Author Topic: Sandman  (Read 961 times)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Sandman
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 11:06:11 AM »
Originally posted by Suave
If you're going to spend that much money, why don't you just get the real thing?

A Land Rover Defender is easily twice as expensive as a Toyota FJ.
sand

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Sandman
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 11:18:47 AM »
Originally posted by Slash27
Dont care very much for the paint scheme but that is pretty sweet. They all have white tops correct?

I think they all have white tops, but not all have that white panel on the side.
sand

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Sandman
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 01:06:38 PM »
This  is not the way to drive an FJ.
sand

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Sandman
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 01:28:07 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
This  is not the way to drive an FJ.

Not cool.  I bet that guy feels like an idiot.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Re: Sandman
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 01:37:49 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I'm going to test drive one of these tomorrow...

Depending on the trade in value they give me, I might be a new owner as well....

I had a chance to spend 20 minutes checking one out offroad earlier in the week....fell in love.

I just want you to know that the car you are looking at is quite possibly the ugliest car ever.  Far surpassing anything gremlin could put out.  But where gremlin's ugliness passes into hilarity, that thing does not.  It's just painful to look at.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Sandman
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 01:44:43 PM »
Rip, I think that what Laser meant to say was, "I reject your reality and substitute my own."
sand

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Sandman
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2007, 01:50:16 PM »
Originally posted by sluggish
Not cool.  I bet that guy feels like an idiot.

I've been browsing through the site that hosted that video. It's lots of the same sort of driving. The guy has three things going wrong for him in most (if not all) of the videos. Wrong tires, heavy pedal, and he's wheeling with the wrong people. The FJ (and the Xterra for that matter) are not in the same class as Jeeps and Land Cruisers. The vehicle cannot do the things that they can do. Trying to push it past its envelope just results in damage.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 01:52:29 PM by Sandman »
sand

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
Sandman
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2007, 02:45:48 PM »
Landrover defender 90 is about 20-40k depending on year and miles.

Unless you're talking about buying a brand new one and having it shipped from over seas. Shouldn't buy brand new anyway, let some other sucker take that hit first.

The old FJ40s were seriously usefull 4x4s. At first glance the looks of the new FJ make me skeptical, it really looks like they're targeting the SUV consumer.

I just can't picture that vehicle beating around africa loaded with UN or NGO personell or game wardens or something.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Sandman
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2007, 05:07:52 PM »
Sandy,
Totally agree with your assessments about "the right tool for the right job". You have to know the limits of your vehicle, and if you don't have some after-market suspension parts, you're probably gonna break something if you go outside that circle of what your vehicle is capable of. I learned the hard way with my 1976 International Scout.

Incidently, here is the update:
I test drove one (again, this time on road, not offroad like my buddies rig) and the thing is pretty peppy. The advertised 0-60 was 7.6 seconds but it felt MUCH quicker than that to me. Doing 70 mph felt like 50 mph. Very smooth ride.

The dealer wouldn't give me close to even a fair dealer trade in for my BMW. I put it up for sale in Craigs list, and I have two people interested within 4 hours of posting. One is coming out Tue to look at the car.

If I sell it within 7 days, I'll order the FJ Cruiser (or have a dealer find one within the area from other dealerships that matches the customized vehicle I want)  If I don't sell the BMW, I'll just keep it for another 88,000 miles.

Oh, and I would prefer a stick but the wife whine rating was 9.5 (she can drive a stick, but prefers auto) so I succumbed to deciding on an automatic. I really like the fact that you can lock in the rear differential when in 4WD.(basically, posi-traction)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 05:17:29 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Sandman
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2007, 05:13:24 PM »
Originally posted by Suave
If you're going to spend that much money, why don't you just get the real thing?

I'm only spending $12,000 for the new rig (after the difference from what I expect to get for the BMW)  What you're talkking about is a $60k+ vehicle with that Landrover!:eek:
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 05:46:01 PM by Ripsnort »

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Sandman
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2007, 05:18:50 PM »
No way do you get anything for 1200.
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Sandman
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2007, 05:46:17 PM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
No way do you get anything for 1200.

Fixed. :)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Sandman
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2007, 06:23:27 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I'm only spending $12,000 for the new rig (after the difference from what I expect to get for the BMW)  What you're talkking about is a $60k+ vehicle with that Landrover!:eek:

Is it by chance, yellow?

If not, take it back.

:D
sand

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Sandman
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2007, 06:26:32 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Is it by chance, yellow?

If not, take it back.

:D

"Sun Fusion" is my choice.:aok   I absolutely HATE yellow (or "Sun Fusion" in this case) except when it comes to 4WD vehicles.  Just a personality quirk. :)

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Sandman
« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2007, 06:29:59 PM »
A most excellent choice. :)
sand