Author Topic: Testing Capture system in LW orange today  (Read 35496 times)

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
Testing Capture system in LW orange today
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2006, 02:24:25 PM »
S! krusty

i disagree with you on that krusty.  sounds like great fun to put together a sneak attack like that even if it fails.  that aspect of gameplay, IMHO, is a blast even if it is my country that is being attacked.  you look at map an all of a sudden a huge dar pops up, the calls go out to defend.......what a blast!

even if they did go away it's still a rush.  instant action   :)

my 2 cents

S!
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2006, 02:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Airscrew
yes upset.   tell me how does
"capturing bases in certain order only"  equal "the furballers finally got their way"

never said that furballers getting their way upset me.
 however until i see what happens over time, i,m going to assume that there will be larger maps with 3 big furballs going on. how else will you take a base?  gvs? well maybe. why bother making bigger maps if the bulk of the players will banging heads in a very small area?

and as far as being upset?    go start a fight somewhere else, this base is heavily defended.:cool:

your buddy,
                                                                    Boner

public relations officer for Boner
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2006, 02:33:52 PM »
It is capturable condition correct @V110? Neither of the other sides have one that deep.

Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2006, 02:33:52 PM »
only complaint so far is the dang Icon's are HUGE!

Somewhat annoying.

Can we use a diff. visual que?  Possibly code it so the field is a diff. color?

Zoom the map out, and the capturable field takes up 1/2 the sector it's in. (edit:more like the whole sector)
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2006, 02:34:44 PM »
Don't know enough about the new system to comment on it, but I do notice its significance, in that it is a very rare incident for HT to stand up and actually do something to the strat system. As a matter of fact, it's a change in the strat since ages, when AH eliminated the depot structures and replaced it with a town system way back god knows when.

I think it might mean that HT is rethinking the previous "invisible hand" theory of MA gameplay.

'Just let anyone up, fly, and fight in whatever they want, wherever they want, however they want' - used to be the MA motto. Unfortunately, it has been proven time again, that such unlimited freedom ultimately includes "the freedom of the players to wreck destroy their own gameplay". Finally, the problem seems to have been realized, and HT took steps to attempt a change in all that by actually limiting players and their actions to mold and shift the MA tendency into something different.

I hope it is a precursor to better things to come. I am not so sure if such a change will mean anything more than a temporary relief to the MA, but it should mean that the basic strat is now also a part of something susceptible to change in the days to come.

ps) Ofcourse, we all know how much HT hates it when someone says they know what he thinks, so if he may be offended by it, many apologies to HT in advance.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2006, 02:40:33 PM »
It's certainly got potential, and it will be interesting to see if/how tactics change, or if people simply do log off and look for better odds. I like that fights seem to continue for a while, as the more popular "let's go where they aren't" tactic don't really work at the moment. Hopefully base defense will increase as people realize it's not completely fruitless now. Time will tell.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2006, 02:46:40 PM »
Originally posted by 1Boner
and as far as being upset?    go start a fight somewhere else, this base is heavily defended.:cool:
         your buddy, Boner

Are you a female? just wondering, this sounds like something my wife would say. :cool:

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2006, 02:48:14 PM »
Went in there to see.   The Knights and Bish are already whining about it on 200.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2006, 02:52:23 PM »
what are they saying mash?
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline richard_rd

• Copper Member
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2006, 02:55:20 PM »
I just logged into LW orange to look at the new system and i don't like it as is because:

1.  It looks like each side only has one base on each front to capture. This means as a knight we only have 1 rook base or one bish base that is capturable.

2. This should definetely filter all the activity to those two bases (1 rook & 1 bish), but IMHO it will make capturing the base too long and drawn out.   I could see several hours or days go by without the map changing much. First 6 hours rooks capture 3 knight bases and push into knight territory, next 7 hours knights  win those same 3 bases back and we are back to where we started 15 hours later.

3. I think this could work but not taken to this much of an extreem.  Instead of giving us only one capturable base on each frot, maybe 3 or 4 options per front.
This will still funnel the action to certain spots on the map but there will be some options to the strategic part of the game as to which of the 3 or 4 bases you want to put more effort into capturing. And the map fronts have more of a chance of changing over time.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 02:58:55 PM by richard_rd »

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2006, 02:55:33 PM »
Originally posted by Airscrew
Are you a female? just wondering, this sounds like something my wife would say. :cool:

do you have anything to say about this thread?  i mean everything else you're saying is fasinating and all. but i thought this was about the new test arena?:confused:
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2006, 03:03:01 PM »
1rst chance to see the map setup and i believe richard has a good point.  with only a small number of bases that can be captured, it seems pointless to have a big map (from a base capture point of view).

map ideal would be even better if more fields are available for capture.  (this map was a great map for noe's).

my 2 cents

S!
S! 68KO
S! A8WB

Offline BugsBunny

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2006, 03:06:35 PM »
bigger maps == good idea
capturing bases in certain order only===the furballers finally got their way

guess i,ll reserve judgment until i see this in action.

optimisticly,
                                                                       Boner

public relations officer for Boner

Not true.  HT has anabled base capturing on off line mode.  Now you can capture all you want without anyone fighting back.  BUT WAIT!!!! there is more!!!!  HT anabled capturing of friendly bases.  Now you dont have to deack or destroy any buildings before a capture.
Woowoooo see you all off line

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2006, 03:20:44 PM »
do you have anything to say about this thread?  i mean everything else you're saying is fasinating and all. but i thought this was about the new test arena?:confused:

And it is, I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. (thats usually what I say to my wife anyway, it seems to make her feel better)

I just think its funny that the first thing you say is "the furballers finally got their way"

Have you considered this,  You want to capture a base, I want to shoot down planes, kill tanks, whatever.   You attempting to capture a base with this test setup should have a defensive response by the enemy to stop the capture.   I on the other hand will be looking for enemys to shoot down and I would probably head in any direction there is a dar bar or a flashing base and I could also be at the base you are trying to capture.  We and others will be at the same general location and while you are blowing up buildings and running troops I am killing those that are trying to prevent the capture.   The reverse would also apply defending.  

I on the other hand will be slightly fustrated cause I have bowling tonight and wont have a chance to play until tomorrow evening

Bugs are funny :lol

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2006, 03:41:36 PM »
Interesting idea.....  Don't know about "furballers finally got their way".  

Sure, the fight will grow stronger but so will the HANGER BANGING

It may mean more than 1 field being hanger banged.  It may mean bombers may need some Altitude.  It may mean some fighters getting alt also.  IT will mean ya furballers getting pissed when hangers get bombed BUT then again you'd think they'd expect that at a capturable field......right? ;)