Author Topic: Testing Capture system in LW orange today  (Read 35480 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Testing Capture system in LW orange today
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2006, 12:56:02 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
LOL, interesting reserving of judgement, with the comment made just prior to saying it :)

Gotta get off the Furball v Toolshed stereotypes.  

If HTC is promoting players playing against players, how can that be bad.  No one is taking away base capture.  If anything it's going to put the ACM guys in the mix of helping to take bases.  Integrating the different styles of play is what it should be about.

players playing against players = End to milk running and bomber/attack score padding.

That's why some don't like it.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline DadRabit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2006, 12:58:03 PM »
S!

i'll vote ht for santa claus as long as we get different/bigger maps  :D

S!
David (Daddy Rabbit) Jester
S! 68KO
S! A8WB
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same. Ronald Reagan

Offline JimBeam

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2006, 01:01:06 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
Or, like last night in the MWA, the rooks had 60% of the entire map, but that wasn't enough, so they ran 3 sectors in and took the one V-base that had a spawn point to knit HQ, and then killed the HQ with GVs. Didn't bother to take the fields between their front line and the v-base.

I think taking rear bases  is unrealistic to the extreme. Milk runners and griefers do this more than folks using legitimate tactics.

I'm definitely going to try logging in today to try this out.

Hitech: Can you let this run for a week, at least, so we can get an overall idea on how it works?

what in your mind are legitmate tactics?
JimBeam 367th "Dynamite Gang"

"In my experience JimBeam never goes down easy" -wil3ur

Pilots...looking down on people since 1903

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2006, 01:09:38 PM »
milk runners simply take an undefended field because they can't deal with taking one that's defended. The second even one defender shows up they scatter, run, and go to the next farthest-withdrawn field they can get to and try again there.

If, however, there is a very large horde-on-horde clash going on in one sector over one field, and a group of folks set up a mission to take a field 2 sectors down, but still on the front line, they will draw a large number of that horde off.

Basically griefers and milk runners don't help anybody but themselves. Like the folks that launch missions to go 5 sectors behind enemy lines to take the 163 base in sneak attacks, and the like (and yes, I remember at least one time when folks tried to do this mission, but I think they failed).

I'm willing to give the new base capture a shot, if it reduces that aspect of AH gameplay.

Offline JimBeam

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2006, 01:12:45 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty
milk runners simply take an undefended field because they can't deal with taking one that's defended. The second even one defender shows up they scatter, run, and go to the next farthest-withdrawn field they can get to and try again there.

If, however, there is a very large horde-on-horde clash going on in one sector over one field, and a group of folks set up a mission to take a field 2 sectors down, but still on the front line, they will draw a large number of that horde off.

Basically griefers and milk runners don't help anybody but themselves. Like the folks that launch missions to go 5 sectors behind enemy lines to take the 163 base in sneak attacks, and the like (and yes, I remember at least one time when folks tried to do this mission, but I think they failed).

I'm willing to give the new base capture a shot, if it reduces that aspect of AH gameplay.
so your saying that if a group of guys does an NOE raid to a base behind enemy lines and capture it that is illlegitmate?

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2006, 01:15:55 PM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
That was pretty much my first thought Flayed :).

I like the idea of perked troops that can take rear bases (perhaps with the new perk-ord system?).

Other then that, ill hold my opinion untill i see the system in action.

Or... an increased number of troops required to capture.  Rear base = 3x drunks.  I guess I'll have to check out a late war arena for the first time... La7s, SpitXVIs...
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2006, 01:19:58 PM »
I understand defining a milkrunner is a matter of semantics but...I didn't see too much actual capture of rear bases, yeah it happened some, but not what I'd call rampant.

What I did see a lot of was score-padding milkruns of strats or bases where there was no crowd around. THAT to me fits the description of a milkrunner...someone who wants to bomb buildings away from the crowd, without fear of being intercepted.

FWIW, I don't see this change affecting the ability of a true milkrunner to pad their bomber/attack/GV scores, in fact if it forces the strat-guys and the ACM-gius into the same areas for once...the milkrunners might just have it easier.

Offline JimBeam

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2006, 01:25:02 PM »
i agree with you edbert sneaking a bases via an noe raid where no one is at isnt milkrunning

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2006, 01:26:01 PM »
I was thinking it was more punishment for acm ppl than milk runners ...
next step should be to tone down bomber lasers to more realistic accuracy/damage
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2006, 01:38:30 PM »
Originally posted by Edbert
I understand defining a milkrunner is a matter of semantics but...I didn't see too much actual capture of rear bases, yeah it happened some, but not what I'd call rampant.

What I did see a lot of was score-padding milkruns of strats or bases where there was no crowd around. THAT to me fits the description of a milkrunner...someone who wants to bomb buildings away from the crowd, without fear of being intercepted.

FWIW, I don't see this change affecting the ability of a true milkrunner to pad their bomber/attack/GV scores, in fact if it forces the strat-guys and the ACM-gius into the same areas for once...the milkrunners might just have it easier.

Me and the other lads from JG44 did an NOE raid DEEP into NME territory once..... It was great fun, I dont even think we captured the field but it was a good blast and I enjoyed flying NOE for three or four sectors with the squad...

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2006, 01:44:29 PM »
Originally posted by Airscrew
Boner may be upset cause with this capture system you probably cant find an undefended base to sneak

upset?   :huh
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2006, 01:51:08 PM »
Originally posted by 1Boner

"the furballers finally got their way" <-- I think thats what they are refering to...

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2006, 01:52:43 PM »
Originally posted by 1Boner

yes upset.   tell me how does
"capturing bases in certain order only"  equal "the furballers finally got their way"

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2006, 02:20:10 PM »
I like the idea.

Actually turns the battle over the map as one being fought over front lines, with less worry about a sneak in the rear areas, which, realistically (and often in game), would just create an untennable position anyway.

And if it gets us into larger and (more importantly) different maps.... hooray!!!!

Can't see where this is a furballer victory.... if you are into buff driving and land grabbing.... it may put a little more emphasis on teamwork to manage a capture is all.  No, or few, uncontested captures maybe.  This game would benefit from a serious dose of teamwork anyway from my experiences the past couple months.

New version, now new capture system, talk about a perkd ord system (with no details, shudder, now here is an issue that could potentially become a furballer victory against buff drivers depending on details)..... things just may be looking up here abouts.

Now if populations would just grow in Early and Mid to make for a good fight.... or start alternating early and mid arenas to concentrate their numbers.....
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 02:23:37 PM by tedrbr »

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2006, 02:22:48 PM »
Hell I am a Furballing Toolsheader, I sometimes get confused and find myself dogfighting in a B-26... (quite fun actually)

As far as I am concered the more combat  the better..

Its not like I am trying to get my mining or leather working skills up to level 300 alla WOW...

You will never here "Oh look a +4 hispano of LA slaying" thank god :P