Author Topic: For those following the WWIIO saga...  (Read 898 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
For those following the WWIIO saga...
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2001, 06:56:00 PM »
I can't believe some of you jack-asses take pleasure in the financial demise, or the financial struggles of, a bunch of people trying their damndest to bring a concept to life that they BELIEVE in very much but, on upon further consideration based on reading the Aces High BBS from it's inception, i'm not surprised at all........  

Neither am I Cabby.. it's no surprise at all that folks around here prefer to fly and support a sim that actually works on a machine that they CURRENTLY own, and is used to gettin what they pay for. AH is (surprise) STILL the best damn WWII flight sim available anywhere. You might wanna give Aces High a try yourself... but get another handle. And learn to fly.

:)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Cabby44

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2001, 07:08:00 PM »
Quote:

"STILL the best damn WWII flight sim available anywhere. You might wanna give Aces High a try yourself... but get another handle. And learn to fly."

Sez you. Did, passed.  Have had a SEL Hi-Performance Retract License since 1980........

Moto:

Yes, you can say whatever you like, but you are still a jack-ass.......

Cya

Offline Ozark

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2001, 07:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Cabby44:
Quote:
Have had a SEL Hi-Performance Retract License since 1980........

Cya

Cool...Got mine in 1976 when I was 17.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2001, 07:29:00 PM »
"Whether ANY Online MMP WWII Air Combat Sim can survive economically is very much in doubt. "

The only thing in doubt is whether they can survive going corporate.

AW lived since 1986, going corporate eventually killed it.

WB's Has been around since 1994, going corporate seems to be slowly killing it.

FA...well it always was corporate, but it isn't the same type of game as WB, AW and AH is.

WW2OL had to sell out to survive long enough to make it to store shelves, now it is suffering.  

AH is currently NOT corporate, and is doing fine by all accounts.

J_A_B

Offline Raubvogel

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2001, 07:31:00 PM »
That's bad news. I paid my dues and my $40 trying to like that game. It just wasn't going to happen.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2001, 07:34:00 PM »
I don't know the people that got layed off at WW2O any more than the folks who lost jobs when Edsel closed. Sorry folks lost jobs. Same as I'm sorry when anytime anyone anywhere gets layed off. But the product stunk to high heavan. No matter how much heart and soul some said they were putting into it the thing was defective to the core. I personally don't care much if CRS closes shop.  Same with EA and AirWarrior.  

The combined battlefield...The all encompassing war is a dream has always been around. Playnet didn't invent that dream. They may have tried to make it real but so far seem to be failing pretty bad. In spite of all their hype. If they close the dream won't die with them. People have wanted to play in that type of environment and always will. I was one. I would have easily and gladly payed $10/mo for a working, fun feature filled WW2O sim. My interest in WW2O sank like a 50ton lead weight back in May when I found out from beta testers just how plowed up the thing REALLY was. Again, in spite of the lies and hype from CRS stating the contrary.

"i'm not surprised at all........"
Cabby, that's because you have a couple of gears slipping away "upstairs".

Westy

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: O'Westy ]

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2001, 08:24:00 PM »
Originally posted by O'Westy:
...The combined battlefield...The all encompassing war is a dream has always been around....   Westy
[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: O'Westy ]

Yeah, stuff like fighters and bombers, tanks, flaks, trucks, convoys, trains, carrier groups, submarines, amphibious troop carriers,  a supply system, maybe a FPS bit for field capture...

if only SOMEBODY would work on a WW2 game like that and it actually worked. Of course, you'd want them to keep improving it and putting out an update every three months or so.

Man, that would be something, wouldn't it? It'd have to be affordable too... maybe $15 a month or so.

:D

Life is good.. if you know where to look!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2001, 09:30:00 PM »
Cabby, allow me to tell yah a lil story 'bout a guy I know.. he's got a fancy piece of paper sez he's a hot toejam pilot too. And he's spent a gazzillion hours flyin all kindsa kewl stuff everywhere. For money. Every day. The same self annoited god took the controls of his purdy new 1/4 scale R/C airplane and promptly augered it.

He can't fly a WWII flight sim worth a toejam either.

The posession of skills in one has not one lil thing to do with the other.

Oh, BTW; yer a Tard too.

;)
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2001, 10:18:00 PM »
IMO, its bad planning. All CRS had to do is look at what happened to other developers who gave the rights of their game to big companies (publishers) and/or put themselves on a "slave" position to the corporations.

BC3K, Planetary Raiders... and many other games suffered of this, and only BC3K still lives on..because the developer went solo after re-acquiring the rights to his own game. www.3000ad.com  .

What happened to CRS? From what i've seen and experienced in my painful 2 months of owning that piece of crappy software: CRS starts making game, but go to big daddy publisher for support. At this point it becomes fuzzy if it was the publisher that "forced" them into releasing the game or if it was a mutual act of desperation. In any case, CRS clearly did not plan at ALL for any aspect of gameplay, relying on just pumping up the number of units on the game and fixing the horrido amount of bugs (a joke flew around that WW2OL was a Bug with delusions of gaming).

Ye all know the ridiculous tank quake fest it was, the laughable flight model and the total uselessness of the infantry.

Then came to total lack of costumer support and tech support, the HUGE amount of lies and broken promises from CRS and the intense confrontations between costumers and CRS staff on the boards... not a healthy thing for any community.

Looking back at it, I think the ONLY thing they got better than other online games out there is the fact that their AI A-A gunners had to RELOAD their guns after firing their clip!

Let WW2OL go down, perhaps Microsoft will buy it out and do something with it.

I think CRS really had no clue what they were doing in the first place.  :(

Offline Cabby44

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2001, 10:21:00 PM »
Get a WB's account, Hangtime, and put your money where your mouth is.  I'm not the one slamming "your" sim, i just don't choose to play it.  I'm also not enough of a juvenile to "challenge" your computer-game "flying ability".

So if you want to prove i can't play a game as well or better than you, you will have to get that WBIII account and, as they say, "show me".......

BTW, you go on thinking you are some kind of "flying ace" and that you are "flying" the "best" computer simulation available.  I may be, as you say, a "Tard", but i'm not delusional........

Cabby

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Cabby44 ]

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2001, 11:32:00 PM »
Well I'd like to comment on the layoffs of some people I have known online and met in person and even partied with.  But somebody has turned this into yet another moronic "community war" so I am OUT.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2001, 07:44:00 AM »
lol. Toad...you're so ... subliminal  ;)

But yes, you are 100% correct  :)

Westy

Offline Mighty1

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2001, 07:45:00 AM »
Well I don't like to good people lose jobs but I kinda think this is more like a mercy killing.

CRS is going under and the sooner some of these guys get out the better they will be.
I have been reborn a new man!

Notice I never said a better man.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2001, 08:35:00 AM »
Just for the record, as I've said many times before, I'm in support of anyone doing a WW2 air combat game. WB, AW, FA, AH, WW2OL, I salute them all.

Competiton is good and it improves the breed. Obviously, no matter what we like to think, the marketplace isn't going to support them all. There will be a Darwinistic result.

AW stopped progressing (for whatever reason). It was "Darwined" out.

WW2OL, admirable for it's vision and notable for it's ambition, was "Darwined" out because in the words of Lieutenant General Frederick Browning, "But, sir, I think we might be going a bridge too far."

Had WW2OL started a bit more modestly, done it right and then expanded into an all aspect WW2 game they might have made it.

Without a shred of proof, I personally think it's quite possible that AH is headed that way. It started with a viable, workable ACM aspect. It has garned enough of a player base to survive and fund further expansion, without selling its soul to the "suits". Clearly, the expansion continues; HT's recent interview gave a peek at the possibilities. Funded by its own happy player base, the future looks interesting indeed.

I salute the WW2OL team for what they tried to accomplish.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2001, 08:54:00 AM »
Great another post from crabby.Another I need attention post and my sim is better than your sim.  :rolleyes:

Why do you think we even care what you think anymore?Pull down your IEN cheer leader skirt,as your bellybutton is showing again.

You know if you try real hard you might be able to join mg and bobn as stellar members of your beloved community.

A lot of us came from warbirds and still have a lot of friends there.I am just glad you are not representitive of most of them.

Frodo

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.