Author Topic: Range Icons. Do we need 'em?  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Range Icons. Do we need 'em?
« on: May 13, 2000, 10:28:00 PM »
Why do we have 'em?? We can set up a gunsight that frames the wingspan of a fighter at 200 yards, so why do we have range counters in AH? Surely; a scrolling digital range indicator was not found on the dash of any WWII a/c I know about.

Are range icons a crutch for those that can't see thru a gunsight?? A 'newbies' concession to play balance??

I'd like to see the range counter removed from the icon display to put a modicum of skill back into the gunnery component of AH fighter combat.

Opinions?

Hang

The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2000, 10:51:00 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly

at the very least remove range icons inside of d3.0
playing w/o icons has proven to me they are a detractor from gameplay and tactics.

NO REAL WW2 PILOT COULD PRECISELY DETERMINE RANGE THE WAY WE CAN. MUCH LESS CLOSURE THE WAY WE CAN.

it is so artificial it stiffles gameplay and only gives people somthing to complain about when the get hit because they were "WORKING THE NUMBERS" to see if they were getting away and out of range.

every time I play in the TA without ICONS all guns feel realistic and accurate because I and the others in the TA flying with ICONS off subconciously hold fire till up close and personal since an airplane at d900 looks only a tiny bit larger than an airplane at d1.2

but you guys all knwo what I would do to all ENEMY ICONS if I got the chance  

*POOF*! gone

[This message has been edited by Citabria (edited 05-13-2000).]
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2000, 01:19:00 AM »
Good idea. However, I think that many will find it too hard after it would be introduced.

How about a separate HA with all icons removed ?

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2000, 02:37:00 AM »
Pull range icons and replace them with a proper gunsight, not the "reflected ring-and bead" setup we got now.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2000, 02:50:00 AM »
Good point on the closure...It really helps to know. You can get a good Idea of a guys e-state by knowing your speed and watching how the range icon changes...It is a huge crutch to more than just gunnery.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2000, 03:00:00 AM »

Originally posted by Hristo:
How about a separate HA with all icons removed ?
This is definately what we need ! Maybe an Icon with Just a country Icon...no plane type, no range...in the HA of course ?

Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline danish

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2000, 03:10:00 AM »
Main argument for icons: screen depth perception.Thus range and closure perception will acturally be (much) poorer than RL.
That other W brand tried no icons in HA arena some time ago.Apart for some russian roulette types it was a flop ;=)

Prediction: if no icons are introduced attendence will be *very* low - only held up by the radar.Personally Id rather say goodbye to the latter + reduced range icons: like 40\friendly 18\foe.

danish

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2000, 04:05:00 AM »
As Danish said, lack of depth perception. Add to that that the human eye is quite good at picking up movements, especially in the periphery and this cannot be modelled unless you have a very big monitor/fim screen.

Now, I agree about the range icon. How about an EAW variant; keeping the icon and providing range info (at most, and this is debateable) from 8-5k? Also, adding some random variation in when the icon is displayed would make it more interesting also  

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2000, 04:20:00 AM »
nice idea Hangtime, unless your in a tank shooting at another tank, better get real close.

by the way Hangtime, you made it to my squad page, lol
all in fun of course

blue skies all
wolf37

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2000, 04:26:00 AM »
How about (in order to make up for the lack of depth perception) rounding it up to the nearest .5k?

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2000, 05:22:00 AM »
Depth and motion perception are the problem but I agree with the sentiment Hang.
I would suggest a range that diplays as it does now from 7 to 3k in a reversed box (solid colour white text) then swops to just plain inside 3k with no range info.
I would also like to see plane type removed and just have freind or foe not even country (keep squad highlight) ,as  judgement calls are made now as to how to engage way before you could identify the plane visually in reality. I think it would be more compettitve and interesting if you didn't know your oppo until you were close enough to visually ID them.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2000, 06:49:00 AM »
they didnt use depth perception in ww2, they looked at how big the plane was and guessed by that on distance.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2000, 07:18:00 AM »
What Hangtime said

Rude Out!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2000, 07:55:00 AM »
True, depth perception is most noticeable at relatively short distances. Still, the peripheral movement bit suggests we at least keep icons under some circumstances. Range is another matter  

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2000, 08:06:00 AM »
IMHO it is best to let icons on, but the range numbers dissapearing under 1.5K.

That way the long range hawg turbolasers will be much less effective and you **must** measure the closure rate and distance on your own.

and please, make possible to change sights mode between AA and AG. It would be helpful on Jabo!!!