Author Topic: Detention centers  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Detention centers
« on: November 01, 2006, 10:42:37 AM »
According to this:

http://news.pacificnews.org/news/view_article.html?article_id=eed74d9d44c30493706fe03f4c9b3a77&fark

Halliburton has just received a $365 million contract to build detention centers across the US.  As Fark quipped, "trust us, (they) will never ever be used to hold dissenting citizens."

If you're not concerned, y'all still aren't paying attention.  Even if you completely trust the current administration from the deepest parts of your heart and believe that they represent everything that's fantastic about trustworthiness, character, and unadulterated fantasticness, can you imagine how something like this might/will be abused by subsequent administrations?

What is the purpose of this, anyhow?  Also, even if you approve of it, how does this possibly jibe with the idea that the current administration represents smaller government?
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
Detention centers
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 10:45:24 AM »
What would you do with all of the illegal immigrants caught trespassing? Turn 'em loose and give 'em a court date as is done now?

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Detention centers
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 11:24:17 AM »
Why do you think it'd be used for illegal immigrants?  BTW, afaik, the guys who INS nabs these days are deported.  The problem is that they just come right back over the border.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
Detention centers
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 11:32:35 AM »
There should be 60 days mandatory "payback" doing labor for the agency that catches them.  There are no real penalties hence it continues at citizens expense.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Detention centers
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 11:37:09 AM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
Why do you think it'd be used for illegal immigrants?  BTW, afaik, the guys who INS nabs these days are deported.  The problem is that they just come right back over the border.

You don't REALLY believe those illegal aliens picked up by the INS are really deported do you? Hell, we can't even get them to come get the ones in our jails they don't have to FIND. We have illegals in the jails and prisons here, guilty of serious crimes, and they don't get deported. they don't even get deported when they get out. Local law enforcement has had to BEG for the clearance to get rid of them through deportation.

Do you have any idea what $365 million will build for detention centers? Good grief, you can't even build a jail that'll hold 1500 inmates for that.

I hope whatever it is you have that makes you so paranoid is not contagious. I don't have anything personal against you, I don't dislike
you or anything, and I can even have some measure of grudging respect for your atheism, but outside of a very few posts about some neat aircraft, 90% of what you post is incredibly paranoid. Surely you cannot honestly believe "they" are all out to get you. Hell, I actually like you, but you really worry me. I'm not kidding.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Detention centers
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 11:56:38 AM »
I respect your right to disagree with me, and perhaps the idea that I'm paranoid is understandable considering that I'm more likely to post when I see something I'm concerned about than when I see something that's A-OK.  There's an old saying in tech support, "the customer never calls to tell you the product is working fine".

I don't cower under my afghan hiding from robots that I think are cominig to steal my medicine (which they use for fuel), it just _looks_ that way.  :D

I do, however, think it's my job as an involved citizen to apply scrutiny.  Not everything is an emergency, but to assume that nothing bad ever happens is a path equally fraught with danger.  Please don't mistake "Hey, I'd like some eyeballs on this' for "ZOMG PANIC!!!!111!!2!!".  In turn, I'll be extra careful to clearly label my level of concern about stuff so my posts don't seem like the ravings of a lunatic.

Regards,

CB

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Detention centers
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 12:00:11 PM »
Fair enough.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
Detention centers
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 12:04:22 PM »

Uh, the first sentence in the article. You did read it right?

"Editor's Note: A little-known $385 million contract for Halliburton subsidiary KBR to build detention facilities for "an emergency influx of immigrants""

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Detention centers
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 12:04:30 PM »
they are going to need more money than that to hold all you libruls in concentration camps.
:noid

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Detention centers
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 12:10:50 PM »
Is anyone on this board actually liberal?  I thought Nash was the last holdout.

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
Detention centers
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 12:17:17 PM »

Calling for backup? ;)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Detention centers
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 12:32:47 PM »
???

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Detention centers
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 01:17:53 PM »
ummm, Berkely California is not the place to get your honest news from.  Those people make pravda look like the gospels
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Detention centers
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 01:52:32 PM »

anyone on this board that thinks Bush and his boot licking lackeys are idiots are automatically placed in the liberal camp, regardless of real life political affiliation/thought.  I mean no card carrying registered Republican would ever think to speak badly about Herr Bush.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
Detention centers
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 02:10:26 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
anyone on this board that thinks Bush and his boot licking lackeys are idiots are automatically placed in the liberal camp, regardless of real life political affiliation/thought.  I mean no card carrying registered Republican would ever think to speak badly about Herr Bush.

ack-ack

Actually posts like this make it easy to sort folks.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars