Author Topic: Over the nose view  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
Over the nose view
« on: January 18, 2007, 05:31:01 PM »
Originally posted by Condor in another thread
What is the value of the "optimum over the nose view" in close combat?

Take a look at this screenshot:

It shows the default center view in my SMk8 and the "over the nose" view i set up on my hatswitch forward view. To achieve it, i move the head all the way to the left, up and back. This allows for maximum visibility forward. Note that the T34 drone is not visible in the default view.

Why not to the right you ask? That would work as well, as it is just the mirror image of the left position. And actually, in some situations, like when landing on a CV (with the tower on the right hand side) it might even be better. But I also use this view in combat a lot - and due to the fact that most planes in the AH set have a clockwise rotating prop and thus turn better (and more often!) to the left i have it set to that side. More on that later.

This is the answer I gave to Condor initially:

Imagine youre tracking someone in a left hand turn... start pulling lead and hell quickly dissappear under your nose. Now use your "over the nose" view (set all the way up and to the left) and hold your nose a little above your opponent in the turn. You can now easily track him under your cowling (and having the nose a little high also gains you some E) untill you have the correct amount of lead. Then you just need to lower the nose a bit and boom.

Lets start with taking a look at a very common situation:

What am I supposed to see in this shot you say? Well, thats the reason why I have a forward view set. Under my nose in that screenshot is a Spit that im trying to shoot while we are both in a left hand turn. To be able to get my bullets on target, i needed to pull lead on him and that caused him to dissappear under my cowling.

This is the very same screenshot but with the over the nose view in place. I took both shots off the film viewer, at the exact same moment.

The advantages: I have a tally on my opponent and can judge the neccessary lead easier, since I do not have to guess where he is. I know it. Also, the Spit cannot surprise me with a roll and break to the right while im setting up my shot as I would see that immediatly.

Now you can also see why the view to the left is more advantageous in this situation. I actually still have to keep my nose a little above his turn (to the right!) to be able to see him. If I was looking out the right side of my plane, i would have to keep my nose *below* his turn to still keep him visible - I would gain speed and eventually overshoot.

For the actual pulling of the trigger, ill go back to the default view direction and let my nose just "drop" the slight bit untill it is in the correct shooting position in front of the bandit.

The view has a few other advantages, for example when landing on a carrier (or even a base) as it is easier to keep a bearing on the runway. Also note that some planes have a better visibility over the cowling then others.

Thanks to AKRaven for flying circle after circle in his Spitfire for me.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 05:38:42 PM by Schatzi »
21 is only half the truth.

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
Over the nose view
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 05:52:03 PM »
That's sweet and all, but how do you set it up to go to that view?

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
Over the nose view
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 05:55:12 PM »
also if u place the mouse pointer on the center dot of your gunsite u can use that as an aiming reference when using an "other than default"  view ;) works with osti's and gunner positions aswell.
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Over the nose view
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 06:01:33 PM »
Originally posted by Bubbajj
That's sweet and all, but how do you set it up to go to that view?

Its the look forward position of the hatswitch. Or if youre using keypad for views, its the 8 key. Adjust the head position on the forward view with arrow left (left) arrow down (back) and page up (up) - when youre done F10 to save the head position.

Offline Blagard

• Nickel Member
Over the nose view
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 06:07:27 PM »
As the default forward view needs no input from you, that's one view sorted. On most view switches in addition to having the side and rear views you have one forward. What you do is hold the forward view on the hat switch while you move the head into the right position using the arrow keys and pg up and pg down keys. Once you have that special forward view just press F10 to save it.

When you release the forward hat switch you return to the default view, and now, when you press the hat switch forward again you instantly get the saved special view.

Just be carefull you don't save the view without the forward hat switch on (or the num pad 8 key held down), as that would change the default forward view.

To recap you now have two forward views,
1 normal (no input on the hat switch) and 1 special with the hat switch forward
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 06:10:34 PM by Blagard »

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Over the nose view
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 06:08:13 PM »
You can also raise the seat of your plane to get the "over the nose" view.  I raised the seat so the bore sight is at eye level and lets me look over the nose of the P-38.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Over the nose view
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 06:10:36 PM »
My problem is, how do you get TrackIR to work with these views?  If I set the forward view as you've shown, my virtual head is in the proper position only when I am looking forward.  Once I rotate past a certain degree, my head moves back the the center.  It's possible, I suppose, to program every view to the same place, but getting them all to be in the same spot is just about impossible.

Moreover, how do you toggle between saved views and the default?  The only way I know of requires that you hold the button; as soon as you let go, it goes back to the saved view.

To make matters worse, when TrackIR is on, the move head keys do not work.  Rather, you must hold the view key for that direction, and then move your real head.  This moves the virtual head, but disables rotation.

Offline Condor

• Nickel Member
Over the nose view
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 07:21:19 PM »
Schatzi,

Thanks for educating me.  A great example of how a picture is worth a thousand words.
Balrog in game. Some day my performance may justify the name. LOL

Offline UdieNow

• Nickel Member
      • The Few Website
Over the nose view
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 07:38:48 PM »
Schatzi

You are the Goddess of AH.  

Now I see how my "over-the-nose" view was set wrong in my Spit.  

Thank you soooo much for posting those pics.

<>
Flying as: Timber43

Proud member of " The Few "
Geif N00k Plx!

Geif N00k Plx!

Offline B3YT

• Silver Member
Over the nose view
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 03:13:36 AM »
ahhhh thats how i get shot down in a scissors fight!

wow you are the best :)
As the cleaners say :"once more unto the bleach"

Offline Rolex

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
Over the nose view
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2007, 04:27:39 AM »
You can also use the same forward view while in the bombsight (F6).  Use arrows and Page Up/Page Down keys to move the forward guns out of view, then save it. The effect is that you can look up and forward from the bombsight through the front plexiglass to fine tune your path to the target, then release the view and be looking back down into the bombsight.

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
Over the nose view
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2007, 04:28:02 AM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
My problem is, how do you get TrackIR to work with these views?  If I set the forward view as you've shown, my virtual head is in the proper position only when I am looking forward.  Once I rotate past a certain degree, my head moves back the the center.  It's possible, I suppose, to program every view to the same place, but getting them all to be in the same spot is just about impossible.

Moreover, how do you toggle between saved views and the default?  The only way I know of requires that you hold the button; as soon as you let go, it goes back to the saved view.

To make matters worse, when TrackIR is on, the move head keys do not work.  Rather, you must hold the view key for that direction, and then move your real head.  This moves the virtual head, but disables rotation.

Benny,

Im not 100% sure what you are talking about. When you are using TrackIR, you cannot use the hatswitch with adjustment of the head positions at the same time. You do not need it, since the TrackIR will control your head moving as well as the view direction.

You can always "override" the TIR view with hatswitch, but then youll only get the default head position... unadjustable. But you can still use the TIR to move your head, even in the view direction "fixed" by the hatswitch.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Over the nose view
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2007, 07:02:26 AM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore

check this thread : http://forums.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196483

Try some of the posted configuration.

To make matters worse, when TrackIR is on, the move head keys do not work.  Rather, you must hold the view key for that direction, and then move your real head.  This moves the virtual head, but disables rotation. [/B]

If I'm not mistaken you cannot mix static view and track IR.

Offline Wizer

• Nickel Member
Over the nose view
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2007, 07:39:56 AM »
Originally posted by Condor
Schatzi,

Thanks for educating me.  A great example of how a picture is worth a thousand words.

Schatzi, let me add my thanks and gratitude to you for this excellent post.  Even though I have flown in AceHigh for a number of years, I was not aware of this view setting.  I am sure that there are a number of "vets" out there who are also unaware of it.  As a suggestion, I think that your post should be included on your Trainer's web site.  Thanks and keep up the excellent work.   I salute  you, wizer!!!

Offline HomeBoy

• Nickel Member
      • HomeBoy's Inventions
Over the nose view
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2007, 07:40:18 AM »
To summarize how TrackIR works in Aces High (been experimenting a lot with it lately):

1.  When TIR is enabled, the static view keys when held down exhibit two important characteristics -
     a.  Any customized setting you've done to that view is lost and you just get a default view.
     b.  TIR Pitch, Roll, Z and Yaw are disabled but X and Y are enabled allowing you to move your head around in those axes while the key is held.

2. If you disable TIR (pause) then use the static views, it behaves as if you don't have TIR at all.  All your customized views are present.   One negative side effect is it takes about 1.2 seconds from the time you pause TIR until you can succesfully change views.  If you are too quick, you'll get the "TIR static" view.

I did some experimenting with building a CM script (CH programming language) that would temporarily turn off TIR when I used my POV.  It seemed like a good idea at the time but the biggest problem is the delay associated with pausing TIR.  1.2 seconds is a real show stopper.  I'm actually glad now  that I didn't go that route as holding a POV key while TIR is turned on is way better than a saved view anyway.  Because all TIR movement is disabled except X (side-to-side head movement) and Y (up-and-down), you can move your head and easily duplicate any saved head position.  For example, the example Schatzi posted, with TIR, I could hit the POV-up hat and then move my head left and up and see exactly what she posted.  BUT, if the guy were to quickly break right, I could very easily track that view too by simply moving my head right and up.  The same is true when looking six.  If you relied only on the static saved view, my six view would be over my left shoulder or right depending on what I saved.  With TIR, if I hit POV-back, I can very easily move my head left or right and look over either shoulder.  The most important factor here is setting up your TIR profile to effectively exploit this behavior.  Because I didn't have my profile set up right, I began to explore mixing static views with TIR views.   If you have your profile set up correctly, you don't need to do that.  Thanks to Mace, I now have a good profile.

Of course, you don't need to use POV at all with TIR but there is an advantage to doing so.  Using POV stabilizes the view a good bit as Pitch, Yaw and Roll are disabled plus you can check your six much quicker by yanking POV-back rather than whipping your head around to the six.

There is still one instance where I want to turn off TIR while in flight.  When JABO bombing, I use the Forward-Left (or right) static view to determine the proper angle to begin the bomb run.  I want that view to remain stable so I turn off TIR when I start my bomb run because I need the stability.  As soon as I release my ordinance however, I swith TIR back on.  I set up a button to do that so it's quite easy.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 08:07:43 AM by HomeBoy »
The Hay Street Boys