Author Topic: I-Phone demonstration  (Read 633 times)

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
I-Phone demonstration
« on: January 14, 2007, 04:02:33 PM »
Check out the I-Phone demonstration, NO B.S.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YgW7or1TuFk

Many people here are still not convinced with I-Phone's capabilities.  My friends...  Apple just started a revolution!

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 04:18:59 PM »
Awesome.

It will be mine.

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 04:20:50 PM »
Yes, the new I-Phone is very different from what I'm expecting.

:D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 05:18:01 PM by 1K3 »

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 04:44:53 PM »
It probably won't be called the Iphone, as Apple is about to be sued over the product (I think it's only about the name)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 05:00:50 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
Check out the I-Phone demonstration, NO B.S.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=YgW7or1TuFk

Many people here are still not convinced with I-Phone's capabilities.  My friends...  Apple just started a revolution!

OK lets work through the demo features:
Dial Touch Pad: had it since my original Treo 180 - 7 (?) years ago
Sync: had it since my original Palm 10 (?) years ago
Call Contacts: had it since my original Treo 180 again.  Plus I can type in initials, parts of names, click on links  from my calender, notes, sms, and emails to call a person. Oh and voice-dialing too :)  (3 year old feature)
Visual Voice Mail: new feature. However this is a carrier feature, no doubt rolling out to all modern handsets.
MP3 Player: had it since my Treo 600 3-4 (?) years ago (Treo 270 could do it but had no SD slot so I won't count that)
Sensor Turning: other products have done this for some time. Nice but nothing ground breaking.
Read Mail: had this since my Treo 180 once again. About 3 years ago I started using Push Email (like on the Blackberry). Note apple only mention imap and pop so I assume there is no exchange integration.
Browser: had this since my Treo 180 once again.
Photo's: had this since my Treo 180 once again, although that was greyscale so maybe my 6 year old Treo 270 would be appropriate.

Wow, apple has released a phone that who's major features I would consider to be 3-7 year old 'standard' features on any smartphone.

What was that about a revolution.

I'm not knocking the device. It is pretty, it is nice. But this "most advanced..." and "revolutionary" is BS.  For some of us it is old hat. It goes to show what a sheltered life a lot of mac users live in to be unaware of what the rest of the world has been up too.

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 05:07:24 PM »
The UI does look cleverly designed, but the touchscreen interface and image rotation are the only new things. It's not the most advanced phone in the world. I suppose it depends on how big your world is. I've been able to do everything that device does, and much more, for years now. Shoot, our 3G system is being upgraded half a generation already to 100Mbps (symmetrical) for viewing HDTV. Terrestrial TV is already available. I'll stop now before you get angry at me... ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 05:27:15 PM by Rolex »

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Re: Re: I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 05:30:46 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
OK lets work through the demo features:
Dial Touch Pad: had it since my original Treo 180 - 7 (?) years ago
Sync: had it since my original Palm 10 (?) years ago
Call Contacts: had it since my original Treo 180 again.  Plus I can type in initials, parts of names, click on links  from my calender, notes, sms, and emails to call a person. Oh and voice-dialing too :)  (3 year old feature)
Visual Voice Mail: new feature. However this is a carrier feature, no doubt rolling out to all modern handsets.
MP3 Player: had it since my Treo 600 3-4 (?) years ago (Treo 270 could do it but had no SD slot so I won't count that)
Sensor Turning: other products have done this for some time. Nice but nothing ground breaking.
Read Mail: had this since my Treo 180 once again. About 3 years ago I started using Push Email (like on the Blackberry). Note apple only mention imap and pop so I assume there is no exchange integration.
Browser: had this since my Treo 180 once again.
Photo's: had this since my Treo 180 once again, although that was greyscale so maybe my 6 year old Treo 270 would be appropriate.

Wow, apple has released a phone that who's major features I would consider to be 3-7 year old 'standard' features on any smartphone.

What was that about a revolution.

I'm not knocking the device. It is pretty, it is nice. But this "most advanced..." and "revolutionary" is BS.  For some of us it is old hat. It goes to show what a sheltered life a lot of mac users live in to be unaware of what the rest of the world has been up too.

I'm not saying iPhone is the world's advanced cellphone.  It is the Apple's killer U.I. that's driving their sales up.

I bet you had to read a 300 page booklet on how to operate your Treo:D

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 05:40:10 PM »
Originally posted by Rolex
The UI does look cleverly designed, but the touchscreen interface and image rotation are the only new things. It's not the most advanced phone in the world. I suppose it depends on how big your world is. I've been able to do everything that device does, and much more, for years now. Shoot, our 3G system is being upgraded half a generation already to 100Mbps (symmetrical) for viewing HDTV. Terrestrial TV is already available. I'll stop now before you get angry at me... ;)

>

Korea is beating at  your own game too, Korea is ready to roll out 4G:D

Sadly the iPhone will only operate at a 2G network :(
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 05:43:50 PM by 1K3 »

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 05:51:19 PM »
a toy for the starbucks crowd to play with wile they sip their $5 latte.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 06:20:22 PM »
I'm one of the few that has no interest in integrated gadgets.

I have a digital camera.
I have a gpsr.
I have an mp3 player.
I have a cellphone.

I don't want them all combined into one sleek and incredibly fragile looking device.
sand

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 06:37:27 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
I'm one of the few that has no interest in integrated gadgets.

I have a digital camera.
I have a gpsr.
I have an mp3 player.
I have a cellphone.

I don't want them all combined into one sleek and incredibly fragile looking device.

odd, i have no interest in any of those...

i have a 35mm camera, its frikken great. i dont have the need to take photographs of every random thing that happens in a day.
i have a map, a good sense of direction, and a sense of adventure.
i have a portable cd player, that plays the few mp3 cds i have...
i do have a cellphone, but i never use it.

and 1k3, get over the asian thing already, there not that great.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 07:08:02 PM »
Originally posted by vorticon
odd, i have no interest in any of those...

i have a 35mm camera, its frikken great. i dont have the need to take photographs of every random thing that happens in a day.
i have a map, a good sense of direction, and a sense of adventure.
i have a portable cd player, that plays the few mp3 cds i have...
i do have a cellphone, but i never use it.

and 1k3, get over the asian thing already, there not that great.

In short, you have no need for an iPhone.
sand

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2007, 07:12:43 PM »
Behold the power of hype.
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2007, 07:14:20 PM »
Originally posted by DiabloTX
Behold the power of hype.

Behold the power of independent thought.

:D
sand

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 07:15:23 PM »
Originally posted by 1K3
I'm not saying iPhone is the world's advanced cellphone.  It is the Apple's killer U.I. that's driving their sales up.

I bet you had to read a 300 page booklet on how to operate your Treo:D

Err no. You've never used a Treo have you? I can't remember reading the manual bar finding out what some of the functions on a couple of special keys are.  The interface is very intuitive and easy to use.  The Treo variation of PalmOS is orientated to 'one-hand-use' - making cellphone use, among other things very easy. Most Palm apps have followed suit.

Despite having a touch screen the 4 way navigator and keyboard are much more intuitive (tactile feedback makes a huge difference on a phone). Have an on screen interface is nothing new, the old Treo 180s/270s had that. But most people end up preferring REAL keys and REAL buttons because of the feedback.

So Treo has the killer UI. But why doesn't Treo dominate smartphone sales? Easy... people want integration with M$ server platforms, ie exchange. Now PalmOS does that, but its just easier to go PocketPC for most buyers. Out of the box I doubt apples device will have any integration, theres no mention of its sync'ing capabilities say to outlook even. That could make it a very very limited device (You do realize most ipod sales are to Windows PC owners, not mac owners? )

Driving what sales up? It is not available until June. Meanwhile Apple are advertising a bucketload of jobs for their phone division. Makes you wonder how ready to market the product is.