Author Topic: Next time you meet a wealthy person, thank them...  (Read 4130 times)

Offline Neubob

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My Movie Clip Website
Next time you meet a wealthy person, thank them...
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2006, 06:27:04 PM »
Originally posted by storch
sadly very few of us will.  the ultra wealthy, the people who's family have reams of stocks in companies like standard oil and others of that nature , who's family fortunes were made prior to the introduction of the personal income tax can no longer be made or even maintained.  there is a systematic approach to dismantling personal wealth in this country.  I believe that the punitive nature of our tax code really works against the good of our nation.

there can no longer be fortunes made by men like henry morrison flagler who with his own money, built the florida east coast railroad from northeast florida and ultimately down to key west.  he did this because he was building luxury hotels so that guilded age northeasterners could holiday their winters in balmy florida.  the collateral benefit was the opening up the otherwise swampy and hostile land to developement.

bill gates is a pauper if you compare him to the fortunes made by men like rockefeller, goulds, flagler, carneigie and other's who's names now escape me.  in their wake they left behind railroads, towns, mines, mills, the infrastructure which allowed the United States to become what we enjoy today.

what do today's weak and feable billionaires leave as they pass on?  bill gates leaves us a poorly working, bug infested yet monoplitical operating system.

kind of makes you wonder.

I watched personally a family rise from impovrished immigrants to this supposed indulgent class over the course of two decades and a half of shedding sweat and blood. Not billionaires, but nevertheless able to afford everything they want. I don't think thay have a reason to feel ashamed or guilty of having achieved this status, nor do I think that it is worthy of ridicule or suspicion. There's no shame in being rewarded for immense labor and effort. Those that think that there is a limit to how much a person can honestly earn, in this nation, are probably not worthy of the responsibility and attention this sort of status commands. It's probably better that way anyway.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2006, 07:04:23 PM »
Originally posted by cpxxx
I am glad to see the rich are paying their way. But they hardly feel it. If the top 1% are paying 35% of the taxes then that must be because the top .5% are earning mind boggling amounts of money. The Gate's, Hilton's, Trumps etc. The best tax cuts are those which lower taxes for the lower and middle income workers.  The rich don't need any help from the government.

Well let's look at the Gate's, Hiltons, Trump's, etc....and let's see what their tax cuts help do....reinvestment into their respective companies.  So they can *hire more people*, expand their companies and...well, all those new things incur more tax receipts.

If you set an environment where people can spend their money, they do.

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2006, 07:16:43 PM »
I think it's very nice of the very rich to share.  Just imagine having so much money you could buy anything you want all the time.  

Can you imagine how much the rich must hate to die?

As Tiny Tim said, Bless us all, each and every one.  

(Something like that)
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2006, 07:38:44 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
oh thrawn, your just being pickyistic.:D

:p

Actually heard a "strategicistic" once, my ****ing head exploded.  The "istic" on the end is for people going for their PhD in "ic"ing

Offline ByeBye

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2006, 07:41:44 PM »
How many wealthy people chose to live in Canada?

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2006, 07:51:35 PM »
You can buy a nice ranch house for 90k or so , not new but nice , no crime either here in Mid Michigan .

We don't have any jobs either to speak of atm . They mostly all going off shore to China atm . So don't come here looking for a job . But housing is damn , really damn cheap atm .

Ithaca , MI
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2006, 08:13:57 PM »
Originally posted by airspro
You can buy a nice ranch house for 90k or so , not new but nice , no crime either here in Mid Michigan .

We don't have any jobs either to speak of atm . They mostly all going off shore to China atm . So don't come here looking for a job . But housing is damn , really damn cheap atm .

Ithaca , MI

Would the last person out of Michigan please turn off the lights...

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2006, 08:39:09 PM »
Originally posted by sluggish
Would the last person out of Michigan please turn off the lights...

That saying used to be common here in the 70's when everyone was moving to Texas.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

storch

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2006, 08:44:13 PM »
back in the 80's after the mariel thing there was a bumper sticker here in miami that the bigoted folks used to sport that said "will the last American leaving miami please bring the flag"

other folks came up with "don't worry the flag will still be here when you return"

I had one made up that said "will the last bigot leaving miami see me for gas money"

that bumper sticker was a good one for meeting new folks  :D

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2006, 08:46:38 PM »
Originally posted by Shamus
That saying used to be common here in the 70's when everyone was moving to Texas.

shamus

I know I live in Michigan too.  It's like the seventies all over again except worse.  If I could break even on my house I'd get the hell out of here as fast as I could.  In the last ten years I've closed three factories and watched a family business fail and these idiots here just re-elected Granholm.  God help us all...

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2006, 09:09:59 PM »
Originally posted by storch

other folks came up with "don't worry the flag will still be here when you return"

the cuban flag?

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2006, 09:20:09 PM »
Originally posted by sluggish
I know I live in Michigan too.  It's like the seventies all over again except worse.  If I could break even on my house I'd get the hell out of here as fast as I could.  In the last ten years I've closed three factories and watched a family business fail and these idiots here just re-elected Granholm.  God help us all...

Ya, if you are in the auto business I can understand your pain.

Back in the 70's only the blue collar stuff got outsourced, now everything except design staff is going overseas plus all the suppliers moving, puts a pounding on the demand for executive type housing.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

storch

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2006, 09:22:07 PM »
no the cuban flag flies over cuba the American flag flies over America.  would you like some gas money?

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2006, 11:44:48 PM »
Originally posted by Silat
Since they control 75% of the capital I think Ill with hold thanking them.:)

Control?  Or earned?  In a capitalist society there's a difference.

There isn't one in a communistic society.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2006, 11:50:43 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
There isn't one in a communistic society.

Yeaaaarrrrggggh!!!!  :mad: