Author Topic: Well, it didn't take long, did it?  (Read 2869 times)

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
Well, it didn't take long, did it?
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2006, 09:00:41 AM »
We've run a (Budget) deficit since before WWII

Exactly when is this bill going to come due? And to whom? Ourselves?
As that is where the largest portion of our deficit is.

The interest payments come due all the time. They amounted to something over $400 billion last year (about $1,300 dollars for every man woman and child in the US)

As to who they are paid to, the US government has been borrowing very heavily abroad in recent years. According to official figures, the US government borrowed about $500 billion from overseas in 2004 and 2005, taking the total amount of US government debt held abroad to about $2.25 trillion. (about $7,500 for every man woman and child in the US)

I don't think the war in Iraq "created" any more terrorists than where allready there or elsewhere. Many of the insurgants in Iraq have been FOREIGN FIGHTERS....not Iraqis. This fueld by help from Iran and Syria.

It's a remarkable coincidence they all decided to become terrorists at the same time the US decided to invade Iraq. Because they certainly don't seem to have been very active prior to that.

The truth is, like the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, the invasion of Iraq has motivated a huge number of Muslims to become actively involved. The biggest worry is that Iraq will follow the same pattern as Afghanistan, and that once victorious there, they will seek to continue the fight elsewhere.

This fueld by help from Iran and Syria. The truth is we've killed a heck of alot more of them then they have of us. All that does though is get spun to make us the monsters.

All that does is recruit even more of them. There are hundreds of millions of Muslims, and most Muslim countries have a very high birth rate. Thankfully, the percentage of them actively involved in terrorism is tiny, but thanks to Iraq it's growing.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2006, 09:12:08 AM »
Originally posted by Nashwan
The interest payments come due all the time. They amounted to something over $400 billion last year (about $1,300 dollars for every man woman and child in the US)

As to who they are paid to, the US government has been borrowing very heavily abroad in recent years. According to official figures, the US government borrowed about $500 billion from overseas in 2004 and 2005, taking the total amount of US government debt held abroad to about $2.25 trillion. (about $7,500 for every man woman and child in the US)

It's a remarkable coincidence they all decided to become terrorists at the same time the US decided to invade Iraq. Because they certainly don't seem to have been very active prior to that.

The truth is, like the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, the invasion of Iraq has motivated a huge number of Muslims to become actively involved. The biggest worry is that Iraq will follow the same pattern as Afghanistan, and that once victorious there, they will seek to continue the fight elsewhere.

All that does is recruit even more of them. There are hundreds of millions of Muslims, and most Muslim countries have a very high birth rate. Thankfully, the percentage of them actively involved in terrorism is tiny, but thanks to Iraq it's growing.

The National Debt

Prior to 9/11 over 800 americans were killed by islamic extremists.
And countless maimed and injured.
And that doesnt include those kidnapped such as the Iran hostage situation

Hardly what I'd call suddenly or "at the same time"
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2006, 09:14:31 AM »
Originally posted by Nashwan

I believe we owe Japan 700 billion alone. Also, alot of pensions are invested in our debt.

I'll add that the fear is as the debt gets out of control the value of the dollar will decrease. When this happens countries that use the dollar for stability will dump it, not to mention oil producers will stop trading with it. Inflation will then take off
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2006, 09:55:36 AM »
Originally posted by jigsaw
Travolta had it right in Swordfish;

"Anyone who impinges on America's freedom. Terrorist states, Stanley. Someone must bring their war to them. They bomb a church, we bomb 10. They hijack a plane, we take out an airport. They execute American tourist, we tactically nuke an entire city. Our job is to make terrorism so horrific that is becomes unthinkable to attack Americans."

Playing nice with them does not work.

In other words... Gabriel Shear would not have let Osama Bin Laden get away.
sand

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2006, 10:25:37 AM »
Iran released a declaration stating they were happy their party won, several terrorist organizations stated the same in news releases.

Shocking?? No...... Amazing?? Yes....

Democrats are way out there...... Republicans are now the old Democrats... no conservatives, sad situation.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 10:28:09 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2006, 10:28:19 AM »
Originally posted by Sixpence
I'll add that the fear is as the debt gets out of control the value of the dollar will decrease. When this happens countries that use the dollar for stability will dump it, not to mention oil producers will stop trading with it. Inflation will then take off

The Administration pisses and moans that the media is causing the public to believe that the US economy is in the toilet when really it isn't.  While I agree that unemployment is very low and inflation is in check, I think many Americans are waking up to the fact that the federal debt is something that can no longer be ignored.  And while the Administration and Congress continue to spend money like drunken sailors, many will not share in their enthusiasm of the economy.

Offline Irwink!

• Nickel Member
      • http://msn.com
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2006, 10:34:11 AM »
Originally posted by jigsaw
Travolta had it right in Swordfish;

"Anyone who impinges on America's freedom. Terrorist states, Stanley. Someone must bring their war to them. They bomb a church, we bomb 10. They hijack a plane, we take out an airport. They execute American tourist, we tactically nuke an entire city. Our job is to make terrorism so horrific that is becomes unthinkable to attack Americans."

Playing nice with them does not work.

I agree. You cannot fight an unconventional war conventionally. The problem is that the U.S. is too PC to do that. We should have learned that from previous conflicts we were engaged in, the first of which was the American Revolution. If we don't have the stomach for it we might as well find a way to disengage rather than wasting our blood and treasure. We could  defeat Islamic terrorism if we truly wanted. We don't have the will to do what it takes to do so. We're too afraid of offending someone.

As far as the mindless constant conservative vs. liberal babble that goes on here and elsewhere there is a vast part of the American electorate that is neither. I'm one of them.  I tend to be a little more right of center but that's beside the point. I have always and will always refuse to blindly align myself with one party or the other no matter what they do. Far too many people appear to do just that letting themselves be led around by the nose by wordsmith talk show hosts while the politicians stampede them towards a cliff. The moderates spoke on November 7 and tipped the balance. In this state, Virginia, I voted for Webb for senate. For one he's a combat veteran. There are many more reasons. George Allen on the other hand is a political hack that rubber stamped virtually everything Bush wanted. We tossed him.

In my opinion the war in Afghanistan was just and righteous. Iraq? I don't think so. It was and is a costly diversion from the true war on terror. It struck me in the middle of 2002 that George Bush must have thought he'd received some divine message from a burning bush or something and thereupon started the drumbeat for war. The orchestration for that was pretty transparent at the time. Today the  terrorists in Iraq are 98% homegrown. We created them. Iraq is a quagmire as I always believed it would be.

I doubt it but hopefully the Republican and Democratic parties will learn from this election and come back closer to the center where I firmly believe most Americans reside. We'll see.

Just my $.02

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2006, 10:36:40 AM »
the terrorists won the last election - they are still dancing with joy
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2006, 11:55:05 AM »
Originally posted by Mickey1992
The Administration pisses and moans that the media is causing the public to believe that the US economy is in the toilet when really it isn't.  While I agree that unemployment is very low and inflation is in check, I think many Americans are waking up to the fact that the federal debt is something that can no longer be ignored.  And while the Administration and Congress continue to spend money like drunken sailors, many will not share in their enthusiasm of the economy.

And unfortunately, most are waking up never even considering that they know nothing about basic economics.  You included.

Btw Dred, I did that intentionally.  All taxes are theft.  You just went ahead and assumed I meant for the war.  But I did catch you in it.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2006, 01:26:10 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
Many of the insurgants in Iraq have been FOREIGN FIGHTERS....not Iraqis.

People keep on repeating this but I have never seen it backed up with any data.  Time and time again the US government/military and other assessments have shown that foreign fighters make up a small minority of the insurrectionists.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/1003/p03s03-woiq.html

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2006, 05:11:39 PM »
Tell me again what the republican plan for Iraq is?
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2006, 06:01:24 PM »
Originally posted by Silat

simple , kill terrorists

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2006, 06:27:40 PM »
Originally posted by Silat

Stay the course.
sand

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2006, 06:33:44 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184

Btw Dred, I did that intentionally.  All taxes are theft.  You just went ahead and assumed I meant for the war.  But I did catch you in it.

Well then you certainly used a well disguised bait sir LOL

I agree that most if not all taxes are theft.
Thought I prefer to use the term "Legalised extortoin" ;)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 06:36:03 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2006, 07:09:07 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
simple , kill terrorists

wow, that is simple.  What terrorists?  What terrorists were in Iraq before the war?