Author Topic: Tail hook function change in new update  (Read 1615 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Tail hook function change in new update
« on: November 16, 2006, 09:47:50 AM »
In the description of the changes in the new update to be released today, I saw that tail hooks can onlt be lowered when the gear are down. Does this apply only to the F4Us?

I ask because the SBD, SB2C, TBM, F4F-4, FM-2 and F6F-5 tail hooks were completely independent of the landing gear, with separate controls. All could lower the hook with the gear up. In fact, lowering the hook with the gear up was a Navy requirement. It was needed in the event that a plane was unable to lower its landing gear and would make a belly landing on the flight deck. They preferred to catch a wire and keep the plane out of the barrier, and thus reduce the possibility of getting through the barrier and into the planes parked forward. While the F4U's hook was attached to the tail wheel assembly, it did have its own actuator and dashpot. I do not know if the hook could be lowered with the tailwheel up, but I would think the Navy would have insisted that it must.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 09:56:56 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 10:40:21 AM »
I don't think it mattered in the previous version of the game whether the tailhook was down or not; whether or not I lowered it, my aircraft still stopped within a few feet of landing on the carrier deck.  Hopefully, that's changed; I haven't tried the new patch yet.

Offline 1Duke1

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 12:20:10 PM »
WW,

I'm glad you posted this, because it had me wondering "why?" as well.  

It is still common practice today to have the hook down when returning to the boat.  

Thanks
Duke

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 05:04:24 PM »
Originally posted by 1Duke1
WW,

...snip...

boat.

...snip...  

Thanks

BOAT????

BOAT????

Boats are what fishermen use on little bitty lakes.

Boats are how crewman reach the REAL vessel, the SHIP.

It's rare that I get to contribute anything in this forum...I couldnt let it pass...:)
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 05:54:39 PM »
Simaril, I have heard that although sailors know them as ships, Naval Aviators call them boats and occasionally are gently reminded that the pointy end is the front.

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 07:42:25 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril
BOAT????

BOAT????

Friendly reminder that little boats of the undersea kind pwnd more "real vessels" than ships did.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2006, 06:39:28 AM »
BOAT????

BOAT????

[/size]

Naval Aviators have a tendancy of calling the carrier "The Boat" as a good natured barb to their fellow Blue Water Sailors.

If you know any hard core or long time veteran sailors ask them what would happen if you would call the ship a "Boat" in front of an Officer or Petty Officer.  ;)

!  :aok
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2006, 06:46:35 AM »
Must be aircraft specific.  Last night I landed a Zeke on a CV. I lowered the hook prior to lowering the landing gear.  No problems.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2006, 03:00:29 PM »
I tried to land a Zeke last night with a damaged left gear from a combat collision.  Since I was HOPING to land gear up and hook down only, I was frustrated I HAD to land with the right gear down only.

What would of been a belly-down landing with the hook grabbing - I ended up landing on the right wheel, then onto the left wing, cartwheeled right off the carrier on the left. Weeeeee

Can we please allow hooks down without gear?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 12:30:11 PM »
BOAT????

BOAT????

[/size]

Boats...they're those things that float out in the water.  Sometimes they put a flat roof on them so they can also serve a purpose.  It's also the place I kept my stereo for when I wasn't flying.:aok
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 12:39:40 PM »
Originally posted by Mister Fork
I tried to land a Zeke last night with a damaged left gear from a combat collision.  Since I was HOPING to land gear up and hook down only, I was frustrated I HAD to land with the right gear down only.

What would of been a belly-down landing with the hook grabbing - I ended up landing on the right wheel, then onto the left wing, cartwheeled right off the carrier on the left. Weeeeee

Can we please allow hooks down without gear?

Why didn't you just leave the gear up?  A Zero can fly slow and with gear up just fine on a CV.
:confused:
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 01:25:36 PM »
Originally posted by Kermit de frog
Why didn't you just leave the gear up?  A Zero can fly slow and with gear up just fine on a CV.
:confused:

That's not the point.  If it could do it...why change it?  If I had to land a zero on a carrier in WWII with the gear up I would want the hook if i could get it.

To my (limited) knowledge the F4U should be the only airplane the hook/gear thing applies to though I'm sure WW's theory is right...you should be able to get the hook down (even with a tailwheel freefall of some sort) independent of the main gear.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2006, 12:12:16 AM »
Agreed Golfer.  I was after realism: I don't land on airfields wheels up so I can re-up quickly. I cycle the airfield at the proper entry point, cross over 1 km back into the final landing pattern, flaps down 5-15 degrees, wheels down, and trim in my landing.  I'm a realismtard. :D
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2006, 12:17:12 AM »
HTC needs a gear warning horn.  under 160mph throttle at idle you get a horn if the gear isn't down.  That would discourage that :)

I think maybe I subconsiously worry that one day I'll really leave the wheels up and bring my airplane to a screeching scratching halt.  Wonder if I just hop out and smile the passengers will even know the difference?:O

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2006, 05:01:13 AM »
Originally posted by Golfer
That's not the point.  If it could do it...why change it?  If I had to land a zero on a carrier in WWII with the gear up I would want the hook if i could get it.

To my (limited) knowledge the F4U should be the only airplane the hook/gear thing applies to though I'm sure WW's theory is right...you should be able to get the hook down (even with a tailwheel freefall of some sort) independent of the main gear.

I thought his point was that he HAD to land with gear down?  I merely suggested that this was UNTRUE.

I have no knowledge of the gear/hook systems in WWII so I am unable to comment on that subject as of now, but maybe it was done for gameplay reasons and not for historical accuracy.
Time's fun when you're having flies.