Author Topic: Network Card messing comp up  (Read 895 times)

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Network Card messing comp up
« on: July 28, 2000, 11:22:00 AM »
   A few weeks before finding and installing AH, i installed a Network card into my comp to connect to another. It Worked fine untill i installed AH, then my comp started freezing while playing and it became very annoying.  I removed it and it didnt feeze while playing AH. Any Ideas?

System:
PIII-550
RAM-128@133
VC*-Diamond TnT2 770 Ultra with 32Mb
MODEM- 56k USrobotics

[This message has been edited by Torquila (edited 07-28-2000).]

Sn1p3r

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2000, 11:33:00 AM »
Assuming a PCI network card ... did it happen to be sharing an IRQ with your video card?  I had this problem and moving my network card to a different PCI slot (with some other PCI device between them physically) solved my problem.  (Moving the card to a new slot made it choose a different IRQ)

-snipe

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2000, 12:21:00 PM »
 I had this problem a few months ago. It started out with minor hickups/reboots that got worse till one day it froze and I could not even boot the PC to the bios point. I was almost at the point of buying a new power supply, mother board or cpu. After alot of messing around with the cards and memory the problem disappeared when I removed the network card. I'm not sure what the problem was exactly but I reinstalled the card to ensure that was the problem .And it was. I then reinstalled it but minus the wake-on-lan connecting cable, from the netowrk card to my mother board and the problem went away for good. If you have a wake-on-lan cable try removing it.

-Westy

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2000, 03:20:00 PM »

Originally posted by Westy:
. If you have a wake-on-lan cable try removing it.

-Westy

Westy what does a wake-on-lan cable look like? I dont know much about network cards.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2000, 04:03:00 PM »
 Very thin, maybe four conductors, with small flat connectors on the end that run from a connector on your network card to another on your mother board. It can look like the small cable that runs from your CD/DVD drive to your sound card.
 If you have a small cable running from the netwrok card to your mother board (I'm assuming you have a seperate ISA/PCI network card and not one built into the mother board) then remove it and see if it helps. Worse case? All you will have to do is put it back.

-Westy

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2000, 07:04:00 PM »
When you say freezing, do you mean a hard lockup or a framerate stutter?

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

Offline Torquila

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2000, 07:00:00 AM »
They are Hard lockups Pyro

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2000, 01:57:00 PM »
You can get into the game and play it for awhile before it locks or can you not even get that far?

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

kiljoy

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2000, 11:16:00 AM »
Go check the IRQ settings.  That was my problem.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2000, 12:05:00 PM »
Another thing to try is to disable bus-mastering.

What type of NIC is it btw?

AKDejaVu

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2000, 12:20:00 PM »
A little research with Microsoft's wonderful knowledge base (yea right) turned up the following article:

Network Errors Using 3COM 3C590B In Windows NT

Microsoft recently went through and removed the key words "lockup" from the knowledge base for NT... but it used to be there.  I'd see these errors occasionally (once a month) but would lock several times a week.  It would happen whenever I was doing anything CPU intensive (playing TRIBES or AH).  I was using a 3COM 3C905-BX at the time and applied the same procedure with some slight modifications.  The problem never showed itself again.

It may be worth asking your NIC manufacturer if there is a way to disable Bus-mastering.

AKDejaVu