Author Topic: “Ugly Duckling” Shotgun.  (Read 326 times)

Offline G0ALY

• Nickel Member
“Ugly Duckling” Shotgun.
« on: September 30, 2006, 02:58:14 PM »
Hello again! He is one of interesting finds from this week’s auction... For 40 bucks I picked up an antique double barrel 12guage black powder shotgun. It looked to be solid but a little rough. Here are the before and after pictures.

]

All I did was a VERY light cleaning to the metal. It has the original brown finish, not the more modern bluing. The barrels are signed “D. Crum”. I stripped the old varnish off of the stock and was surprised to find one of the nicest pieces of curly maple I have ever seen. I did not add any stain, I just hand rubbed three coats of tung oil into it.

It looks sharp hanging in the den. Not bad for a forty-buck ugly duckling.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 04:26:11 PM by G0ALY »
My password at work had to contain exactly 8 characters… I chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
“Ugly Duckling” Shotgun.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 10:04:12 PM »
Very beautiful! Great restoration, Goaly!:aok

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
“Ugly Duckling” Shotgun.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 10:07:59 PM »
Wow, that gun really looks nice.  I bet people will really be surprised when you tell them how much you bought it for.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
“Ugly Duckling” Shotgun.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 10:11:35 PM »
I'll give you $120 for it right now. That would look good hanging over our fireplace mantel. :)

soupnazi60@yahoo.com

Offline G0ALY

• Nickel Member
“Ugly Duckling” Shotgun.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 03:51:01 AM »
Thanks for the kind offer… But I think I’ll enjoy it in the den for at least a little while.

Goaly
My password at work had to contain exactly 8 characters… I chose Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
“Ugly Duckling” Shotgun.
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 12:19:16 PM »
Very nice wall hanger there and a great piece of stock work. Does it have damascus barrels?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown