Author Topic: FM Question/New F4U's climb slower??  (Read 3433 times)

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
FM Question/New F4U's climb slower??
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2006, 07:24:24 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
I read somewhere that the La-7 had a CDo of .0223, and taken with it's wing area of about 190 sq/ft, that equates to a flat plate area of 4.24 sq/ft. Compare that  to the P-51D with a flat plate area of 4.10 sq/ft. Now add in the far greater weight of the P-51D and it should be no contest. Yet, as modeled, the La-7 bleeds speed SLOWER than the P-51D... Has to be a modeling issue.

I know it is tempting to use aerodynamic data, but you can't reach conclusions about deceleration by comparing Cdo values alone. The reason is that deceleration comes from two terms, the prop drag divided by the mass of the aircraft and the total aerodynamic drag divided by the mass of the aircraft. The aerodynamic drag is made up of two components, induced drag and profile drag. At high speed, where you would normally be able to assume that the induced drag was negligible, and you might therefore be able to compare the zero lift drag coefficients, you still can't, because unless the prop can be fully feathered the prop drag will have a very significant impact on deceleration. At lower speeds, this is compounded as the induced drag increases, so regardless of where you are in the envelope, a comparison of Cdo isn't a reliable indication of deceleration.

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2006, 09:26:47 PM »
Originally posted by Badboy
I know it is tempting to use aerodynamic data, but you can't reach conclusions about deceleration by comparing Cdo values alone. The reason is that deceleration comes from two terms, the prop drag divided by the mass of the aircraft and the total aerodynamic drag divided by the mass of the aircraft. The aerodynamic drag is made up of two components, induced drag and profile drag. At high speed, where you would normally be able to assume that the induced drag was negligible, and you might therefore be able to compare the zero lift drag coefficients, you still can't, because unless the prop can be fully feathered the prop drag will have a very significant impact on deceleration. At lower speeds, this is compounded as the induced drag increases, so regardless of where you are in the envelope, a comparison of Cdo isn't a reliable indication of deceleration.

Badboy

I understand. I also understand the relationship of drag and mass to deceleration. Added weight should increase induced drag at lower speeds. If for no other reason than needing a higher AoA to maintain level flight. If that is factored into the modeling, it's completely masked (in terms of test data) by the increase in mass. You can observe the effect of added weight visually while testing. At low fuel, with Combat Trim on in Auto-Level, cut power and watch as the aircraft is trimmed ever nose high to maintain level flight. Add weight and this occurs at a higher speed and the angle of attack is eventually greater. This would certainly increase induced drag, to my thinking at least.

By increasing the fuel weight of the P-47D-40 by 1,372 lbs, it decreased the speed bleed time by almost 9%. So, a 9.5% increase in mass resulted in a 9% decrease in deceleration.

I tested the La-7 with full tanks, or 122 gallons. This added an additional 549 lbs to the plane's mass. This was roughly a 7.5% increase in mass over the 25% fuel weight of the plane. When tested, this yielded a 7.2% decrease in deceleration.

This tells me that same rules apply to both aircraft. The problem as I see it is that the La-7's baseline mass is either too high or the total drag is too low (or some combination thereof). Can we assume that the La-7's total drag is greater than that of the P-51D? I think it's probably a safe bet. Even if these were identical, there's no getting around the difference in mass. There is no doubt that the P-51D has a far greater mass (about 30% more). You don't need a full-blown analysis to see that something is unusual here. It's the old dead skunk analogy; you really don't need to see a dead skunk to know it's there. ;)

I'm sure Hitech and Pyro will be looking at the equations to see why this exists. I'm also curious to know why the Spitfire decelerates like it's tied to a figurative tree. Must have the draggiest propeller in the history of aviation. :)

Seriously tho, sometimes simple testing can reveal things never thought to be unusual. In hindsight, I always thought that the La-7 retained E far better than I would have imagined prior to flying it online. I never expected it to be anything more than my own perception.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 09:41:42 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2006, 01:05:56 AM »
Can we assume that the La-7's total drag is greater than that of the P-51D? I think it's probably a safe bet.

I don't think we can. The La-7 has only 180 hp more than the P-51D to make those 380 mph at sea level, so I think they are very close in parasitic drag. The La-7 is a small plane after all. When the prop is factored in I think that huge four-bladed prop on the P-51 is a much more effective air-brake the the La's three-bladed high-speed prop.

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2006, 05:05:50 AM »
They should also look at the hurricanes flight model to.  It does amazing things for a wooden plane at incredible speeds,lol.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2006, 06:21:33 AM »
Something is fishy :

http://www.netaces.org/ahplanes/comparisons/spdretover.htm
http://www.netaces.org/ahplanes/comparisons/deceloverview.htm

I know it's not exactly the test you have made WideWing but HAMMER result are too different IMO.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2006, 07:28:03 AM »
Could just be the different propellers like Hitech says, but it does smell a little ... marine life, yes.

Offline hammer

• Gold Member
      • netAces
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2006, 08:08:56 AM »
Those results are from many revisions ago. AH1 even.
Hammer

JG11
(Temporarily Retired)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2006, 08:31:01 AM »
Originally posted by hammer
Those results are from many revisions ago. AH1 even.

Certainly but I expect the difference between the planes to be similar.

As far as I can remember there was no drastic change on the F4U-1D and the Yak9U for example.

This evening I'll try to redo your test with the actual version and check if there is  a lot of differences

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2006, 10:16:36 AM »
Widewing: Retest the p51d once using 2500 rpm instead of 2700

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2006, 10:30:57 AM »
This thread has long ago been jacked.

However if you go to Hammer's website you can see that the climb of the F4U-1D was faster in AH1 than it is icurrently even when flown from a standing start on the runway.

BTW, it matched the climb of the NAVAIR chart almost exactly prior to the latest revision. It is almost 1 minute behind the NAVAIR chart in it's current format regardless of who does the testing.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2006, 11:42:15 AM »
F4UDOA, this thread has not been hijacked. They are discussing possible reasons for a possible bug that would lead to a slower rate of climb. It's related.

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2006, 01:08:14 PM »
Hi Widewing,

I've just taken another look at your test data, and I think the evidence points to a different explanation. Your initial reaction to the test data is:

The problem as I see it is that the La-7's baseline mass is either too high or the total drag is too low (or some combination thereof). Can we assume that the La-7's total drag is greater than that of the P-51D? I think it's probably a safe bet. Even if these were identical, there's no getting around the difference in mass. There is no doubt that the P-51D has a far greater mass (about 30% more).  

But your following results indicate that there might be a better explanation:

By increasing the fuel weight of the P-47D-40 by 1,372 lbs, it decreased the speed bleed time by almost 9%. So, a 9.5% increase in mass resulted in a 9% decrease in deceleration.

I tested the La-7 with full tanks, or 122 gallons. This added an additional 549 lbs to the plane's mass. This was roughly a 7.5% increase in mass over the 25% fuel weight of the plane. When tested, this yielded a 7.2% decrease in deceleration.

This tells me that same rules apply to both aircraft.

This is fairly strong evidence that the mass and drag are behaving as you would expect. So the only other thing that could produce the results you are seeing is prop drag. That the prop drag is a significant component can be seen by looking at your P-38 results and the difference when fully feathered.

P-38L: 33.41 seconds (85.47 seconds if props feathered)

This would suggest that the difference in deceleration in your results could be due to the prop modelling, and not necessarily an error. Different propellers feathering to different pitch settings could explain the results you are seeing, and in view of the fact your earlier tests seem to show that the mass and drag are behaving as expected, I think this is the more likely explanation.

If that is the case, it would mean that there wasn't anything wrong with the flight model at all, and it might just be that some props are feathering more than others at low power, or power off.

Regards...

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2006, 06:11:16 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Widewing: Retest the p51d once using 2500 rpm instead of 2700

Normal RPM is 2,900 for the P-51D. However, I tested at 2,700 RPM and 2,500 RPM. Results are as follows, same test parameters as before.

2,700 RPM: 41.47 seconds
2,500 RPM: 45.22 seconds

I also tested the La-7 (normally 2,500 RPM in MIL power, 2,600 RPM in WEP)

La-7 @ 2,300 RPM: 42.34 seconds

In addition, I tested the La-5FN for reference sake (at normal 2,500 RPM)

La-5FN: 36.75 seconds

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2006, 06:25:02 PM »
Originally posted by Badboy

This would suggest that the difference in deceleration in your results could be due to the prop modelling, and not necessarily an error. Different propellers feathering to different pitch settings could explain the results you are seeing, and in view of the fact your earlier tests seem to show that the mass and drag are behaving as expected, I think this is the more likely explanation.

If that is the case, it would mean that there wasn't anything wrong with the flight model at all, and it might just be that some props are feathering more than others at low power, or power off.

Heya Badboy,

One problem with this explanation is that the props don't feather. Upon shutting down the engine, there is no drop in RPM, all the way down to 150 mph and lower. Any feathering would be reflected in reduced RPM. In all of the single-engine fighters I tested, props remain in full low pitch when the engine is shut off. Only the P-38 feathers. All others tested windmill at full RPM.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2006, 07:28:49 PM »
One problem with this explanation is that the props don't feather. All others tested windmill at full RPM.

Ahh, ok, but your other tests do make it look as though the weight and drag are ok. So it still looks to me as though the different props may be producing significantly different drag regardless that they don't feather. Considering the variety of different prop/reductiongear/engine combinations that doesn't surprise me. Also when I look at the difference in the P-38 feathered test, I can see how those differences might produce the test results you posted.

I have a feeling that if you could feather all the props you might get test results more in line with those suggested by the weight and drag characteristics of the aircraft.

Regards...

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)