Author Topic: high speed satellite internet service  (Read 604 times)

Offline wes34th

• Copper Member
high speed satellite internet service
« on: January 07, 2007, 02:52:21 PM »
Does anyone have high speed satellite service?How does it do playing Aces?Satellite service is my only option out here in the boonies besides dial up:( Also, if you don't have satellite service does anyone know if any issues could be created using a satellite for the internet?I have heard that satellites should not be used for internet "twitch" games?What are twitch games and why would there be a problem.HELP!!

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 03:00:35 PM »
Wes,

I use satelite internet. I also install the Hughes system for RV'ers. The short answer is that the satelite systems are unplayable for any real time game. The lag time is upwards of 2 seconds. Ive tested it on America's Army as well as other games. Sorry but it just won't work for games. It has nothing to do with the speed of the modem either. It's all related to the fact that the signal is going through the buffers at multiple areas before it heads down the regular internet lines.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 03:07:56 PM »
what Maverick said, i use Skydsl (Internet via satellite),
the lag is to big for online playing. But its ok for surfing
the web and great for downloads, (ie: up to 600mb in 2minutes)
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 03:16:08 PM »
Remember, the satellites are 22,000+ miles away.  Signal has to go all the way out and all the way back in to a hub, then from there to your other computer (which could be anywhere in the world).
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 03:51:48 PM »
use it to surf, but get a dial up to fly
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 06:02:00 PM »
this is the only online game I know which is playable with dialup--I get smooth 180ms or so---I suspect it makes Ostis and severe angle snapshots harder to hit, but ok aside from that
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 08:10:54 PM »
One of the guys from work visited friends wh have HughesNet satellite.  His pings were up to 1200ms.  Hughes also has a habbit of throttling your connection down to 28.8 even if you havent exceeded their bandwidth limits.  He was floored.

I thought Dish Network had a service...?

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 08:18:58 PM »
Dish network is TV only.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 01:45:02 AM »
i worked on one of these last summer.
high pings were noticable even just surfing.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 08:33:38 AM »
Originally posted by LePaul
I thought Dish Network had a service...?

You're thinking of DirectPC. I don't know if they even do the service anymore. It was good speeds down, modem speeds up, not particular great for anything but browsing.

You could also cook eggs on the internal pc cards they originally issued... if you were lucky. If you were unlucky, it simply burst into flames inside your PC.