Author Topic: Do you love WW2 aircraft or do you just love online games?  (Read 1857 times)

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
Do you love WW2 aircraft or do you just love online games?
« on: January 01, 2007, 12:27:17 AM »
i started playing AH1 because i have always loved WW2 aircraft and reading stories of dogfighting. for instance, since finding AH  (my first online game) i have not played more than a small handfulll of other online games and none for more than a few weeks.

how many here are aviation addicts, and how many just like playing online games in a regular community?

how many would keep playing in the main arenas if AH2 scraped thw world war 2 stuff and only offered a simulation of modern day jet fighting?  the gameplay, the community, ch200 and everything wopuld remain the same, but the WW2 element removed.

i certainly would not stay, as my heart lies with WW2 aviation.

sometimes i find it hard to believe there are 5000+ other people who all play because its about WW2.

stupid thread, maybe, but i thought worth asking
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 12:38:49 AM »
Vintage warbirds all the way.  Probably went from slightly interested to fanatic as soon as I discovered Airwarrior online.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 12:42:18 AM »
Originally posted by Murdr
Vintage warbirds all the way.  Probably went from slightly interested to fanatic as soon as I discovered Airwarrior online.

Ditto

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Frodo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 12:55:19 AM »
WWII A/C addict for sure. Just can't get into other types of games.

Frodo

JG11 

TEAMWORK IS ESSENTIAL....IT GIVES THE ENEMY SOMEONE ELSE TO SHOOT AT.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Do you love WW2 aircraft or do you just love online games?
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 12:58:26 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
my heart lies with WW2 aviation.

Agreed, on all points.

- oldman

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 01:11:05 AM »
As many of my closest friends can attest I honor those who have bravely and honorably put themselves in harms way for the things that are right and true.  

The men and women who dedicated themselves to fighting tyranny in WWII are all heros to me.  To this day I wear my grandfathers dogtags that he wore on Normandy beach.  

If I could pick one time in history to go back to and be a part of it would be as a pilot in WWII where discipline, duty, honor, and courage, regardless of what side you were on actually meant something.  

I love this game but I will never forget the sacrifices of the fallen in that or any war before or since whether in war or peace.

I hope that my conduct in game reflects positively on any and all servicemen and women because, due to their sacrifices, I never had to serve and regret that as a young man I didn't think that service to my country was needed or necesary.  

Were I able to turn back the clock 20 years I would have gladly served.  

For all of you vets regardless of 'side' my hat is off to you because you were called and you went.  

To all of my fellow AH'rs THANK YOU for giving me an outlet and a community where I can find like minded souls.

May 2007 bring all of you the blessings, happiness, and peace, that I've found so very recently.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Killjoy2

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.nortonfamily.net
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2007, 01:18:34 AM »
Warbirds addict.

AH and Warbirds before gives me a chance to understand on a different level how the war was fought in the air.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 01:21:30 AM »
I love the aircraft.

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 01:25:24 AM »
Love the warbirds. About 2 months before finding Aces High I was daydreaming about a game that simulated all of world war two were you could make your own squads, and fly bombers, fighters, everything. I thought to myself "Man, this would be nice". About 2 months after that daydream, my dad got himself DVR for my birthday (Little did he know I would be the one always using it) first channel I tuned to was the Military Channel, then comes this commercial for aces high... I decide to check it out... "HOLY **** IM PSYCHIC!!!" lol. I love warbirds, always have. When I was 9, my friends and I would have these huge 'wars' where we would draw out maps, and planes and ships, and move them around in mock battles. Me and three other kids would rent out all the world war two books in the library, all the military books for that matter, and just read all the time. I even made my dad buy me a $35 book of Warbird pictures for my 7th birthday. I  have been obsessed as long as I can possibly remember!

Offline SAS_KID

• Silver Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/saskid
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2007, 01:30:54 AM »
What can I say this ArmChair Flying will really help me in the Air Force.:D :aok :p
Quote from: hitech on Today at 09:27:26 AM
What utter and compete BS, quite frankly I should kick you off this bbs for this post.

The real truth is you do not like the answer.

HiTech

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 01:39:18 AM »
I like flying but I 'm not anyway addict to it.  I don't have any flying related pictures, videos or books, expect the Rall's diary gift book.

It surely have been fun to fly with regular AH community. Especial with my native fellows.

Maybe not modern day fighters but with - 80 area stuff. The SARH, rear aspect IR and not so capable ARH missile fights. Where I can sign up for my Su-27?

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 02:33:38 AM »
I love this game for the aircraft portrayed in it. I appreciate the fact that, while it is fun, it also teaches about the history of the great warbirds and other vehicles in it. It inspires me to learn more about the bravery of all sides in the war, and the machines that helped them fight it. While this game runs, there is life to WW2 history.

I hope that the younger generation especially picks up on what really made this game come to be.
Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 03:25:26 AM »
WW2 aviation history addict for about the last 40 years or so.  AH just lets me pretend to be the guys I've read so much about and researched over the years.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 03:45:33 AM »
I find myself drawn here for a few reasons, but it should be known what drew me first was the fact that I was a history buff and an a fan of WWII aviation.

After that it was the skill involved in order to be effective in the online arenas.  I often played first-person shooters like Battlefield and MMO's like Everquest, but no matter what else I did, I kept comming back here because I respected what it took to become 'good' here.

I still don't consider myself more than a mediocre pilot who occasionally gets lucky, but at least now I can recognize what someone's done to me and slowly learn how to be less of a baby seal in there.

The pure effort and learning process towards becomming skilled in this thing is what's kept me after the initial lure.  So I guess if it was Jets or Subs or whatever...if it was the same kind of test of skill here, I'd be among the players.
Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 03:49:48 AM »
I started with Air Warriors over 10 years ago because I read an article in a computer magazine and thought it sounded cool.

I immediately became addicted to playing against other real people in real time in an exhilerating enviroment.

I then became a WWII combat aviation addict (I always had an interest but it went over the roof).  I now have books and videos on WWII combat aircraft and combat fighter tactics.

I also do sim racing (NASCAR, Road Racing, Formula 1, etc.) in my (extra) spare time but it's been more and more displaced by AHII.

I'd always want to be able to go up in a WWII combat aircraft but wouldn't rule out WWI or jet fighter combat if they had the same adrenaline rush i get from this some times.

to all of you who have been around all of this time and to all of you newcomers and those yet to come and to our developers for making this the great addiction it has been for all of this time.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.