Author Topic: Newbie, should i or not  (Read 2317 times)

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Newbie, should i or not
« on: October 24, 2006, 02:32:25 PM »
Hello everyone, i've seen commercials for this game and finally decided to check the site out. only problem i've never played any type of flight simulator on a CPU much less a PS2.

SO my my question is how far over my head would i be getting to this as my first Flight SIM experience? should i buy some other SIM learn there then bounce over here?

Thanks for any advice guys.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 02:35:56 PM »
Come on in, the water is fine.

HiTech

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 02:37:53 PM »
Whitman,  if you have never flown a flight sim before, pc or consol, you should still try Aces High.  There is no cost for the software download and you can fly offline and see if its something you want to learn and play.   If you like it and think you want to try flying against real people, then your first two weeks online are free.   If you decide you're not ready then you're not out any money.  
If you think you need more practice you could purchase a box sim and gain some experience that way also.

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 02:38:03 PM »
Well, we've all started from somewhere. This is as good a place as any other (or in my opinion even better). The game download is free*, these forums are free, so go ahead and try it. There's the help & training section to get you started with a lot of nice people answering your questions. Help files might be a good place to start, see they make any sense to you. If they don't, then it's time for those questions.

So I'd say go ahead and try it. Welcome to AH!

edit: Damn I'm a slow typer, both HT and Airscrew said it faster. :)
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 02:38:49 PM »
i would go to the training arena first--learn the basics---then when you feel comfortable move on to the ew arena--some good planes in there . then just bounce around awhile in different arenas.  make some friends---ask questions--but not too many when you are in a arena---if you have alot of questions or something that might take a while to learn go to the training arena again-----have fun--but there is a fairly steep learnign curve in the arenas.---if i can ever be of any help--look me up--(i,m on the bishop side)  cya bud---welcome to the game!!!!!

p.s---go to walmart and get a 20 dollar joystick---it will make this game a whole lot easier!!
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006, 02:39:45 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Come on in, the water is fine.

HiTech

:rofl  no joke last time i heard that when i was surfing a lemon shark bit my buddies foot.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006, 02:40:14 PM »
2 week free trial. Check it out. If you're utterly lost at first (very common), stop in the Training Arena (actual real people teaching you actual useful stuff), and there are several player-run websites that offer all sorts of useful info. The game is pretty diverse, featuring all sorts of events and gameplay arenas. There's no real primer game for this that I'm aware of. If you're completely new to flight sims, the learning curve is probably considerably higher than most games, but IMO, well worth the effort. The only things you need are a PC, a joystick and patience. Lots of it. ;)
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006, 02:40:41 PM »
Best bet is to do some reading first. Go to trainers.hitechcreations.com and netaces.org to get an understanding of the basics of flying, fighting, and AH2.

You'll also want to get a decent joystick to fly with.

You can practice offline before you set up your account and when you do start flying online you'll find helpful people in the training arena.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006, 02:42:37 PM »
man you guys don't waste time, guess my next question is what joystick should i get? Thanks, i'll be reading those sites for the next couple days.

Offline The Fury

• Silver Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2006, 02:43:41 PM »
Yeah you will be just fine whiteman there is plenty of people who will take care of you if you join there is a training arena were there is always someone to help you out and there is a offline mode too were you can just fly around and do what you want.

There is also a two week free trial so why not just give it a bash for two week and see what you make of it.

I was reletivly(spelled wrong) new to the game when i started but with enough help and practise after a few month i was able to hold my own in the main arenas.:aok

Now its like really addictive best flight sim out there in my oppinion :aok

Anyway hope to see you in the cartoon skies sometime.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 02:45:49 PM by The Fury »
The Few
England    www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
The Few  (Tour 77)                                                                                            Currently Flying as Fury

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2006, 02:47:31 PM »
walmart has a saitek 290 pro that sells for bout 20 bucks-----its a decent stick to start with--if you don,t like it--you.re only out 20 bucks--cya
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2006, 02:51:28 PM »
Originally posted by whiteman
man you guys don't waste time, guess my next question is what joystick should i get? Thanks, i'll be reading those sites for the next couple days.

for just starting out I would keep it inexpensive, a Sateik stick, theres one out there for about $20-25 I think.  They're a little sturdier than other sticks and hold up well when thrown against a wall :lol

go to Best Buy, Frys, Comp USA, or your favorite electronics store and try them out, find one that fits your hand best, not all joysticks are alike.  Satiek has the Cyborg (i think) thats adjustable but it runs around $50.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006, 02:58:04 PM »
Thanks everyone! made that easy, maybe i'll see some of yall in the next couple weeks.

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006, 03:05:47 PM »
Saitek what ever you do.. Also if you like the game it would be wise to upgrade fast when learning. Its a blast and have fun with it. If you get shot down our can hit anything that's what makes this game special. The skill level is very high and unlike other games 1 man that is a good stick equals about 6 newbs. If you into fast twitch games this game is not for you. But if your into 1v1 people yelling check your 6 heart pumping multi cons fights then you will have a blast. Also this game has lots of old farts so not too many squeaker's kids around, their are a few..

BTW beware of the Rook Spitfire 16 around 6,000 feet over your base.. LOL

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006, 03:23:22 PM »
Originally posted by FX1
BTW beware of the Rook Spitfire 16 around 56,000 feet over your base.. LOL

dont worry Fx, I fixed it for ya, :aok