Author Topic: Do you love WW2 aircraft or do you just love online games?  (Read 1856 times)

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Do you love WW2 aircraft or do you just love online games?
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2007, 01:31:51 PM »
I had a friend who helped me build my computer come over and log onto this game called Unreal Tournament.  It was the first online game I had seen other than AH.  I immediately hated it!  AH is the only online game I have ever played!  I watched old Hwood movies about WW2 dogfighting and such as a kid and loved them.  Then Baa Baa Blacksheep came on in the late 70's and I was a fanatic about that show!  My dad retired from the FAA and I guess aviation was just something I grew up with.  I was just floored when I saw the commercial for AH on the discovery wings, I think it was, channel.   To be able to dogfight WW2 aircraft, albeit in sim world, is just a dream come true!:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline RAPIER

• Copper Member
Both
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2007, 01:32:28 PM »
I love WW11 history, for the effect it had on the world for all future generations, and love the AC that were used in the conflict.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2007, 01:44:17 PM »
Aviation history all the way.

For example -- a few years back, I got the best birthday present ever. My family drove down to Dayton, and took me to the US Air Force Museum...but they dropped me off and went to the mall, so I could spend all the time I wanted, without worrying about anyone else getting bored!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2007, 02:10:55 PM »
WWII.  I'm addicted to it in every way and have been studying it since 3rd grade.   I love everything about it and when I saw the commercial on the military ch... Here I am.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2007, 02:46:16 PM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
  My dad retired from the FAA

Your Dad was in the Fleet Air Arm?Cool...never detected a bit of accent in your voice in all this time.What he fly Harriers or them lynx helicopters??? hehheehehe  Muhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

History of the aircraft is where I started.I remember as a kid maybe 7 years old buildin these little snap-fit spitfires and 109s.I found the internet,Amazon.com and Air Warrior back in 98.Played that for a good couple years.Then I played Warbirds for a short bit.When AH went to 14.95 I landed here.I have piles of books and im always lookin for more.So ya its the chance to play a bit of history for me.

"A bandit at your six is better than no bandit at all"
Pipz
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline CpMorgan

• Zinc Member
Frustrated Wannabe
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2007, 03:41:42 PM »
As you might not realize, I've been addicted to WWII flight sims since AW as stated from my other post. However, you must understand I've been a fan of WWII planes since I was about 5-6 when I got my first gas powered P40. Ya know the ones that you flew in circles with the strings attached? Well, needless to say, due to my poor eyesight, I've never had the opportunity to qualify as an actual combat pilot. So I spent 6 years jumping outa the things. Then AW was the start. (Thanks Greyeagle) I've just gotten set up here after getting a system capable of handleing the graphics well enough.  I've bought and experianced the CFS 1,2,3 ect. but it always seemed "gamey" to me. This is where it's the best IMHO. But I'm probably just a re-incarnated WWII pilot with bad eyes this time around. :rofl

Offline asilvia

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2007, 09:12:39 PM »
WWII aviation all the way. Love gaming but to be able to get in a cockpit of a WWII fighter is awesome. My Grandfather was a F4-U mech during and after WWII and I think it came from him. I joined the Army to be in aviation (helicopters just couldnt do the AF thing)
Now if I could fly the F-86 Sabre that would be cool!!!

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2007, 11:03:16 PM »
I've been a long time aviation nut. Time period doesn't matter. If it flys I'm into it. I've had a ton of air combat and flight sim games and for the most part enjoy them all for one reason or anouther, but Aces High is the only one that has this type of community.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline Mustaine

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2007, 01:29:22 AM »
read hear my sort of answer....

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128177&highlight=started

to make a short version, never was "really" into flying, but got sucked into this community, and the "skill" of actually "flying"

i have no interest in quake, or some online FPS, those are boring to me, and i have never tried another online "game" (unless you count ogame) so i dont have alot of stuff to relate to on that topic, other than just no interest.

here it seems all about the community, and the other boards / communities i somewhat frequent are just a bunch of ankle-humper castrati to quote shane lol
Genetically engineered in a lab, and raised by wolverines -- ]V[ E G A D E T ]-[
AoM DFC ZLA BMF and a bunch of other acronyms.

Offline Obie303

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2007, 04:20:33 AM »
I've been collecting WW II aviation art since 2000.  My collection pretty much reached it's breaking point when I got to 35 prints (Taylor, Trudgian, Bailey, and a few others) and ran out of wall space.  

The history of that era of aviation has always fascinated me.  I guess I can blame it on the TV series, Baa Baa Black Sheep and the John Wayne movies when I was a kid.  

As far as playing AH2, that was by accident.  I was doing some research on-line and got re-directed to the HTC website.  After the two (2) week free trial, that was pretty much it.  Been crashing ever since!

Oh, and the wife thinks that having "posters" of dead guys on the wall is stupid.  

Obie
I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith.
(quote on a Polish pilot's grave marker in Nottinghamshire, England)

71 (Eagle) Squadron

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2007, 04:43:51 AM »
WWII aviation for sure.

Online games, or those tards that choose to be tards ingame, are just making me hate the internet more.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline TexInVa

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2007, 04:50:27 AM »
Well, I like online gaming, but AH really won me over with the realtime vox. If the game was a modern aircraft combat flight sim with the realtime vox and text, plus the huge community, I would probably play it.

But I would have to say that it's the game, too. I won't spend money on warcraft or final fantasy or anything like those. If they made a "NFS-Most Wanted" world that matches the game itself, I would probably drive there for the free membership. But I'm too old to hang out with the kids that would frequent it.

Given the option, I would probably fly jets. But this, so far, has been the best online experience I've ever had.

Offline 1cemanVS

• Copper Member
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2007, 05:00:09 AM »
for me its aviation in general, ACM etc. Sure if they changed to to jets, i would stick around, only if the community stayed in tacked however, as thats the second point for playing...

its the fact of my love for aviation, and the fact this is the best online air "sim" around regarding its community (choosing words carefully :lol ) that it doesnt matter too much about what craft is being flown.

from this game though i have picked up a love for ww2 aircraft, but they werent the primary reason for my seeking this game out.

aslong as the community stays big and bright, and there is still a clear "skill ladder", ill always stay around trying to get that bit better here and there...

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2007, 05:02:36 AM »
i dont care much about the planes i just like the game

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2007, 05:13:49 AM »
I don't know why, but as a kid, I dreamed of flying and wished I could have been a WWII fighter pilot.  Maybe it was the freedom flying represented along with WWII fighter combat being, to me, the pinnacle of air-to-air combat.  I read books about WWII air combat, which were great, got into building models, flying control-line gas airplanes, and flying private planes -- but none of them were WWII fighter combat.  To me, compared to my dream, even flying private planes eventually felt like a Sunday drive in a station wagon compared to a dream of off-road racing or like ice skating at the mall compared to playing ice hockey.

There were many years before there were such things as on-line games.  Then, in 1987-88, Air Warrior came along, and it was a dream come true.  THAT is what I really wanted:  flying in air-to-air combat against other human beings, and not just one on one, but the whole range.  Aces High makes all of that better, because the simulation is more realistic still.

Now, I have Aces High, and I still continue to be an enthusiast about WWII aviation history and about the aircraft.  I like other on-line games, but Aces High is by far my favorite and the most important to me.  I like the history AND I like the flying.