Author Topic: Do you love WW2 aircraft or do you just love online games?  (Read 1855 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Do you love WW2 aircraft or do you just love online games?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2007, 04:03:28 AM »
I love WWII planes, beer and women. Not necesserily in that order.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline RAIDER14

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2007, 04:15:11 AM »

both

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2007, 04:37:50 AM »
Aces High (1 and 2) is the only online game I've ever played. I only use my PS2 to watch DVDs with, I'm not that big of a gamer outside of AH. Always loved aviation and thats the only reason I play any online game at all.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2007, 04:46:43 AM »
I have been an aviation addict ...well...since around the age of 7 years old.
Saw John Wayne and the flying tigers and I was hooked.  Started building model airplanes at the age of 8.  Inhaling Testors Glue fumes explains the way I act now at 57;)   In the early 50s' when I grew up our area was a major steel producing center.  Our Airport also was an Air Force Base...it still is.  At that time we had F86s', then F102s' and F106s' based here along with what we called Flying Boxcars.

My Father would often take me to the airport just so I could watch them land and takeoff on a regular basis.  This was before Jet Airliners also.  Most of the major carriers of that time flew into Youngstown Ohio using DC3's (C47s) United Airlines, Capitol Airlines (Later Eastern).

I used to hold me ears as the engines revved at takeoff.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline xbrit

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2007, 06:28:58 AM »
Being born in England during the 50's and growing up in the 60's with parents that lived through the war telling me about how life was then I always had an interest in both aviation and WW2.
All I ever wanted to do during my school years was to enlist in the RAF and when I left school I followed my dream and spent 15 happy years travelling the world and meeting some of the best people you could ever wish to know.
During my free time in the RAF I used to travel around to airshows and museums, sometimes even being part of the airshow with the C-130 demo team or being on the support aircraft for the Red Arrows display team, this was better than being a visitor as I got to go behind the scenes and get close to these aircraft.
I didn't discover AW until 98 but then I was hooked and it's been only WW2 sims since then.

Offline mipoikel

• Gold Member
      • http://www.llv32.org
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2007, 07:10:20 AM »
Because of WW2 planes...

Other game I was hooked was Colin MCRae rally but I lost it somewhere...
I am a spy!

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2007, 07:17:13 AM »
I would fly WWI planes if there were a decent flight sim.  Red Baron 3D was one that I used to fly.  The better guns, higher speeds, and higher performance of WWII aircraft seem more popular than the slower, twin (or single) .30 calibre, slow climbing cloth and wood birds.  Saturation bombing wasn't available in WWI, so that's an issue affecting popularity as well.

Another drawback to the WWI planes is reliable data on aircraft performance. The tactics and maneuvers, however,  are the same for both era planes.  Bolke's dicta applies just as well to WWII aircraft as WWI.  

Jet aircraft are another option, but that doesn't work (from my experience) until someone comes up with a clever way to deal with internet lag.  Given the choice I'd go back to WWI Spad's, Albatro's, and Camel's.  But then, I'd prefer a "dogfight only" arena.

Regards,

Malta

Offline mrshiver

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2007, 07:31:32 AM »
When I was a kid I always dreamed of being a WWII fighter pilot, as I grew older RL made me realize it was never gonna happen.

My grandson got me interested in gaming when we bought him a playstation several years ago. Then I saw the commercial for AH on the military channel, and I was hooked.

I've tried FA, WB, and CFS, but nothing comes close to AH.

If they changed the game to jets, I'd leave, because nothing gives me as much of a rush as getting in close and personal with your opponent and duking it out.  As a result of the game I've also developed a deep interest in WWII aviation as well as a much deeper appreciation for what the Greatest Generation did for us.
Flying as shiverx

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2007, 07:35:44 AM »
Big WW2 aircraft buff, obviously the P-38 being the center of my attention.  I'm also a gamer and when I ran into a game about 13 years ago that let me indulge in both of my hobbies it was a no brainer.  I've probably played 100's of online games and MMO's and there were only two games I kept returning to over and over again, Air Warrior and Aces High.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2007, 09:16:15 AM »
Originally posted by Murdr
Vintage warbirds all the way.  Probably went from slightly interested to fanatic as soon as I discovered Airwarrior online.

Yup, I started with AW1 also--- if this were F16's against Mig 29's...I prolly wouldnt be interested
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline crockett

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2007, 11:52:14 AM »
I like the ww2 planes for the most part. Have always been a big fan of them.

Other than ww2 era planes I think the only others I'd be interrested in are the early jet fighter years. Like the Korean war era, simply because it was still a dog fighting style war.

I also enjoy more modern jets but not for an online sim.
"strafing"

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2007, 11:58:12 AM »
WWII planes for me.  It's a history, family, and heritage thing.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline shader

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2007, 12:21:32 PM »
When I was about 9 or 10 years old, I read the memoirs of Robert Stanford Tuck.
The dogfights described in that book, always kept me on the edge of my seat :).  I must have reread that book about a dozen times.  
I never seem to have lost interest in WWII planes and was very happy when I discovered this 2 years ago.
Although I'm a crappy cartoon plane pilot, I still have fun, met some great people and AH messes up my schedule.

shader
490th Battlin'Bulldogs

"We're a virus with shoes" - Bill Hicks

Offline airspro

• Silver Member
      • My Blastoff start page :P
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2007, 12:29:16 PM »
WW2 aviation history addict for about the last 40 years or so. AH just lets me pretend to be the guys I've read so much about and researched over the years.

Yep Guppy35 same here for me .

Flying offline was ok but first time I went online I was hooked .

After reading The blond Knight of Germany twice I really get into doing those attacks he speaks of :aok and the "coffee break" after .

Good stuff .

I also remember flying tinkertoy made airplanes around the living room , the wings were the green cardboad :lol  . Used string to twirl them around and around .
My current Ace's High handle is spro

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2007, 01:25:08 PM »
WWII aircraft have always been my biggest love even as a child. If there was no on-line WWII aircraft sim I'd still be playing bix sims, but once I started flying AW back in 92...................... I've been hooked , and will probably be hooked until I'm blind, broke or dead.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV