Author Topic: A dweeby question...  (Read 332 times)

Offline dragon25

• Zinc Member
A dweeby question...
« on: December 22, 2006, 05:52:29 PM »
Just purchased and installed an NVidia GeForce 6200, with current drivers. Problems begin about 10 minutes into playing Aces High. The screen and sound locks up, sits for about 30 seaconds, and then reboots my computer. This watermelon didn't start till I installed that stupid card.

In a related incident,  I loaded Silent Hunter 3 for the first time since putting the new card in...BAM....Crash to a blue screen of death that stated that windows had a problem, and was dumping memory....

Anyone heard of this problem, or know a possible fix?

Dragon25 aka DragonCH

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
A dweeby question...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 06:10:34 PM »
Did you uninstall the drivers from your previous card  before installing the new video card?

RTR
The Damned

Offline dragon25

• Zinc Member
A dweeby question...
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 09:13:53 PM »
yes

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
A dweeby question...
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 04:35:01 AM »
Check your temperatures and voltages.

Card could be running hot (as a better card usually produces more heat and the fans you have in your case just cant keep up anymore).

Or your power supply cant handle the additional load from the new card.

Also, what driver are you currently using? (dxdiag output could help) The newest drivers dont work well with some older cards. I have to run my 7600GT on the 84.xx driver.
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
A dweeby question...
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 06:48:53 AM »
If you are using the 9x.xx version drivers, you will have a lot of problems.  The 8x.xx drivers are much more stable.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline dragon25

• Zinc Member
A dweeby question...
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 10:07:25 AM »
Thanx for the driver info. I'm using the 8.4.21 driver. So, to add to my dweeb status, how can I tell/ moniter GPU temps?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
A dweeby question...
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 07:24:02 AM »
That number does not appear to be the right driver number.  Run DXDIAG (Start->Run->DXDIAG), select the "Display" tab, then look at the last 4 numbers of the driver version number.  Thos last 4 numbers are the NVidia driver version.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
A dweeby question...
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 07:56:04 AM »
Originally posted by dragon25
Thanx for the driver info. I'm using the 8.4.21 driver. So, to add to my dweeb status, how can I tell/ moniter GPU temps?

84.21 are good drivers.

as far as tempature, start>ctrl panerl> display>setttings tab>advanced>"yourcard">  look on the left side menu for tempature settings.

Offline dragon25

• Zinc Member
A dweeby question...
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2006, 08:51:23 AM »
Ok, it is 84.21 drivers I'm using. And the temps appear normal, usually low. Now, how does one go aobut checking the voltages?