Author Topic: Do you love WW2 aircraft or do you just love online games?  (Read 1854 times)

Offline Swoop73

• Zinc Member
Do you love WW2 aircraft or do you just love online games?
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2007, 06:07:35 PM »
I've been into flying most of my life and always saw computer sims as the promised land for those of us who missed out on flying in the military.
But why AH? I've tried most sims since the TI99-4a days and then Atari 800XL's with the first Falcon....Always major flaws...and finally, Aces High. Yes I too saw the commercial on the Military Channel and it draged me out of a 4 year love affair with Falcon 4.0. Never went back. Best flight model in many ways.  Been a pilot all my adult life but AH made me a WWII student. I got to make great friends and not just meet but actually get to know WWII Aces. Learned things not in the history books.

Of all the sims, AH is the one I never get tired of. Faults? Problems? Issues? Of course, but not many. A wonderful work in progress.

Swoop73
"Had to...Had to keep 'em from the bombers"
325th Ace Art Fiedler on why he and 3 other Checkertails
charged into 40 FW 190's over Regensburg, Germany in Jan., 1945.

Offline sonic23

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2007, 06:30:38 PM »
Teliing the truth i didnt know anything about WW2 aircrafts i only registered to this game because i wanted to play an online flight simulator. Then i became addicted to this game and became fascinated by WW2 aviation.
I also got pretty good in dogfighting too.

New name for now is Sonic22
Sonic23 ++Blue Knights++
Sonic27 -==Hell Hounds==-

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2007, 06:31:49 PM »
<<<------WW2 aviation junkie  ;)
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline Gianlupo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2007, 07:37:24 PM »
I'm an aviation addict and proud of it! :) Then, I'm also a videogame addict... so I guess AH was written in my fate! ;)
Live to fly, fly to live!

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2007, 09:47:04 PM »
thank you everyone, its megadud an sonic im most interested in, or anyone else who is more into lots of games online and plays AH.

how would you two say the whole AH2 experience is compared to the alot of other online games and forums?

have you ever found a game conception so refined as to please avid simmers and lovers of the genre, and yet still able to please those that dont care if its planes, motor cars or dancing turles as long as its a good game?
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2007, 02:33:43 AM »
Ive always been a aviation and gaming geek... cant remember which came first as bout came to me in the early 80s... since then Ive always been playing alot of games but mostly flight and space sims...

Its been a natural mix of my two hobbies...

I do play other games online but never just point and click games... have to be player skill based games and preferably ones that evolve around some sort of craft that is used for combat...

Tex

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2007, 03:28:29 AM »
Originally posted by B@tfinkV
thank you everyone, its megadud an sonic im most interested in, or anyone else who is more into lots of games online and plays AH.

how would you two say the whole AH2 experience is compared to the alot of other online games and forums?

have you ever found a game conception so refined as to please avid simmers and lovers of the genre, and yet still able to please those that dont care if its planes, motor cars or dancing turles as long as its a good game?

well you see, this is the only game i play. I didnt care about planes but i enjoyed the game and the banter on 200. I started learning abut the planes and grew more interested. so now i like the planes.

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2007, 06:58:35 AM »
WWII A/C addict, if the game changes to modern jets, I'm gone ;)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 08:39:31 AM by straffo »

Offline volvo744

• Zinc Member
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2007, 08:46:40 AM »
I only play because it is better than any of the Combat Flight Simulator games I tried, though thanks to the community here, specifically Ghosth, I learned how to set my joystick up far better than it had been, but I idn't like it online. I like this planeset, the charachteristics (and the charachters ;) )
I have never had any interest in any other online game, and have actually retired all my other computer games, even SHIII, though adding some U-boats (in bomber formation even) here would absolutely rock

HiTech and AHII community

1bob

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2007, 07:44:26 PM »
Originally posted by megadud
well you see, this is the only game i play. I didnt care about planes but i enjoyed the game and the banter on 200. I started learning abut the planes and grew more interested. so now i like the planes.

ah, like a moth sucked into teh very flame that burnt the rest of us then :)
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Apar

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2007, 08:46:06 PM »
Originally posted by straffo
check this Apar : http://www.minuscule.tv/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs2Ml1zgc88

Fun films Straffo :D

Offline llama

• Silver Member
      • http://www.warrenernst.com/
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2007, 02:13:02 AM »
I got sucked into the Corfirmed Kill beta (which then turned into Warbirds) in May 1995 ONLY because it was pretty much the only massively online game there was at the time that I knew about on the Internet at large.

I hated aircraft and "flying games" in general. I didn't know a single thing about WWII aviation, or really any aviation of any era at the time. I lived for X-Wing Fighter, Wing Commander, Elite, and Privateer. Notice that there's absolutely nothing resembling "real flight dynamics" in those games. (But they all did help help with gunnery - which always just came naturally anyway.)

Then I found Confirmed Kill. All I knew is that there were a sky full of potential targets and wingmen THAT WERE ALL REAL PEOPLE. These weren't programmed AI pilots, like the hoardes of robots in "Robotron 2084." These other planes "thought back."

The world opened up.

So I had the triple-disadvantage of learning what the planes were ("What's a 'Spitfire?'"), the principles of flight ("Drag? Thrust? Lift? Angle of Atttack? Stall?"), and then ACM ("How did that guy get behind me so quickly?")

It took about a year before I stopped being the worst pilot up there (though I occasionally made some pretty good shots), and another year before I really got to like flight, aeronautics, and ACM theory, and then it just "clicked." I can actually still remember the situation when I rolled over a furball, looking "up" through the canopy at all the dots and planes below me, and thought to myself how it all looked like a Chess game, and what my next move should be. I was forever hooked.

I came to love WWII Aviation and aviation in general over the past 12 years, but for me, Aces High, Warbirds, and those betas before them have always been the human relationships and the human competition that these games bring together.

-Llama

Interesting server at 69.12.181.171

Offline ColKLink

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2007, 02:48:59 PM »
I used to get scolded by the grade school teachers for my attraction to ww2 history, airplanes and the lot. I would check out "time life" pictorial books , instead of  cat in the hat, ...and id get in trouble. I'm a real ww2 junky.
Live each day like it's your last, and one day, you will be right.---- rush 2112,--->" and the sheep shall inherit the earth"......

Offline Dace

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2007, 06:53:47 PM »
WWI and WWII (especially the Air War) have been interests of mine as far back as I can remember. It all spawns from my dads interest in the subject. He always had lots of books and was always playin' board games such as Axis & Allies, Squad Leader, Blue Max and the like. I can remember begging him to "let me play" when I was real little and him saying "read this book front to back and I'll teach you how to play." When I was about 12, I finally sat down long enough to read one of those books "Fighting the Flying Circus" by Eddie Rickenbacker. That turned out to be a double bonus because I was hooked on reading and finally Dad would teach me to play one of his games! He taught me to play Blue Max first and eventually I learned to play them all.  When I found this game some 4 years ago and got hooked, I payed him back and got him hooked and he's played ever since.:D