Author Topic: U Boats!  (Read 1095 times)

Offline bzek74

• Copper Member
U Boats!
« on: December 19, 2006, 10:07:31 AM »
I havent had the chance to read back, But I cant think of anything in the sea that had a great of a impact as subs. Namely the U Boat.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
U Boats!
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 10:46:46 AM »

Been asked for.:D

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
U Boats!
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 11:01:35 AM »
Aces High and Below ?

It would be a mega development for allow for more independant control of Destroyers with Echo sounding, depth charges etc. Should be no problem for HT to code up in his spare time :cool:

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
would be a waste
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 11:19:54 AM »
Talking as someone who has spent more than few hours looking through the Silent Hunter III periscope, U-Boats here would be a waste.  Your only ship targets are all traveling at 30+ knots, so unless HT models a seawolf class ssn, your chance of ever getting a torpedo shot at somethiing is pretty slim.  I suppose if you wanted to you could spend a few hours offshore of an enemy port and hope you catch the CV in the right position as it respawns, but I don't think too many people would have the patience for it.

EagleDNY
$.02

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
U Boats!
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 11:46:42 AM »
Keep in mind the basic speed of a submerged U-boat is about 10-15 knots. Surface speed was about 22 (that's around the high-end).

CVs already out-run torpedos in this game. Why do CVs get to travel at break-neck, insane, unhistorical speeds, but torpedos don't?

Offline bzek74

• Copper Member
U Boats!
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 11:50:38 AM »
Its to add a lil more threat to a cv and make sea warfare a lil more realistic. Just a idea maybe have a squad perk system for stuff like this? It would make things like prehaps subs, b29s, tiger 2's and prehaps even v1 and v2 rockets interesting to say the least.  

Example being squad perks = % of overall earned squad perks which ranked members can use to purchase tide turning war machines.

It would be interesting to see what a full squad gunned b-29 can do.

After a boring day at work Ive read the forums and seeing a b29 in ah seems as likely as having your jeep attacked by a t rex. But its the thought that counts.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
U Boats!
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 12:06:57 PM »
Krusty: CV's do not out run torpedoes in AH.

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
Torpedo Question...
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 12:15:58 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Krusty: CV's do not out run torpedoes in AH.

Are torpedo speeds constant across all the torpedo types in the game?
I'd love to have info on what torps are running how fast if there is a difference.  

I've scored torpedo hits, but its tricky.  Shooting your torp from abaft the CV's beam is pretty much a waste unless you are REAL close.  My best luck has been running in on the bow and letting the torpedo loose "down the throat" if the CV doesn't turn, or turning into him at an angle when he does.  Either way, closer is better, brave the ack and get in still closer...

EagleDNY

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
U Boats!
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 12:37:38 PM »
Hitech, the rate of closure on torps in a tail chase is about 2mph faster than the CV itself. You fire torps BEHIND a cv, even if you're dead on and they will expire (their lifespan will run out) before they hit the CV. While they may be faster than the CV, the difference is inconsequential. It makes torpedos somewhat useless in all but frontal attacks (or front-angle attacks).

Offline bzek74

• Copper Member
U Boats!
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 12:40:46 PM »
If this was all true then history itself would be wrong, or sub captains had the luck of a senior citizen with a lotto ticket. Sub warfare worked and worked well. The only downside was the moments they were exposed to aquire a target and direct ord.

The Navy had a huge war budget dedicated to its anti sub dept. Had there been a min threat I dont think so much effort would have been put into it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 12:43:42 PM by bzek74 »

Offline Tails

• Nickel Member
U Boats!
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2006, 12:53:22 AM »
U-boats had a good accounting for themselves because of what they were primarily hunting: Merchants. And even then there was a point when things just started going down-hill for the U-boats in general.

U-boats encountering capital combatants was, indeed, VERY rare and mostly a result of luck, extreme planning, or both.

Having said that, I would give my favorite toe for a Type IX-D2 :p
BBTT KTLI KDRU HGQK GDKA SODA HMQP ACES KQTP TLZF LKHQ JAWS SMZJ IDDS RLLS CHAV JEUS BDLI WFJH WQZQ FTXM WUTL KH

(Yup, foxy got an Enigma to play with)

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
U Boats!
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2006, 06:04:32 AM »
Originally posted by bzek74
If this was all true then history itself would be wrong, or sub captains had the luck of a senior citizen with a lotto ticket. Sub warfare worked and worked well. The only downside was the moments they were exposed to aquire a target and direct ord.

The Navy had a huge war budget dedicated to its anti sub dept. Had there been a min threat I dont think so much effort would have been put into it.

First, realize that the primary target of most submarines was merchant shipping.  There were periods where the kriegsmarine ordered U-boat skippers to only attack merchant ships and NOT attack warships.  It isn't that there was a minimal U-boat threat, it's just what that threat really was - the destruction of supply lines between the US and Britain.

That said, there are some spectacular exploits of U-boat captains getting in shots against warships, but they are the exception.  The U-boat captains would've had quite a problem if every ship they met cruised along at 35 kts like the CV does here.  IRL ships which use fuel cruise along at a far lesser speed unless there is some emergency, or unless they are actually launching aircraft.  

There are better things we could bring to AH first - how about just surface groups?  Multiple cruisers and destroyers with no CV?  That would seem to be an easier thing to implement, and would actually bring some interesting action to the game as the surface group shells targets or tries to intercept a CV group.

EagleDNY
$.02

Offline bzek74

• Copper Member
U Boats!
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2006, 06:19:56 AM »
Prehaps maybe the more ports your country owns the more ships you have in your fleet?

I also researched the number of documented U boat encounters vs us and british naval vessels and according to what I found....it was pretty rare during the entire course of the war there were only 28 encounters of U boats firing on armored gunned ships. So if you take the total number of days that the war lasted you had about a good of a chance of dying by shark attack.

Would still make for interesting gameplay now that the thought of merchant ships came into play since we have city, ord, and hq icons. Why not have merchant ships somewhat of the same value?

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
U Boats!
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 05:19:01 PM »
Originally posted by bzek74

Would still make for interesting gameplay now that the thought of merchant ships came into play since we have city, ord, and hq icons. Why not have merchant ships somewhat of the same value?

Be no milkrunning there. You can go out and strafe a barge now if that is what floats your boat. :D

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: Torpedo Question...
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 07:27:19 PM »
Originally posted by EagleDNY
Are torpedo speeds constant across all the torpedo types in the game?
I'd love to have info on what torps are running how fast if there is a difference. ...
Axis torpedos - 46 mph, run for 1 min 40 seconds. Drop < 400 ft < 180 mph.
Allied torpedos - 39.33 mph, run for 4 min 0 seconds. Drop < 1000 ft < 250 mph
CV Speed - 35 mph.

Edit for CV.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001