Author Topic: Spit I "flat spin"  (Read 499 times)

Offline Jenks

• Nickel Member
Spit I "flat spin"
« on: September 22, 2006, 03:41:20 PM »
I have posted in the Aircraft section about this and thought I might ask here if it is a possible bug.

Basically,  you can put the MkI in an unrecoverable,usually upside down(though it doesn't always start that way) "flat spin" tho it isn't really spinning it just sort of floats. The nose never points down. Obviously once it is upside down the engine quits but I have entered this problem right side up engine still running, then it soon flips upside down and you're there for the duration. No amount of gear,flap, aileron,rudder combination helps.

Others have posted in the thread I started that they have experienced it also.  I did an, albeit cursory, search on the internet and there is not one mention of this trait in anything.  Also I have tried to duplicate this in other spits , VIII,IX  and I could not. The plane simply never stayed in that attitude, the nose always came down.

Thanks,
Jenks
MA  The Flying Circus
     Clown in training

FSO  JG11

Offline BugsBunny

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Spit I "flat spin"
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 03:12:09 PM »
the V does the same

Offline 68slayr

• Nickel Member
Spit I "flat spin"
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 04:32:00 PM »
i get in a flat spin every once in a while in Mossie... its a spin/ float to the ground.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Spit I "flat spin"
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 03:03:19 AM »
Originally posted by BugsBunny
the V does the same

Yep. But its easier to get out then the SMk1, cause its engine keeps running :).
21 is only half the truth.

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Spit I "flat spin"
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 10:57:30 AM »
I agree the spit 1 and the spit V do this.  The spit 1 is the worse.  They flip onto their backs and drop....NO SPIN.  They end up inverted falling usually very slowly.  There is nothing you can do to save the plane.  I have experienced this a number of time in the MK1.  I have tried all known tricks to correct it.... can't.

To duplicate this pull a hard left with right rudder.  Flipperdy flop watch the inverted drop. :rolleyes: