Author Topic: Lock-ups  (Read 550 times)

Offline Vila

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flyingpigs.com
Lock-ups
« on: March 25, 2001, 06:01:00 PM »
Ever since the last patch, I get lock-ups in AH now... a LOT.

It always happens when switching views.. all resolutions.

Running PIII 800, Voodoo 5 5500 (latest official drivers), DX 8.0a, 256 MB of RAM.  

I only have this problem in AH and only since last patch.

I did re-D/L the entre base prog (since my old version was patched), but still have the same problem.

Any ideas?

------------------
Vila <Flying Pigs>
Oink! Oink! To War!

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Lock-ups
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2001, 07:51:00 AM »
Just wondering if disabling RW solved it for you.  I know you ran a while last night OK, but I don't know if that "did it" or not.  

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline Vila

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.flyingpigs.com
Lock-ups
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2001, 03:31:00 PM »
It seems to have solved it, but I will experiment a little.  I hope I can find some way of running RW though... I like to use it.

My main problem LAST night was good old-fashioned discos.  

------------------
Vila <Flying Pigs>
Oink! Oink! To War!

VonSmrek

Lock-ups
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2001, 03:27:00 PM »

Originally posted by Lephturn:
Just wondering if disabling RW solved it for you.  I know you ran a while last night OK, but I don't know if that "did it" or not.  

greetings

im having the same prob...
what is RW and how do i disable it??

game locks up in all resolutions and seems to happen while changing views...

athlon 600  512MB  64 MB ddr geforce
directX 8.0a  new detonator drivers  and updated bios

sounds like disabling RW  mite help  if i knew what it was

thanx in advance for your help

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
Lock-ups
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2001, 04:31:00 PM »
I've replied via email.

FYI, "RW" is Roger Wilco, a popular voice communication program that is somewhat integrated into AH.  Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work very well with Direct X 8.0, and has been causing some problems.

------------------

Offline MrLars

• Silver Member
Lock-ups
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2001, 06:30:00 PM »
RW and Dx8 works fine if you set RW to WAVE RECORDING. Been using it for a few months w/o any probs.

Lars

------------------
Lars
***MOL***
Men Of Leisure

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Lock-ups
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2001, 02:44:00 AM »
  I think there is a problem with the
GeForce-Athlon-Aces High combo.  I have lockups, but only in aces high.  Had to put the
voodoo 3 back in.  WOnder if the Aces High
techies can figure this one out?  :-)

Offline Goner

• Copper Member
Lock-ups
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2001, 04:17:00 AM »
I think there is a problem with the
GeForce-Athlon-Aces High combo.  I have lockups, but only in aces high.

same here ; see the 'hardware & software' board, thread 'possible solution for crashes ...' for possible solutions ;-)

Goner

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
Lock-ups
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2001, 08:11:00 AM »
Even using Wav recording, RW can still cause problems for some folks.

Normally the Geforce/Athlon/AH combination problem can be solved, there are just a lot of possible solutions.  Big ones are:

1.  Lack of power.  If you don't have a good quality 300 Watt power supply at LEAST, you are going to have problems.

2.  Video BIOS cacheing / shadowing.  Disable this stuff in BIOS setup.  Also some folks have had success by modifying the AGP driving control number, but I would try this one last.

3.  nVidia driver of the week.  Sometimes trying a different driver version will fix some problems.  If you ever get a driver version that works right, DON'T UPDATE IT.

There are more of course, but these are the basics.

------------------

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Lock-ups
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2001, 05:14:00 PM »
I have an Asus a7v MB and Asus v7700 deluxe video card.  (GF 2 GTS and VIA Kt133 chipset for Athlon Tbird)  I have no problems whatsoever in any application or game that I've tried so far.

Here it is, my general video problem solution guide:  

1. On VIA chipsets MAKE sure you update your AGP driver.  Go to www.viahardware.com  and then download and install the newest AGP driver.  Don't bother with the other 3 drivers.  There are 2 modes to install in: turbo and normal.  Normal mode basically limits you to AGP 1x.  If you pick this you should probably be 100% stable, but performance will suffer.  The better option is to install in turbo mode.  If you experience lockups, limit Agp speed to 2x.  You usually can do this in the bios.

2. You NEED a 300W power supply, and a good one at that, if you plan on running a Geforce card.  You also need to be sure that your system is not overheating.  AH can put a heavy load on a system and temperatures must be kept under control to prevent a lockup.  Make sure you have proper ventilation for your system.  You may be able to isolate heat related problems by running the system with the case off and a fan blowing into the case.  If the lockups cease you have found your problem, add some fans.

3.  IMO if you are using DX7a under Windows 9x (95, 98, ME), then going to DX 8 or 8a is likely to create more problems than it fixes.  If you have Win 2000, then Dx 8a is the best.  (DX 8 WILL break RW, you will have to set it to WAV recording to get it to work again.)

4.  Update your sound and video card drivers to the newest OFFICIAL versions if you are having problems.  If you find one that works, why update it??? My experiences are that the 6.31 driver works well for DX7 systems and that DX 8 will cause the tearing.  If you have Dx 8, then try the 7.5x versions or the newest 11.01s if you are daring.  (New detonators are usually at www.reactorcritical.com  )  Before trying the detonators I would recommend using the newest driver from your video card maker.  Often times the video card maker will spend the extra time to support extra features like TV out etc.

4.  Check to make sure interupts aren't being shared between your video card, sound card, and modem.  Also, never put a sound card in the PCI slot below your AGP slot for your video card.  99.9% of MBs will share the IRQ between these 2 slots.  This WILL result in problems.

5.  Stuttering problems on Voodoo cards are almost always related to the connection icon on the taskbar for modem users.  Try removing it: my computer-> dialup networking -> connections menu -> settings -> uncheck the "show icon when connected ... "
I've found that ATI cards and even some Nvidia cards also benefit from this.

6.  ATI video card users:  Except for the Radeon drivers, almost ALL ATI driver revisions in the last 6 months have been full of bugs.  I would avoid buying ATI video cards with the exception of the Radeon, which is OK IMO.  Nearly all ATI video card users will get text tearing problems in the chat buffer.  This is something to be aware of.

7.  Make sure windows is up to date.  Go to www.windowsupdate.com  .

8.  Voodoo 3 and below cards CAN NOT do 32 bit color.  They will lockup if you try.  Delete the video.cfg file in the Aces High settings directory and pick 16 bit the next time you start AH.

------------------
bloom25
-MAW-
(Formerly of the)
THUNDERBIRDS