Author Topic: Gentleman’s Agreement  (Read 964 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« on: December 16, 2006, 06:12:34 PM »
I was thinking about my "Respect" post of this morning throughout the day while doing weekend chores.  I kept the following "Gentleman's Agreement" open on my desktop throughout the day and added to it as I thought of things.

I'm sure I left things out, things will need to be tweaked and some will want to remove things.  Fine.  Consider it a start.

Once we all have something the majority of us could agree to (like that will ever happen) I think it should be posted as an arena message for everyone who's logging into one of the MA's for the first time.

Will it help?  I would never expect 100% compliance but it couldn't hurt.

Here goes:

Gentleman’s Agreement

1.   It is not OK to take a head-on shot (HO) on an initial one-on-one or many-on-one merge.  After the initial merge anything goes.  Likewise, when merging into a one-on-many or many-on-many anything goes.

2.   Purposefully colliding with/ramming an opponent is never OK.

3.   Vulching and cherry-picking are allowed at any time.

4.   It’s common courtesy to ask a countryman if he needs/wants help in a one-on-one or one-on-two situation.  If he declines, find another fight.  If he doesn’t answer it’s OK to join as he probably has his hands full.  Anything beyond one-on-two is OK to join.

5.   It is not OK to join a three-on-one or higher.  Note:  this does not mean three to one odds but refers to “piling-on” a single opponent.

6.   It is never OK to steal someone’s kill.  (i.e. a plane that’s flaming and/or missing major components and falling to earth).  Other than that, if they’re still flying they’re fair game.

7.   It’s common courtesy to give someone a check six call if it appears that an enemy is moving in on them.  Conversely, it is never OK to flame your countrymen for not giving you a check six.  They may have had their hands full or not noticed.  Situational Awareness is your responsibility.

8.   Never expect your countrymen to bail you out.  If you can’t get out of a situation you shouldn’t have gotten into it.  Flaming your countrymen for not helping you out is considered rude.  They may be heavy headed to target, low on fuel, low on ammo, are damaged or are simply outmatched by your opponent among other possible reasons.

9.   When asking a countryman for help, apprise him of the situation if you won’t be able to stick around to help him once he clears your six.

10.   It’s never OK to flame an opponent on channel 200 if he has abided by these rules of engagement.

11.   Nothing forces you to obey these rules nor will any penalty be assessed if you don’t but, you will likely gain more respect and others will likely be more willing to help you when you need it if you do.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline nirvana

• Platinum Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 06:24:07 PM »
It's okay to vulch but not HO?  I'm out:(
Who are you to wave your finger?

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 06:30:32 PM »
Here's one to add already from RedTop's reply to my Respect post.

If you've had a good fight, win or lose, give your opponent a and a WTG on channel 200.  Good sportsmanship will gain you far more respect throughout the arena than flaming.

BTW, as to HOing vs. vulching, I only left HOing in a 1 on 1 merge or more than 1 on 1 as a no-no.  You have to be able to vulch to cap an airfield.

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 06:41:39 PM »
there is no such thing as one person in a head on in a merge situation outside of a furball.

if you dont get out of the way you are going to be in their sights.  if you dont avoid going straight at your opponent you will have demonstrated that you may just be considering that head on yourself.

a smart pilot will avoid this by setting up for the valuable moments following the merge and will most likely already be turning to get on the other guys six by the time the merge actually happens.

it's like a deer in headlights complaining that the car didnt avoid them.

doi.
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield. -Ulysses.

word.

Offline Sgtlead

• Zinc Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 07:55:56 PM »
I agree with JB88.  If you get HOed its because you HOed back.  the HO was a primary tactic of the Flying tigers in China.

Yes I get upset sometimes to when I get HOed but I realize I could have turned out and avioded the situation.:aok
In God we trust, all others we run through NCIC

When you see that Mosquito easing up on your 6 relax.  Its just me.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 08:35:23 PM »
too many rules, just fight, no rules.
44MAG

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2006, 08:45:57 PM »
I was with you til I read rules 1 and 3. Shooting someone in the back is cowardly, as is shooting someone on the runway. To say either of those is okay, but trying to simultaneously kill your opponent while he's doing the same is wrong is just silly.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2006, 10:04:41 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
I was with you til I read rules 1 and 3. Shooting someone in the back is cowardly, as is shooting someone on the runway. To say either of those is okay, but trying to simultaneously kill your opponent while he's doing the same is wrong is just silly.

Like I said.  Things can be added, subtracted or changed until we have a "representative view" of the community.  I tried to take what I felt would be a "moderate" view; one that would cause the least amount of initial dissent after reading a lot of posts on these boards so, if I'm reading your post correctly, you're in favor of HOing and against cherry-picking and vulching correct?

BTW, isn't getting position on someones six "shooting them in the back"?  How do you subdue and cap a field without vulching?  Not meant to challenge you.  Just legitimate questions.

Offline loser

• Silver Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2006, 10:42:22 PM »
Were you home-schooled by chance?

I would like Laz to attend this thread and outline his views on nannying of any form.

Just worry about yourself, how you behave, and how you fly.  Lead by example, not by some H.S. list of limp-wristed "nice-guy" flying "rules." You fly your falsely "chivalrous" way, but dont cry if someone else doesnt play the game like you, oh brave sir knight of teh sky!

:rolleyes:

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2006, 11:13:52 PM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
Here's one to add already from RedTop's reply to my Respect post.

If you've had a good fight, win or lose, give your opponent a and a WTG on channel 200.  Good sportsmanship will gain you far more respect throughout the arena than flaming.

BTW, as to HOing vs. vulching, I only left HOing in a 1 on 1 merge or more than 1 on 1 as a no-no.  You have to be able to vulch to cap an airfield.

personally, when i lose i never send a .  the reason....i feel that it sends the wrong message.  i let the victor determine if the fight was worthy. just me though:)
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2006, 11:34:12 PM »
Originally posted by Sgtlead
the HO was a primary tactic of the Flying tigers in China.

Another History Channel ACM "expert," I see...

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2006, 11:47:09 PM »
first of all, this is a game and its a totally different animal than real combat.

fact:  facing cartoon bullets is not the same as facing down real ones.  there is just no real comparison.  it's silly.

imho, a HO in this game is something that people do when they lack either the skill or the patience to win a fight in the manner least likely to end in your own death.

that is not to say that there arent times where it is forced...usually in a furball when you come out of a turn and you see an enemy coming right at you and you pretty much have no choice but to kill or be killed.

for the most part, HO's are for noobs that lack the ability to do anything else.  i know because it used to be all that i knew and thus i used to take that chance on the merge.   there was a reason that i lost alot more fights then.

now i avoid it.  i like to fight and i like to win without putting myself in a 50/50 firing position that i will likely be damaged by and have to limp home anyway.
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

word.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 12:01:17 AM »
I will always HO someone trying to cherry a furball, and I will always HO perk rides, because they're normally flown by frightened little girls who deserve to cartoon-die.  I will never change my perspective on this. There is no reason to fly timidly, and those who do should be punished.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline JB88

• Plutonium Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 12:10:58 AM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
I will always HO someone trying to cherry a furball, and I will always HO perk rides, because they're normally flown by frightened little girls who deserve to cartoon-die.  I will never change my perspective on this. There is no reason to fly timidly, and those who do should be punished.

(he says that...but it's really because he fights like a purse swinging nancy)
this thread is doomed.
www.augustbach.com  

word.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Gentleman’s Agreement
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 02:45:05 AM »

No respect!

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$