Author Topic: A Salute  (Read 341 times)

Offline 68Boomer

• Zinc Member
A Salute
« on: January 24, 2007, 01:32:39 PM »
Lately, with all the Griping, Moaning, Whining, etc, etc.......I think it is time for this to be said.

I have only been flying AH for about 6 months now. In that time I have:

1. Been shot down a lot.

2. Learned a lot (and continue to do so).

3. Found a super bunch of pilots to be around (My Squadies who put up with my Nugget antics).

4. Been shot down a lot.

5. Have found the owners of this game to be very helpful.

6. Have had some of the most fun "Chases" around (Me being chased).

7. Did I mention getting shot down a lot????

All in All, minus the occasional twittering by a very small minority, I can say that this is a great group of pilots, BOTH Friend and Foe. It has been and will continue to be my pleasure to fly with or against you all! Someday, (I hope), I will improve my score out of the 2k something, something and get that bullseye off my six.

My Salute to you ALL!

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
A Salute
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 01:44:11 PM »
You know it is funny 68, but when you think about it, the people who play this game really have more in common that you might think:

1.  Have shared interest in WW2.  I bet every one of these people would stop on the history channel if the program was about war or especially ww2.

2.  Are interested in flight/dogfights and that sort of thing, same thing about watching TV programs about it.

If you were to take all the interests and hobbies that people pursue around the world, it's easy to deduct that people playing AH have a GREAT deal in common.

To that end, it is surprising to me that there seems to be so much annimosity on 200 or even on the BB.  You would think we'd all be the best of friends.

When I went to the convention I noticed a good deal of comraderie(sp?)  I think when you see people in person you're less inclined to write snide comments or talk crap if you know what I mean.  The anonymity of the internet seems to promote this asinine behavior.

Cheers
:aok
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 02:30:04 PM by DREDger »

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
A Salute
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 01:58:23 PM »
Originally posted by DREDger
I bet every one of these people would stop on the history channel if the program was about war or especially ww2.

Hell yeah....

But only so I can correct them when they come up with comments like

"Armed with 50mm machine guns the P-51D was a...."

It makes me look like a real WWII history hard man infront of my kids.

:D

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
A Salute
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 01:58:56 PM »
You're dead on right about the comraderie of the history buffs/airplane guys. But, there's another subset of players with a totally different motivation -- the "Me-Leet" ers.  They're guys who tie their identity in to their game success, or who only feel good about themselves when they beat on someone else.

T(hose, and the pure social misfits, are usually the unpleasant ones on 200. Now, there are crossovers, nice guys having a bad day or a frustrating run -- been there myself).

The social misfits arent likely to get to the convention. Peopke who take that kind of trouble are more into the people than the game anyway!
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
A Salute
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 02:07:28 PM »
Originally posted by mussie

It makes me look like a real WWII history hard man infront of my kids.

:D

Maybe it's the fact that they're teenagers, but I just get the eyeroll thing and the "Don't get him started..." comments  fom mine....

:lol
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
A Salute
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 02:10:49 PM »
Originally posted by Simaril
Maybe it's the fact that they're teenagers, but I just get the eyeroll thing and the "Don't get him started..." comments  fom mine....

:lol

BWHAHAHA

My eldest is 14 and I get the same thing from him.... He pretends he is listening, but I know that all he is hearing is BLAH BLAH BLAH.....

Oh well At least the other two are still young enough to think dad might know what he is talking about.....
:)

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
Re: A Salute
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 02:17:57 PM »
Originally posted by 68Boomer

I have only been flying AH for about 6 months now. In that time I have:

1. Been shot down a lot.

4. Been shot down a lot.

7. Did I mention getting shot down a lot????

I will improve my score out of the 2k something, !

loool, Boomer :rofl :rofl :rofl