2006, 04:15:44 PM »
Reading between the lines, although the player base has enjoyed modest growth, the average kill per player has gone down...........

This means that the average fun per average player has gone down..............

on top of this the kill spread has shifted to favour a smaller % of experten....

If community spirit is poor or medi-ocre then what incentive is there for non experten to stay?

New subscribers most definately come under the heading of non experten

The above would cause a high turnover of new subscribers............ retain the new subscribers for a longer period and  modest growth becomes  more significant growth.

HT would know the effect on his business model if he could just retain each new subscriber an average of  # months longer than he does now.

If there was something he could do to brush up the welcome mat and create more fun for new subscribers he would do it.

All very interesting..........

except I cannot see a firm correlation between the above and how it is served by EW, MW and LW (MA) arena's.

What I do see is that these arenas effectively enlarge the usable plane set. They make ac that are not viable (in the old MA) into very viable and fun rides within their own arenas.

This effectively gives us more choice.....hurrah :)

1)I think there is too much choice for off peak periods.....low numbers effect game play

2)I think the ENY side balance incentive is presently poorly implemented for lower numbers.........

3)I think limiting the arena size of the LW is an error. (although I can see the incentive I do not think you can force folk into other arenas and sustain it)

4)I think there are some errors re the ac allowed in the EW and MW arenas.

However all of the above can be adjusted as HTC fine tune what they have done....and 4) may be just my opinion.

This still leaves the original challenge however.......how do we make it more fun for newbies?
Ludere Vincere