Author Topic: ACK is UBER d DOOPER  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
ACK is UBER d DOOPER
« on: November 21, 2006, 01:50:45 PM »
Way to go HTC on the new Ack.

I tested it out and flew a La-7 to pork a field, i was only able to make 4 passes on the field before the UBER ACK got me.It also does wonders on B-24's.Now if we can get some new maps the new set up will be ROCKIN!!!!

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
ACK is UBER d DOOPER
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 02:00:41 PM »
great pic.:aok
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
ACK is UBER d DOOPER
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 02:15:56 PM »
i agree bat.  weve had to put up with these same maps too long.  i cant understand why ht wont put trinity/fester back in the rotation.  its not like they not been asked.

on the other hand , i not like the changes at first but have learned to live with them and enjoy flying again.  just hope i dont have to learn to live with mindano every day.

p.s.  my apoligies to ht (dale) for wb comment.  no excuse.

S!
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline viper215

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bops.us
ACK is UBER d DOOPER
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 03:52:53 PM »
:lol
- Viper215 - Birds of Prey - Falcon Wing -
               - www.bops.us -

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
Suggestion
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 03:59:06 PM »
Let´s have Karelia-map in MA:D

There are HUGE AMOUNT of activities to work with:D

P.S. On my mind...the ack presented recently is out of H***

The accuracy and density of ack has nothing to do with realism. If it would have been in real life a bit like that....not even a single bomber would have reached it´s target at once in last war....
Oh yes, it is spectacular...but still....pls, consider it´s purpose again.

Just for testing...I flew all alone 3 times, one after another, the same route over hostile airfield:

-Me 109 G2
-Altitude 5000 ft
-Speed 380 mph
-Same approach direction

The result:

Every time at 1st pass I lost oils and aileron.
Every time at 2nd pass from opposite direction(at same level) I lost the whole engine or got major fuel leak.

Pretty good hits...

Well...If it has been IRL like that....I really wonder how there has been any kind of field strafings at all...

:confused: :furious :mad:
« Last Edit: November 21, 2006, 04:02:48 PM by Zuum »
-Yuri Gagarin was a fool. He travelled three times around the world  and returned to CCCP-

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Re: Suggestion
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 04:21:59 PM »
Originally posted by Zuum
The accuracy and density of ack has nothing to do with realism. If it would have been in real life a bit like that....not even a single bomber would have reached it´s target at once in last war....
Oh yes, it is spectacular...but still....pls, consider it´s purpose again.

Just for testing...I flew all alone 3 times, one after another, the same route over hostile airfield:

-Me 109 G2
-Altitude 5000 ft
-Speed 380 mph
-Same approach direction

The result:

Every time at 1st pass I lost oils and aileron.
Every time at 2nd pass from opposite direction(at same level) I lost the whole engine or got major fuel leak.

Pretty good hits...

Well...If it has been IRL like that....I really wonder how there has been any kind of field strafings at all...

:confused: :furious :mad:

Well most bombers flew at 10,000k or higher,  

Oh just go read this, it will help

http://www.wired.com/news/columns/0,72119-0.html

Offline Sweet2th

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
ACK is UBER d DOOPER
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 04:41:07 PM »
....I really wonder how there has been any kind of field strafings at all...

That's why they dove in at a high rate of speed.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
ACK is UBER d DOOPER
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 04:56:38 PM »
Read some anecdotal accounts from WWII aviators. No sane person flew straight and level at low altitude over a target with significant AA. They dove in with altitude and took evasive action on their way into and away from the target.

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
ACK is UBER d DOOPER
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2006, 05:02:22 PM »
It actually drives me to be more suicidal the last couple times Ive gone in at 5k or so. Ive become a go,drop, die strafing ack, re-up guy when bombing it seems.

~AoM~

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
ACK is UBER d DOOPER
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2006, 05:19:25 PM »
Zuum

That is totally incorrect when attacking highly defended targets on the Western front. There was a reason USAAF pilots were awarded credit for ground kills -- you had to offer every motivation possible to press on those attacks. Such missions were highly feared as this account clarifies.

Excerpt from The Big Show by Pierre Clostermann.

We were at 14,000 feet and kept straight on over to the left, as if we had no intention of attacking. I took a close look at the field: the small crosses parked just where we expected them showed up on the bright green grass of early spring. I particularly noticed one, two, four, seven flak towers. Their shadows clearly projected on the perimeter track by the sun

'Look out Filmstar Leader, flak at 6 o'clock!'

Sure enough, 200 yards behind us five big black puffs from 88 mm. shells had appeared. OK, five more seconds and then I would attack. The objective was behind us and we were facing the sun. Fear caught me by the throat and stopped me breathing. Aerial combat always found me calm -
after the early stages - but flak was quite different.

'Drop your tanks, Filmstar'.

My stomach contracted and a wave of nausea swept over me - the advantage of a single-seater is that you can pass out with fear without anybody noticing.

'Quick. 180 port, go.'

This would bring us back facing the airfield, with the sun at our backs.

'Diving--full out, Filmstar!'

My nine Tempests were beautifully echeloned on my left although we were diving almost
vertically.

'Smell of flowers,' came Bay Adams voice mockingly in the earphones. Flak! Christ, what flak! The entire surface of the airfield seemed to light up with the flashes from 20mm and 37mm guns. There must have been at least 40 of them. A carpet of white puffs spread out below us and the black puffs of the 37's stood out in regular string of eight.

What flak! Physical fear is the most terrible thing a man can suffer - my heart leaped into my mouth, I was covered with sweat, with sticky, clammy sweat. My clenched toes swam in my boots.

We dived desperately into the moke…explosions and tracer to left and right crossing over and under us….bangs around our wings and sinister dazzling flashes.

We were a mile from the perimeter, 150 feet from the ground. Men were running hither and thither.

'Lower for Christ's sake,' I yelled hysterically. The broad expanse of grass, carved by the gray runways, tilted up before my eyes and rushed towards me. We were doing over 450 mph. First a hangar … a bowser … then the Messerschmitts, perched clumsily on their narrow gear, about thirty of them, with men crouching under their wings. Too far to the left, unfortunately, outside my line of fire.

A group of a dozen Arados loomed up in my sight. I fired, I fired frantically, my thumb jammed on the button. My shells formed a ribbon of explosion worming its way between the Arados, climbing up the fuselage, hitting theengines … smoke …one of the planes exploded just as I was over it, and my Tempest was tossed up by the burning gust. A Tempest touched the ground and the fuselage
bounded up in a shower of fragments of smashed wings and tailplanes. More hangars in front of me. I fired a second burst-it exploded on the galvanized iron doors and the steel tanchions.

'Look out , Red 2' My No. 2 was coming straight for me, out of control, at a terrific speed. His hood had gone. At 470 mph 20 yards to my right, he went smack into a flak tower, cutting it in two beneath the platform.

The wooden frame flew into the air. A cluster of men hanging on to a gun collapsed into space. The Tempest crashed on the edge of the field, furrowing through a group of little houses, with a terrific flash of light; the engine had come adrift in a whirlwind of flames and fragments scattered in the sky.

It was all over … almost. One, two, three … the tracer bullets were pursuing me. I lowered my head and hunched myself behind my rear plating … twelve, thirteen, fourteen … I was going to cheat …a salvo of 37 burst so close that I got only the flash of the explosions without seeing the smoke…splinters rained down on my uselage…nineteen, twenty! I pulled the stick back and climbed straight up into the sky. The flak kept on.

I glanced back towards Schwerin, just visible under my tailplane. A thousand feet below a Tempest was climbing in zig-zags, the tracer stubbornly pursuing him. Fires near the hangars, columns of greasy smoke, a fireworks display of exploding magnesium bombs. The lone Tempest caught me up, waggled his wings and formed up line abreast.

'Hallo, Filmstar aircraft, reform south of target, angels 10.'

'Hallo, Pierre, Red 3 here, You know, I think the rest have had it.'

Surely Bay couldn't be right! I scanned the 360 degrees of the horizon, and the terrific pyramid of flak bursts above Schwerin right up to the clouds, hanging in the still air. No one.

1304 hours. We had attacked at 1303 hours. The nightmare had lasted perhaps 35 seconds from the beginning of our dive, and we had lost eight aircraft out of ten….

The ack was even fiercer with the 1944-45 USN carrier groups (far more than we have in AH, actually). Just watch some of those films where the sky is dense with tracers 20mm - 40mm with the proximity fuzed puffs from the 5" 50s.

Charon

Offline ColKLink

• Nickel Member
ACK is UBER d DOOPER
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2006, 05:46:54 PM »
why I never dive on a base unless im over 10 thousand feets, ya need the speed, and dont hold same vector for more than a second or 2,  dont try to be greedy on these new ack guns, they'll getcha.:(  (But I do like it, it was far too easy to kill ack, and vulch, imho.) then again I was a jarhead :D
Live each day like it's your last, and one day, you will be right.---- rush 2112,--->" and the sheep shall inherit the earth"......

Offline Ball

• Silver Member
ACK is UBER d DOOPER
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 06:08:31 PM »
only 4 passes? wow.. how will you ever get any kills now if you cannot vulch the runway?:furious :mad: :furious

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Re: Suggestion
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2006, 06:12:58 PM »
P.S. On my mind...the ack presented recently is out of H***
...not even a single bomber would have reached it´s target at once in last war....

Its called altitude, and its free for just a small investment of your time. :aok

56th Fighter Group sortied 39 Jugs to hit an airfield in Holland on 18 September, 1944.  16 aircraft were lost, 12 were damaged.  That's flak, and its a real consideration now, just as it was then.  Anyone foolish enough to come in low and alone will pay the price. :D

Offline Zuum

• Gold Member
ACK is UBER d DOOPER
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2006, 06:22:26 PM »
That sounds like real bad preparation....

Finns achieved the best ratio all times  in fighter-to fighter comparison.

21 to 1

The secret receipe for that was pretty simple;  humble attitude and good knowledge of opponent.

:D :aok
-Yuri Gagarin was a fool. He travelled three times around the world  and returned to CCCP-

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
ACK is UBER d DOOPER
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2006, 06:33:27 PM »
That sounds like real bad preparation....

Finns achieved the best ratio all times  in fighter-to fighter comparison.

21 to 1

The secret receipe for that was pretty simple;  humble attitude and good knowledge of opponent.

:D :aok

I'm sorry, I guess I didn't clarify that the mission was a strafing mission.  Those aircraft weren't lost from German fighters, they were lost from German flak over the target.