Author Topic: Crash on takeoff  (Read 2554 times)

Offline liqermixr

• Zinc Member
Crash on takeoff
« on: December 27, 2006, 10:12:45 PM »
I am new to this site and I am very excited about joining you guys that like myself love to fly and dogfight. My problem is that as i try to take off my plane veers left and i have no control over it. I am using a saitek x52 flight controler and throttle. can anybody point me in the right direction to get this problem solved as I would love to join you guys in the air. My equipment works fine offline in ms flight simulator so im not sure whats going on here.
I am also a US Army vet looking for any of my old bros that i served with or anybody that served in the same units. 81-83 HHB 6/14 FA 1st AD (Warbonett) Nurnberg Germany & HHB 1/321 FA 101st AB Ft Campbell KY
I look forward to flying with you guys.
Phillip Brome ( liqermixr)
:)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Crash on takeoff
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2006, 10:30:20 PM »
You need to look at your clipboard, I think under "options", and make sure your controls are properly configured. I STRONGLY suggest you hit the Training Arena and hook up with a good trainer, so you can have them help you get your controls set up properly. Then let them get you introduced into proper ACM and combat strategy. This isn't like MS Flight Simulator. Try Murdr or Widewing in the Training Arena. There are others, but those two I'm familiar with.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Online Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Crash on takeoff
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 10:31:10 PM »
Have you calibrated your joystick?

When you spawn on the runway, dont touch your stick until your in the air. You will know when auto take-off is on when you see "auto takeoff" on the screen. If that goes away quickly without touching your stick soon after you spawn, you should go into the settings and recalibrate your stick.

Should help hopefully

edit - oops too late :)
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
Re: Crash on takeoff
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2006, 10:51:33 PM »
Originally posted by liqermixr
1/321 FA  

Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Crash on takeoff
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 01:45:15 AM »
Try pulling your stick once all the way back before the plane starts moving (=will lock your tail wheel). Then just keep it going straight with your rudder (= twist stick / pedals / rudder bar in the throttle handle).

If this does not help, the problem is in the stick calibration.

Alternatively you can use the "auto take-pff" option in the settings.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline liqermixr

• Zinc Member
Crash on takeoff
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 02:52:30 AM »
all it says for calibration is twist my rudder, slide my throttle and rotate my joystick then pick ok, ive tried that many times, if i use auto take off it gets airborne but then will not let me take control of the plane, controler seems to work ok in combat sim but not in this game,im pullin my hair out here and i dont have much left to pull

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Crash on takeoff
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 05:02:11 AM »
Ok, then you just need to map the correct controls to each axis and slider in Options -> Controls ->"map controllers". Just the same way as you map the keys.

You can also select your stick from "Select controller" pull down menu.

Then check that the "Controller input" list below shows proper functions for you axis and buttons and that the numbers in brackets change while moving your stick and sliders.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 05:07:40 AM by BlauK »

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Crash on takeoff
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2006, 06:41:34 AM »
I hope this isn't insulting, but do you know about torque, P-factor, and gyroscopic effect?  No one has yet asked if you are using rudder to keep your ship straight, so I figure I had better ask.  Microsoft Combat "Simulator" doesn't take things like that into account.

It sounds to me like you simply aren't correcting with rudder.  It's perfectly normal for a high performance single engine aircraft to yaw violently in one direction if not corrected with rudder.  This is doubly true with taildraggers.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Crash on takeoff
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2006, 08:27:43 AM »
Originally posted by liqermixr
all it says for calibration is twist my rudder, slide my throttle and rotate my joystick then pick ok, ive tried that many times, if i use auto take off it gets airborne but then will not let me take control of the plane, controler seems to work ok in combat sim but not in this game,im pullin my hair out here and i dont have much left to pull

Go to map controllers.  Make sure each controller axis is mapped properly.  I use my mouse wheel for throttle and my joystick for flight controls.  Also check the advanced box and for now just hit default.

You have to let the game know what each axis of your stick is for.

Test each axis individually under advanced.  There's 2 boxes to the right.  Raw and scaled.  Make sure as you move the joystick that the slider moves in both boxes through it's full range.

Later you can come back and work with the sliders to scale your stick to someting more comfortable for you.

While you're there you can also map your joystick buttons.

Hope that gets you up and running.

[Edit]  There's more detailed info here:  http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/

I wish they'd make this part of the menu or at least post it as a sticky at the top of this thread.  I have to go hunting through the forums every time I want to find it.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 08:34:20 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline stickpig

• Nickel Member
Crash on takeoff
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2006, 11:46:24 AM »
I was over at Katterbach in '81

B ATTK 501st ABC  :aok
Theyll only give you one chance, Better get it right first time. And the game youre playing
If you lose you gotta pay, If you make just one wrong move Youll get blown away
Expect no mercy  <Nazareth>

"Stay in the manned ack... When your in a plane you are a danger to the ground"  <Norad>

Offline liqermixr

• Zinc Member
crash on take off
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2006, 12:22:42 PM »
Hey Fellas,
In ms combat sim my rudder works fine My joystick has a twisting rudder and my throttle is a seperate unit, what i thought was the coolest of joysticks is turning out to be the most difficult one to use in this game. my controller has 39 buttons but i havent been able to map each one yet, It also has 3 pov toggle buttons on it but only one seems to work in this game. I have checked the game for its cdontrollers and my saitekx52 is not on the list so i pick logitech dual controller from the list, maybe this is part of the problem. I am adding everybody that responds to this on my buddy list as to possibly talk with you guys once i get in the game. my guns seem to work fine in auot take off and not ato, im sure im not far from getting this thing correceted but it sure is frustrating now. I have been looking a long time to find a placed to fly online and go against other people not just the computer. I will keep trying till i get it right, please be patient with this rookie pilot :rolleyes:  as i am doing my best, thanks for being there,
Phil ( liqermixr )

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Crash on takeoff
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 12:31:22 PM »
There was another person having problems getting a Saitek (sp) joystick set up properly in this forum not too long ago.  I think someone might have even posted their set-up or a link to it.  You might want to dig around here a little bit to see if there's a solution there for you.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline liqermixr

• Zinc Member
crash on take off
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 12:33:04 PM »
thanks for the info, i will look around to see if i can find the saitek solution

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Crash on takeoff
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 01:02:38 PM »
The reason the aircraft has a left turning tendency is due to several factors affecting the aircraft.  Will only discuss two here.

1).  An aircraft with a standard undercarriage, that’s two main wheels and a tail wheel, was and still is called the standard configuration.  The  propeller itself is in an extremely  high angle of attack (AOA).  The result is that the prop develops more thrust on the blades downward stroke, which is on the right side of the aircraft (as the pilots sees it from the pilots seat)  As you apply power you will need to apply right rudder to compensate for the induced left turning tendency.

2). Gyroscopic precession,  That’s pure physics.  The propeller which is a spinning mass with the same properties as a gyro.  Any force applied to a gyro is transposed 90*  to the direction that the force was applied from.  Compensated again by ruder and aileron.  Aircraft designers also use wash in and wash out of the wing and tail services.

As the aircraft accelerates down the runway use the rudder to maintain the center of the runway.  Apply power slowly at first.   As the aircraft reaches flying speed, the need for rudder will become less ( because the higher airspeed gives you a more effective rudder)  As the aircraft reaches flying speed the wing becomes more effective and helps offset Gyroscopic precession.  During the takeoff roll when you are able to move the stike forward to raise the tail . you decrease the high AOA and your need for right rudder is less.

Hope this helps
CFII

P.S. try flying a P38. less of a problem because it’s not a standard undercarriage.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Crash on takeoff
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 02:40:11 PM »
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54