Author Topic: I-Phone demonstration  (Read 634 times)

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2007, 07:17:28 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
Behold the power of independent thought.

:D

:aok
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2007, 07:17:43 PM »
Apple saw the writing on the wall. Cellphones have continued to integrate other devices and cellphones were well on their way to being the only true challenge to Apple's dominance in the MP3 player market.
sand

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 02:37:25 AM »
That touch screen will start to lose popularity the first time someone tries to place a call with peanutbutter in their fingers or at work.

Even people with normal greasy skin will leave the screen full of marks. So it will be looking messy and require nannying at use not to damage the fragile screen with too hard pressing. It would also be interesting to see how useable it is at -30C temperature where lcd screens literally freeze up and give almost zero feedback on what youre doing. :rolleyes:

I think that once the hype is done with and people try to actually use one the word will go around not to get one.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2007, 02:57:46 AM »
Originally posted by john9001
a toy for the starbucks crowd to play with wile they sip their $5 latte.

sounds good to me :aok

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2007, 03:51:25 AM »
Now THIS is a good iphone commercial. Gotta love Conan O'Brien

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xXNoB3t8vM&eurl=

Offline DiabloTX

• Plutonium Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2007, 03:56:59 AM »
hand grenade and prophylactic!!! LMAO!!!

:rofl
"There ain't no revolution, only evolution, but every time I'm in Denmark I eat a danish for peace." - Diablo

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2007, 08:34:02 AM »
I love this guy-

Stephen Colbert

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2007, 10:14:16 AM »
Sooo, you have to have a dedicated pocket, lined with cotton in order to carry it around?  

Uh,..or do you have to buy a shell to protect the touchscreen?  Uhmm,..something else to fumble with when you get a call.

How to you carry it around without damaging the touchscreen?  And, good luck making a phone call when you need to be focused on something else.  I can flip opne my phone, press a button to make a call and never have to look at my phone.

This seems to be a toy for those who have more money than sense.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline BansheCH

• Nickel Member
      • CM SnapShot Team
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 10:18:26 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
 I can flip opne my phone, press a button to make a call and never have to look at my phone.

PFFFFT!! I just press a button on my bluetooth and say your name and the call is otw. I don't even have to touch my phone.
-BansheCH
~364TH FG CHAWKS~
AcesHigh Special Events

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 10:39:34 AM »
I can also tell my phone who to call, if the ambient noise levels are low.  But, as an example, if I want to call someone from my car and I happen to be going over a rough road, I have to manually touch a button.

I can do this without looking at the phone.  And it is not blue or even yellow toothed.  :)
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 10:57:23 AM »
Car?  What kind of person needs a car with all those fast moving parts that can break and need gasoline and batteries and all that fancy stuff?  

Why not just use a bicycle?

Things a car does that a bicycle can do too:

* Drive on roads - Bicycles did this for years before the first car was built.
* Drive on dirt - same thing, nothing revolutionary here
* Drive far - People have ridden bicycles from one side of the country to the other, again, nothing new.
* Carry stuff - Bicycles can tow trailers, helloooo
* Music - Your car has a stereo?  Well, when I ride my bicycle I can just sing.  All the music I want.

Additionally, my bicycle doesn't have a "wind shield" that can get all cracked or dinged by gravel thrown up by other bicycles.  

I'm just not convinced.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 11:01:33 AM »
Ok, that is pretty weak Chairboy.  According to your sarcastic analogy, the car cannot do anything better than the bicycle.  And that is just wrong.  There are far many more practical things the car does better than a bicycle.

Care to answer my question about how you can carry this thing around and not destroy it?  Touchscreen panels are not bulletproof and quite easily destroyed.

Absolutely no one has said why this thing is practical.  Or how it can do things better than the things it is replacing.  Nilsens comment about it being a fun toy seems tobe the only one that makes sense.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 11:04:03 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 11:07:45 AM »
I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, just making a silly reductio ad absurdum.  I don't know about the iPhone anymore, I'm going to wait and let other folks try it out first to see if it's worth it or not.  My 'fan boi' status is firmly in check now that the breathless "zomg!" post-announcement hype is over.

Regarding touchscreens, I don't see anything magical needed for it to work.  The iPods have gotten pretty good recently in the anti-scratch arena for their screens, and they get man-handled quite a bit.  I've had a bunch of Palm devices with touchscreens, and I carried them in my pocket without any trouble.  I just don't see this as being a big problem, my concerns are about other areas (locking out external software, what kind of data plans will Cingular require, etc).
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Absolutely no one has said why this thing is practical.  Or how it can do things better than the things it is replacing.  Nilsens comment about it being a fun toy seems tobe the only one that makes sense.

It's not practical. At all. Here's a snippet from the ongoing conversation about it on my WoW guild forums.

Now, after all that flash and hype, we get to see what the phone really is:  Locked with Cingular, no SDK ever, no 3G, no MS Exchange, Yahoo mail only, no wireless downloadable content (which the Sandisk Sansa currently is able to do), iTunes only content/podcasts, no replaceable battery (it's sealed..gg), undisclosed idle battery life, badly reviewed text messaging input method, 500-600$ with two year contract, $50 a month minimum voice contract, $30 a month for wifi-EDGE access, no iChat, 15 cent SMS charges...

Thing's aren't looking so rosey anymore.  It looks cool as hell, but I'm not sure it's worth the money at this point.  $600 for the iPhone..err ApplePhone + 24 x (50 + 30) = $600 + $1920 = $2520 for an iPhone with typical 2 year contract with Cingular.

Personally for me, the no 3rd party apps is looking to be a deal breaker for me.

So Apple fanboys, what say you?

note, the Apple fanboys have yet to respond.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
I-Phone demonstration
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 01:42:12 PM »
WTF? No 3rd party apps? I thought it ran OS X?