Author Topic: Newbie, should i or not  (Read 2318 times)

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006, 03:42:12 PM »
Whiteman, i started playing this game with no prior experience in flight sims either. Theres nothing to loose trying it out, and much to gain.

As has already been said, check out the Trainer Corps homepage http://trainers.hitechcreations.com and http://www.netaces.org to get more familiar with the game, how it works and whats to be expected.

Also, never hesitate to ask questions in the Help and Training Forum if you cant find an answer.

To get help Online, visit the Training Arena (this will trigger your 2 week trial period) - usually a trainer or longtime player there that can help you out.
Or you contact us through our site/per email to Trainers@hitechcreations.com to schedule training, please include your ingame name and times you are available.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006, 03:45:56 PM »
Originally posted by FX1
Saitek what ever you do.. Also if you like the game it would be wise to upgrade fast when learning. Its a blast and have fun with it. If you get shot down our can hit anything that's what makes this game special. The skill level is very high and unlike other games 1 man that is a good stick equals about 6 newbs. If you into fast twitch games this game is not for you. But if your into 1v1 people yelling check your 6 heart pumping multi cons fights then you will have a blast. Also this game has lots of old farts so not too many squeaker's kids around, their are a few..

BTW beware of the Rook Spitfire 16 around 6,000 feet over your base.. LOL

sounds like i'm going to enjoy this. I've played what PS2 calls flight SIMS "Ace Combat" and "Heros of the Pacific" stuff, to arcade and only being able to fly against one other player gets old fast but held me over long enough.

and i'll look out for that spitfire :aok

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2006, 04:11:56 PM »
Hey White welcome aboard..  I'm in my fifth or six month and this is the first flight sim I've ever done on a pc.

I took my free download and read the help and training boards going back for a year or so.  Did the $20 saitek thing to see if it was something I would want to stick with and flew offline for a little over a week just getting used to things.  Asked a lot of questions and made plenty of self depricating comments about my skills and managed to get overloaded with info.  

Now I'm in a great squad and, even though I suck horribly at the acm, I still love every chance I get to up no matter if it's in the TA, MA, or events that they put on.

I've moved up to CH gear and think it has really helped since my hands never have to leave the stick or throttle.

Bottom line is I hope you enjoy it as much as I have so far.

:aok
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2006, 04:16:39 PM »
Make sure your PC is up to the task. This is hardly the most demanding 3D game, but I would say something in the AMD 2500xp processor range, or an Intel at the same spec, and a reasonable mid-range 3D graphics card (usually not onboard graphics unless it is one of the hotter onboard solutions offered in the last year or so) are basic requirements. You can get by with less, but the minimum specs noted here (as with such specs in general) would be a pretty rough experience, IMO. If you can play any of the latest first person shooters (HL2, for example) you are more than fine.

Charon
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 04:19:15 PM by Charon »

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2006, 07:09:09 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Come on in, the water is fine.

HiTech

says the creature with the fin.

:cool:
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
Re: Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2006, 07:13:36 PM »
Originally posted by whiteman
Hello everyone, i've seen commercials for this game and finally decided to check the site out. only problem i've never played any type of flight simulator on a CPU much less a PS2.

SO my my question is how far over my head would i be getting to this as my first Flight SIM experience? should i buy some other SIM learn there then bounce over here?

Thanks for any advice guys.

You should without a doubt. If you are intrested in flight sims and WW2 you will love it. If you arent you soon will be:aok

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2006, 09:27:36 PM »
DO NOT BUY A LOGITECH STICK!!!!

I have one and I have to recalibrate it constantly.. God only knows how much my rudder is flapping around between recalibrations.

some day soon my woman is going  to buy me some CH gear .. I just know it!:D

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2006, 09:34:23 PM »
oh .. to answer your question, only join if you like ..

1. flying
or
2. blowing stuff up
or
3. world war 2 era planes tanks etc

or
4. all of the above

The download is free ... how can you go wrong..besides .. everytime a new guy signs up it increases my chances of actually shooting someone down:D ..kinda like a big pyramid scheme but with explosions and stuff:rolleyes:

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 09:57:38 PM »
^^^^^^

:rofl

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2006, 02:15:18 AM »
man read the first site suggested, thats a lot to take in. i'm gunna go ahead and start this weekend so yall should have some fresh meat in a couple weeks :cry

Offline lagger86

• Nickel Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 02:36:14 AM »
My advice is skip all the smart stuff like learning anything(having never played a flight sim) and just submerge yourself in getting shot up, talked down to, and being called a noob....however you should be warned that you will also meet very kind and helpfull people that(no matter how many times they kill you) will also help you learn and grow in a very hard game to get good at. If you like playing a game for a couple of weeks and get to the point where it's not a challenge so you switch to something else, then AH is not for you...but if you want a game that MAKES you learn real tactics against REAL people then I couldn't tell you a better game than this one. Yeah there is smack talking and yeah it is very frustrating, but any good game involves those things no matter if it's hockey,football, baseball, or a tough faught game of dodgeball...if it's easy it get's boring....this game is not easy....but it's alot of fun.
Lagger

Offline sgt203

• Nickel Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 04:14:46 AM »
White,

This is a great game and lots of fun and there is alot to learn....

As suggested to go netaces OR AH Trainers area and read everything you can about ACM it will help you understand what you need to do

Ive only been playing a couple months and am not a very good stick I get killed alot more than I kill but I have a blast...

If your not sure if your going to like it or not dont invest too much money in a stick and/or headphones/mic you can get along Ok without the real expensive stuff for now...I do recommend a mic as when I was just starting out it was impossible for me to type and fly at same time, now I wont fly without one...

You will find youll get your butt shot off ALOT in the arenas but you will also learn alot from it if you pay attention to why you got killed.

Always keep your awareness up and keep looking around to find that guy sneaking up on from behind etc etc etc..

Film your flights (alt r) so you can see what you did right and what you have done wrong, or what you could have done differently... Youll find your films in the aces high folder.

Find a plane or 2 you are comfortable flying and stick to it to learn the basics in... I had read a spitfire was easy to learn in and that was what I began to learn the basics in (OK BRING ON THE SPIT BASHING)....

Read to know what kind of plane your flying and ensure it fits your style of flying ie Turnfighting or BNZ (boom and zoom)..

my bet is that if your not used to any flight sims at all you may want to try out something that is good at turnfighting... But im very new and there are alot more people on here with more experience than me but thought being a newb myself I could give you the point of view of a newb...

WELCOME TO THE GAME...... YOU'LL LOVE IT.... ITS A BLAST...

<<<<>>>
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 04:17:42 AM by sgt203 »

Offline Martyn

• Nickel Member
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 04:15:04 AM »
From an old Buffer.

There's a more gentle introduction to AH which is under appreciated. I'm slow and not very good - especially as a fighter pilot. I STILL don't use a stick - I fly by mouse (but there are reasons for this). So for a few years now I fly mainly bombers. The game is (usually) a lot slower, more measured, and frankly more useful for taking strategic objectives - like flattening enemy fighter hangers so that other dudes can more easily take a base.

Of course I sometimes get 'bounced' by enemy fighters flying CAP - but the adrenalin is always useful. I've saved our side several times by taking down enemy CVs while doing a coastal patrol.

My point is - there are missions you can start doing from day one which won't end up with you dying all the time. Even as a newbie you can still make a solid contribution to your team's effort. Meanwhile your learning the lingo, the priorities, tactics, and the different strengths/weaknesses of the planes etc. - so when you do furball, you're not starting completely from scratch.

Example non-furball based missions: -

- Join a sea borne invasion as an LVT2 and drop troops at the map room
- Sneak in low (Bf-110) and de-ack a field prior to an attack
- Hit'n'Run diversion (P38/P47) - take down a radar at some airfield, watch them try and find you as you run away!
- Sneak in low and torpedo a fleet (JU88) - tricky this one
- Tank'vs'Tank (Panzer IV) straight battle - use your ears!

And finally, yes I've found a way to survive at being a fighter pilot in a furball. I'm still not an ace - but hey! I've shot-down people. I'm getting better.
Here we are, living on top of a molten ball of rock, spinning around at a 1,000mph, orbiting a nuclear fireball and whizzing through space at half-a-million miles per hour. Most of us believe in super-beings which for some reason need to be praised for setting this up. This, apparently, is normal.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2006, 04:18:46 AM »
Originally posted by whiteman
man read the first site suggested, thats a lot to take in. i'm gunna go ahead and start this weekend so yall should have some fresh meat in a couple weeks :cry

Dont try to learn it all at once. Start with the basic flying stuff (takeoff, landing, Basic Flight Maneuvers, basic gunnery (shooting the drones offline). Then hop Online and jump in the cold water - and get some help/training in. Always remember to keep it FUN - its a game, not work.... and you learn better having fun. But dont fool yourself either, you *will* be lower end of the food chain for a while.... youre up against people that have don this for years, sometimes decades :).

Set yourself small goals, that are not too high and far off to achieve. Making small steps (you might not even realize) to get better, in a few weeks youll look back and say: Oh my :).
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Newbie, should i or not
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2006, 07:52:59 AM »
Its a big job learning to fly online flight sims. I've been doing it for 10 years & I still suck.

Key is to pace yourself, there is a lot to learn. And a lot of it won't make sense till you've been around a while. Lots of reading, followed by a offline or TA practise session. Repeat daily

Patience! No one masters this in 3 days, or 3 weeks.
Leave your ego at the door, you will die a thousand times.
The idea is to learn something from each.

A good attitude, respect for your fellow pilots, and a cool head will take you far.
But you look like you have that part nailed already.

When you get stuck, screwed up, and can't figure out how to fix it. Email the trainers, thats why they are there. AH has some real gems, so treat them kindly please.  :)

Sometime in your first year your going to want to try a big scenario, just for the sheer glory of it. 100s of planes, working together, flying formation, meeting 100's of enemys, man it can get your blood boiling.