Author Topic: so long habeus corpus.  (Read 5849 times)

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
so long habeus corpus.
« on: October 18, 2006, 02:31:55 AM »
it's been fun.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 03:40:27 AM by JB88 »
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

storch

so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 07:16:23 AM »
please rephrase your post, I may have lots of time on my hands this morning.

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
Re: so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 07:23:38 AM »
Originally posted by JB88
it's been fun.

mmmmmkaaaayyyyy :huh
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 09:10:59 AM »
It's not all bad, if that pesky militia movement flairs up again this can be used to stomp it out post haste. I bet Hilary will be so inclined.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 09:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by storch
please rephrase your post, I may have lots of time on my hands this morning.

fun it has been?

:confused:
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 10:00:08 AM »
What did I miss?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2006, 10:03:27 AM »
Apparently we are missing any meaningfull post at the start of the thread.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2006, 10:13:37 AM »

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2006, 10:21:39 AM »
Ad Hominem is the concept best used to describe the lack of response on this board to the current situation.

"Chairboy, you CRAZY!" you might find yourself exclaiming,.

If a Democrat was behind these changes that were leading to the loss of rights, the "annulment" of portions of the constitution, and other nefariousness, this group would be jumping up and down and screaming.  But the fact that it's a Republican administration doing it seems to have "blessed" these violations, no matter how egregious they are.

The president has essentially stated that he can classify anyone as an enemy combatent (domestic or foreign) and that constitutional protections no longer apply to that person.  There are people being held (even US citizens) by the US who have no contact with legal representation, no access to speedy trial, and are just being sat on.  This violates just about everything in the 4th and 6th amendments.

I'm no democrat, so this is hardly a "we're better than you" argument.  This is a constitutional problem, and that's the perspective I'm coming to this with.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 10:24:29 AM »
The legislation allows President Bush or Donald Rumsfeld to declare anyone — US citizen or not — an enemy combatant, lock them up and throw away the key without a chance to prove their innocence in a court of law. In other words, every thing the Founding Fathers fought the British empire to free themselves of was reversed and nullified with the stroke of a pen, all under the guise of the War on Terror.

Constitutional expert Jon Turley: "People have no idea how significant this is. Really a time of shame this is for the American system.—The strange thing is that we have become sort of constitutional couch potatoes. The Congress just gave the President despotic powers and you could hear the yawn across the country as people turned to Dancing With the Stars. It's otherworldly..People clearly don't realize what a fundamental change it is about who we are as a country. What happened today changed us. And I'm not too sure we're gonna change back anytime soon."
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 10:36:33 AM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Ad Hominem is the concept best used to describe the lack of response on this board to the current situation.

The ad hominem fallacy is an informal logical fallacy, formally known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument at the person"), where a participant argues that a belief is incorrect because of some failure or flaw in the person making the argument.

So failure to respond is a personal attack?
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 10:40:10 AM »
As Chairboy said, welcome to 1775.

Check to see how your representatives voted:

http://www.vote-smart.org/issue_keyvote_detail.php?vote_id=3906

- Specifies that enemy combatants are not able to invoke rights under the Geneva Convention (Sec. 948b (g))

- Prohibits courts, justices, or judges from hearing or considering writs of habeas corpus or any other action filed by or on the behalf of detained enemy combatants (Sec. 7(e(1)(2)))

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 10:52:06 AM »
I was mistaken, I meant to write 'fundamental attribution error'.  I apologize for the confusion.  Essentially, BECAUSE it comes from person 1, the logical fallacy of the argument is overlooked.

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 11:42:43 AM »
well a little bacl info from the thread starter would have been nice....peachy even. thanxs choirboy for clearing up some of the confusion.

I have been working alot of OT the last few days and so i havent been able to catch much of the news. Any links or further info on this?
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
so long habeus corpus.
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 11:47:57 AM »