Author Topic: Installation  (Read 250 times)

Offline Shark01

• Zinc Member
Installation
« on: November 08, 2006, 08:50:15 AM »
Hello gang, quick question. Is there a file out there that tells you how the installation of aces high is accomplished? What files are installed in the windows directory, .dll, registry etc??

I had to reformat my system and install windows xp again since I did an upgrade on the Flight Sim from Microsoft (FSX) and the system was running super slow. Once everything was done I was able to attain 55-70% more fps and that is the program I spent most of my time with. I do enjoy AcesHigh a lot but don't want to risk installing it again and slowing my system, unless of course there are no files altered.

Can anyone point me to the right direction to find out more before I reinstall it?

Thanks.

REIVAJ

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Installation
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 04:05:15 PM »
The only time AH would slow your system down for other things, was while your running Aces High. AH is set up to use "most" of your CPU cycles when runnning, but when the game is NOT running, it has no effect on your system.

Now an update from Microsoft could screw you up, as thats pretty much ALL MS does these days :t

Ive had AH installed for years with no ill effects.... other than a few late nights playing the game when I should have been sleeping. :lol

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Installation
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 04:58:51 PM »
Look for an Install.Log file in your game install folder.

Im no expert on reading/interpreting those, but i can not imagine AH was the issue of your slowed down Comp.

It usually is a buttload of Utilities, Processes and Windows just clogging itself up (lost files, data fragments, written/rewritten reg files....) Windows just slows down over time. If you check your task manager after a clean fresh install of XP, you have around 19-23 processes. When youre done installing all the drivers, service packs and the basic programs like Office etc... im usually up to 30 already. Add to that a growing number of internet temp files, cookies, etc etc....

Since i started playing AH (and frequent this board) ive started watching system performance/number of processes running and also take care NOT to have any autoupdating stuff going on. Still things sneak in every now and then. I also run CrapCleaner occasionally, to get rid of the "windows mess" that comes up with time.

I recommend you dig yourself through the stickies in TechSupport for "CPU tuning advice". :)
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Shark01

• Zinc Member
Installation
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 08:55:38 AM »
Thank you guys for the information. I do understand about windows updates and what a pain the neck is, I hardly trust MS any more, but for security reasons I do keep my windows xp up to date all the time. My computer were I use AH is what I called my game computer, I have the main one which hold the office, video, photographs, accounts and so on software and the games well it is only a game computer.

I defrag my computer religiously once and sometimes twice a week, also use CCleaner and regcleaner to perform biweekly maintanance, but after reading the replies, I can honestly think that the old copy of FS2004 was problably the one causing the slow down. Will install AH today and will see if theres any difference in performance which I am prediciting it will not.

Thank you again.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Installation
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2006, 08:59:31 AM »
Aces High II is a very simple and clean installation.  Only one registry entry is made and all the files associated with the game are located in the game's installation folder.

You'd be hard pressed to find any other program which is less intrusive.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com