Author Topic: CH Products F16 CombatStick USB question...  (Read 795 times)

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
CH Products F16 CombatStick USB question...
« on: December 02, 2000, 07:11:00 PM »
Does anyone know if you can map the 8 view directions to any of the CH Products F16 CombatStick's hats?  I see in their product list it says they are 4 way hats, which struck me as very odd.  I am looking at buying a new stick, and the combatstick looks good to me, but I won't buy it if I can't have 8 views mapped to a hat.

If anyone has any other suggestions for a USB stick with multiple buttons/hats, I'm open to 'em as well.

Gordo

eskimo

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2000, 08:53:00 AM »
Lance;

I have the CH F-16 Fighterstick.
The 8-way hat works just fine in AH.
I also use the little index finger button for up view and the pinke for down.  That's 26 views with 1 hat and 2 buttons!
It has 2 separate fire buttons, index trigger and thumb.
I use the side thumb-hat for el. and rudder trim, another hat for zoom, [, and ], and the fourth hat for ail. trim and films and pics (never use them though).

I can't do Jack without all the buttons, and am very happy with it's perpormance.  

I have had Saitek and TM sticks and throttles, and prefer CH stuff.

Saitek, IMO, has the best argonomics/feel (sp.?) and button possibilities, but the quality sucks.  They wear out in a couple of months, spike like crazy, and caused 3 different types of computer lock-ups!  One kind required a hard re-boot.  I have heard that the USB versions don't have the lock-up problem, but the pots still suck and the bushings wear out.

TM has pretty good quality (Although 2 out of 4 of the units that I bought had faulty buttons right out of the box.).  
TM programing (at least 4 years ago)[F-16 FLCS + WCS] was a nightmare.  I honestly think I could ace any college math course with less effort than it takes to learn and troubleshoot TM programing.  Saitek can be learned in an hour, CH in 5 min.  TM support is non-existant.

I have yet to try the Logitek Digital stuff, but have heard GREAT things about thier sensitivity and durability.  Don't think they have quite so many buttons and hats though.

Anyway, I also have a CH pro throttle and Pro rudders that I am also very satisfied with and have very few problems.

Bottom line, SPLURGE!  You won't regret it.

eskimo

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2000, 07:23:00 PM »
Thanks, Eskimo.  I'm really trying to stick to USB gear.  Supposedly they will be coming out with a USB Fighterstick at some point, and if the Combatstick doesn't have the ability to map all 8 views to one of its hats, I will hold out for the Fighterstick.  Unfortunately, I haven't found a place in Austin that carries the Combatstick for me to find out for sure in person.

Gordo

eskimo

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2000, 08:36:00 PM »
I bought my stuff from

Buy.com

There are lots of other on-line merchants who also carry CH and just about anything from any brand that you could ever want.

eskimo

funked

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2000, 12:04:00 AM »
I have a Combatstick USB and it has two 4-way hats.  I use my Pro Throttle for views so it doesn't bother me.

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2000, 05:03:00 PM »
I had the top line Thrustmaster stuff for years until it wore out and Thrustmaster no longer has a good support department. As a result I was stuck with the same decision process you are now facing.

I really wanted the CH Fighter stick ( I think that's the one with all the extra buttons and hats etc.), but it wasn't out in USB yet. I couldn't accept the CH Combat stick ( I think that's the one with only a couple of hats?).

The only all USB stuff I could find was the Saitek x36 combo which is a stand alone Throttle with buttons and hats, and a stick with buttons and hats. The Saitek hats are 8 way hats.

I purchased this equipment just to get me from my old Thrustmaster stuff until the new CH USB equipment came out. I can't tell you how pleased I am with this Saitek USB combo product. It is far superior to the old Saitek analog stuff that has all those problems you've been hearing about. In addition to the excellent feel this stick has been rock solid for quite some time. The placement of hats and buttons is perfect.

If you decide to try this x36 combo download my  profile at the download page to get you started. At around $90, or less at some discount places, for both a good throttle and stick you can't go wrong.

Ranger Bob

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2000, 05:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

Gordo

Offline tshred

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2000, 03:15:00 AM »
I know you can convert the Force FX 4 way hat to an 8 way hat by taking it apart and trimming some of the 'hat housing' away to allow it to move diagonally and engage 2 buttons at once giving you the other 4 way ability. I haven't tried it with my Combat stick, but have taken both apart and investigated it but never have tried it yet and from the looks of it, the Combat stick should be capable of it as well. I have both USB and regular Pro Pedals, and have dissected them both, and there isn't a bit of differece mechanically between the two, same pots, linkages, etc. This leads me to believe it might be possible with the new USB versions of the Combatstick to convert it to 8 way, which again appears from the pictures to be the same old sticks just with USB electronics. Then again, why wouldn't CH have done this? I'm gonna try it with my Combat Stick(analog) and see if it works........will post results.

I am waiting for the USB Fighterstick as well, or I'd get the USB Combatstick(version with the bigger base) and give it a try myself. The Fighterstick has and extra 4 way hat instead of a thumb button and of course the 8 way hat, the only differences between it and the Combatstick(version with bigger base and springs).

ts

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2000, 06:15:00 AM »
I would wait for the Fighterstick USB (I have the normal version and LOVE it!).

But good news is this post over in the hardware forum, from one of the guys that work at CH.
 http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum10/HTML/000541.html

Basically the USB Pro Throttle and Fighterstick is just about to come out the door.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2000, 08:59:00 AM »
 ALL CH 4-way hats are modifiable to be 8-way. ONLY the CH F-16 "Fighterstick" came with the 8-way hat.

If you have some semblence of dexterity here is the procedure. I can confirm this will work with the CH FFX and thier USB Gamestick. The 4-way hats are the same.

http://www.zeb.clara.net/jstick.html

-Westy

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2000, 12:10:00 PM »
CH starts production on the USB Pro-Throtlle in Jan. of next year, it will have a small joystick on it that will let you swivel you views around without using any button, so if ya can hold on a bit it should really improve your options. I have a CH USB 565F Combat stick and thats what I'm waitin on in-addition to the Pro-Pedals so I dont have to put up with the jerky keyboard rudder inputs.
Hard to tune your firing solution with keyboard rudder, whoa your to the left whoa your to the right ahhh watermelon he split-S etc.

You can if your technically skilled remove the 4-way and install an 8-way hat, but since your a new buyer you may want to wait on the USB Fighter stick & USB Pro-Throttle!

Offline Tyro48

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2000, 12:13:00 PM »
You can map all eight views to the combat stick but then you would have to use the keyboard for elev. trim and rudder trim etc.