Author Topic: GeForce 256  (Read 999 times)

Offline TRiMmer

• Copper Member
GeForce 256
« on: January 30, 2000, 03:51:00 PM »
I have been using 2-Voodoo2 in SLI mode, never had any lock ups.  Recently installed a 3D Prophet-Geforce256 video card.  Since installation, I get totally random lockups.  They seem to happen more often with alot of radio traffic.  I also installed a NIC to use with a cable modem at the same time.  No other application has had any problems.  I have checked everything in the bios and installed latest version of drivers and dx 7.0a.  It is starting to get to me.    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

trm

Offline Rebel28

• Copper Member
GeForce 256
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2000, 11:38:00 PM »
Go to Nvidia get the detonator drivers 3.68 you will not have any more problems.
Reb28
4th Fighter Group
~ The Gunslingers ~

Offline TRiMmer

• Copper Member
GeForce 256
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2000, 12:29:00 AM »
Thank you Rebel28 for your response.  I did as you suggested, but the problems still persist.  I am down to changing soundcard or upgrading motherboard and processor at this point, those are the only things I have not changed.    Thanks again.

trm

Offline weazel

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
GeForce 256
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2000, 12:37:00 AM »
 Check the AGP aperture size in the BIOS and set it to the card/mobo manufacturers recommended size. If your using an overclocking program reduce the speed,do you have enough case cooling? Heat is a big factor in most problems of this nature,and is the first thing you should eliminate,remove the side panel of your case and see if it helps. In c:\program files\directx run the DX Diagnosis utility and disable the AGP support-this seems to help some times. I feel your pain-I had a similiar problem and tried EVERYTHING I outlined above and even fdisked/formatted my hard disks-turned out to be a bad keyboard causing the "radio bug".

------------------
}]
 JG2 "Richthofen"

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
GeForce 256
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2000, 04:48:00 PM »
You also might want to try updating your sound card's drivers.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

"If it's stupid but works, it's not stupid."

Offline Big Mac

• Zinc Member
      • http://None
GeForce 256
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2000, 10:14:00 AM »
I also recently purchased the 3D Prophet DDR and was experiencing some lock ups. It turned out to be overclocking problems. In researching, I read on video message boards of similar problems that you are getting.  The Geoforce are very particulier about IRQ's. I would first look to make sure it is not sharing any.  Then I would temporily remove the NIC card and see if I get lockups.  Then you might try it in a different slot.  There is also a list on Gullimonts web site that has compatible motherboards.  There are quite a few that have had some problems.

Offline BBGunn

• Zinc Member
GeForce 256
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2000, 04:22:00 PM »
It was mentioned on another website that Nvidia is coming out with a "3.75" driver for Gforce.  However, Toms hardware received a 3.76 beta version which speeds up KX133 chip boards (only test versions exist) but unfortunately does not do much for irongate chip boards.  Athlon users might want to check out what's going over at tomshardware.

Offline Rebel28

• Copper Member
GeForce 256
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2000, 10:31:00 PM »
If you want the 3.75 drivers you can get them here. http://www.reactorcritical.com/download.shtml

Reb28
4th Fighter Group
~ The Gunslingers ~

Offline Tern

• Zinc Member
GeForce 256
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2000, 01:39:00 PM »

Originally posted by TRiMmer:
Thank you Rebel28 for your response.  I did as you suggested, but the problems still persist.  I am down to changing soundcard or upgrading motherboard and processor at this point, those are the only things I have not changed...

trm
Makes a guess here... You're running all this on an AMD k-6 or K7?  If so, I've been told by reliable source that HTC hasn't supported the AMD chipsets yet and no matter what card you use, you'll still get cruddy vid and lockups.     Sorry to bear the bad news.
(Sources available on request)

------------------
O.E. 'Tern' Dillon
"Live to Fly!  Fly to Fight!  Fight to Live!"