Author Topic: Testing Capture system in LW orange today  (Read 35459 times)

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Testing Capture system in LW orange today
« Reply #930 on: December 05, 2006, 10:46:49 AM »
If you can't convince these guys to attack in the regular small arenas how are you going to get them to coordinate an attack? Bish have just never really been good at premeditated teamwork and I think this also has to be taken into consideration.

As Quah pointed out ... I believe in time, existing squads or newly formed squads will rise to the top and lead countries forward.

Squads like the MAW, USMC, Arabian Knights, CAF, FreeBirds, etc ... were predominate back in AH I ... they took on the responsibility to bring the fight, and in time, we will see these types of squads again within each country.

I remember back one night in AH I when I flew with the MAW ... the Knights were down to 4 bases ... 40DogMAW logged on ... he took the bull by the horns and started an offensive. People respected the MAW and 40Dog so all joined in whatever 40Dog asked for.

The Knights ended up resetting the arena within 4 hours ... after being down to just 4 bases ... never seen anything like it since.

The same was true for Grim (CO of the USMC) ... all he had to do was ask, and people jumped to make it happen.

I forget who was running the AKs back then (AKNimtz ?) ... but he got the same respect from the Bish.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #931 on: December 05, 2006, 10:52:11 AM »
Originally posted by john9001
don't worry , as soon as they figure out how to "work the system" you "fighters" will want more changes.

Who are you and what have you done with 44Mag? :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #932 on: December 05, 2006, 11:05:42 AM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
If you can't convince these guys to attack in the regular small arenas how are you going to get them to coordinate an attack? Bish have just never really been good at premeditated teamwork and I think this also has to be taken into consideration.

As Quah pointed out ... I believe in time, existing squads or newly formed squads will rise to the top and lead countries forward.

Squads like the MAW, USMC, Arabian Knights, CAF, FreeBirds, etc ... were predominate back in AH I ... they took on the responsibility to bring the fight, and in time, we will see these types of squads again within each country.

I remember back one night in AH I when I flew with the MAW ... the Knights were down to 4 bases ... 40DogMAW logged on ... he took the bull by the horns and started an offensive. People respected the MAW and 40Dog so all joined in whatever 40Dog asked for.

The Knights ended up resetting the arena within 4 hours ... after being down to just 4 bases ... never seen anything like it since.

The same was true for Grim (CO of the USMC) ... all he had to do was ask, and people jumped to make it happen.

I forget who was running the AKs back then (AKNimtz ?) ... but he got the same respect from the Bish.

I think there's a distinct lack of respect overall in the LW MA's these days.  Could be a product of 'generation Counterstrike', a flood of squeakers, the sheer number of players, or something else entirely.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 11:09:29 AM by scottydawg »

Offline Boomer49

• Zinc Member
« Reply #933 on: December 05, 2006, 11:17:09 AM »
Ok...Gonna hang my six out in the breeze here........

It is time to stop the whining, grumbling, name calling, pitty pot sitting, bashing, poor me syndrome, wah wah wah and S*** or get off the pot.

Get together with your Countrymates, Squadron Mates and plan, come up with strategies, use some tactics and win a war or two.

"Attack, Attack, Always Attack". (Gen. George S. Patton Jr.)

I was in orange last night and by the looks of the map, things were getting hot over a base. I upped in B26's and called 3 different times for status over the base w/ no answer, well when I got in visual there was this great big cluster you know what going on. There is more to this game than flying in a circle and shooting other planes. Well, if all your interested in is how many points you can get, then maybe there isn't more to the game.

Has anyone in here ever heard of Foward Air Control? It's amazing what can be done CREATIVELY with that concept.

I tell ya, if one of the countries, either Bishop, Knight or Rook ever get organized and use ALL components of Combat Tactics........well......no one else would have a chance.

So, those of you who wish to rip me apart for the preceding, go right ahead. But think about it, there is more to war then shooting bullets at 300 mph.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #934 on: December 05, 2006, 11:48:52 AM »
Overall I like the changes, however I do feel that alot of the analysis is over simplified. If you look at historical realities the Allies simply "horded" the germans. Allied forces simply put the Axis in a meatgrinder and didnt let up....

Yes you can alter the flow of play with missions etc....but one you reach a point where the knights are (or were as of last night) you have no radar no ords and no base close to your "capture" base except the one your defending. Yes you can launch "strike missions" from longer range bases....but you are then fighting two issues....1st your taking away from your defense (which is already outnumbered) and your flying into an enemy that is already projecting a forward area of operations....so in effect they are meeting you over your "territory" at combat alt's....so while your trying to "attack" they are dropping your FH's (exactly what happened) and intercepting your attack with their "excess" forces...

Truthfully when the balance gets that tipped your not getting it back with a "mission"...no matter how uber. I couldnt get with in a 1/2 sector of the rook base (A3??) without running into multiple 20k cons...

Basically tactics and stratagy will be more important and have a greater impact during the early parts of the "struggle" however once things reach the "meatgrinder" stage "recovery" will be more difficult and more map dependant. Here it seemed the only field to "stage" from was on the existing rook line of advance....so it didnt help much....

could "we" do/have done a better job....sure. But realistically I think you have a reenactment of the airwar over germany in Jan 45....yea I could snipe a few and land....or mix it up and die.....but "Berlin" was gonna get hammered either way.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
« Reply #935 on: December 05, 2006, 12:26:35 PM »
Originally posted by Waffle BAS
dude - I told you guys that Hitech has been a BOP for over two years....one of those "shades" accounts that he flys under....

and I'm not telling who it is. :rofl
Skuzzy was a BK too.

:lol

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #936 on: December 05, 2006, 12:37:22 PM »
Originally posted by scottydawg
I think there's a distinct lack of respect overall in the LW MA's these days.  Could be a product of 'generation Counterstrike', a flood of squeakers, the sheer number of players, or something else entirely.

I don't know that it's any different then my AW days.  Certainly there are more players overall so an arena getting to know each other, doesn't happen the same way as it did back then.

Ultimately I think it's still the 'race to the reset' mentality at any cost that sets the tone.  Winning the war takes consideration over gameplay.  No one likes to lose, and when the ultimate goal is seen as resetting the map, then being on the winning side means going with the largest crowd and sticking in the middle of it to be a part of the 'success'.

That's not unique to AH obviously, but for whatever reason it's evolved here to the point it's changed the game from combat to speed.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #937 on: December 05, 2006, 12:58:24 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
I don't know that it's any different then my AW days.  Certainly there are more players overall so an arena getting to know each other, doesn't happen the same way as it did back then.

Ultimately I think it's still the 'race to the reset' mentality at any cost that sets the tone.  Winning the war takes consideration over gameplay.  No one likes to lose, and when the ultimate goal is seen as resetting the map, then being on the winning side means going with the largest crowd and sticking in the middle of it to be a part of the 'success'.

That's not unique to AH obviously, but for whatever reason it's evolved here to the point it's changed the game from combat to speed.

If you were around in AW 1 you couldn't even capture bases.  All you could do was temporarily disable them.

The "race to the re-set" mentality is fueled by the perks alloted to the winning team and especially if your a newbie or just not that good then this is a strong motivator.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
« Reply #938 on: December 05, 2006, 12:58:32 PM »
Originally posted by Guppy35

Maybe I'm casting a rose-colored sheen over my memories of AW, but I don't really remember the kind of rancor I've seen here.

I can't say I disagree with you re: the reset.  I'm not sure why this is happening but as soon as a side starts to gain momentum, it seems they just keep steamrolling with more and more players, maybe from other arenas?

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
« Reply #939 on: December 05, 2006, 12:59:27 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
If you were around in AW 1 you couldn't even capture bases.  All you could do was temporarily disable them.

The "race to the re-set" mentality is fueled by the perks alloted to the winning team and if your a newbie or just not that good then this is a strong motivator.

What is it, like 25 perk points?

/no idea.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #940 on: December 05, 2006, 01:14:34 PM »
Maybe I'm casting a rose-colored sheen over my memories of AW, but I don't really remember the kind of rancor I've seen here.

I can't say I disagree with you re: the reset.  I'm not sure why this is happening but as soon as a side starts to gain momentum, it seems they just keep steamrolling with more and more players, maybe from other arenas?

I still have those rose colored glasses too :)

But I do remember when it went from the AW1 set up where there was limited base capture, to unlimited capture, things started to change there as well.

Seems like I remember being there the night folks decided to see if it was possible to eliminate one country by taking all the bases.  It took big numbers of people vs smaller numbers to make it happen.

It's been downhill ever since :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #941 on: December 05, 2006, 01:23:24 PM »
The "race to the re-set" mentality is fueled by the perks alloted to the winning team and especially if your a newbie or just not that good then this is a strong motivator.

Nobody in right mind will waste lots of time for silly 25 perks he can get for single sortie. Even 2 day noob can get them far faster just flying any HO-machine.

Ppl want to win war, not to get few perks for it.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #942 on: December 05, 2006, 01:26:39 PM »
What is it, like 25 perk points?

/no idea.

I don't have any idea either.  I saw someone on text channel one night say 45-45-45 fighter, vehicle, bomber but I don't know if that's true or not.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #943 on: December 05, 2006, 01:28:20 PM »
Originally posted by Oleg
Nobody in right mind will waste lots of time for silly 25 perks he can get for single sortie. Even 2 day noob can get them far faster just flying any HO-machine.

Ppl want to win war, not to get few perks for it.

Most single sorties are more like 2-4 perks unless I REALLY suck.  Base captures are in the 25 range I think.

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #944 on: December 05, 2006, 01:53:25 PM »
Most single sorties are more like 2-4 perks unless I REALLY suck.  Base captures are in the 25 range I think.

Try planes with ENJ <= 20.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou