Author Topic: Tile properties trouble  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Wayne22

• Zinc Member
Tile properties trouble
« on: January 28, 2007, 09:58:20 AM »
I am building a terrain with all custom feilds for fun and I'm having an issue.
I have already built two feilds and they've come out just fine. I'm trying to do a rs road out from one field to a port I'm going to build. I have set the tile properties to "Is square tile object" and "Set terrain under tile". In TE when I open it the cell overlay will disappear as it should, in the game I get stuff sticking through it. Anybody have any advice or a possible solution? I thank you guys in advance. Am I able to post screen shots and if so how?
It might make it easier to see what I'm talking about.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/kwsappjr
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 11:11:02 AM by Wayne22 »

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Tile properties trouble
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 02:04:41 PM »
First, download and install the most recent (new for you) TE/OE.

Set "Is Square Tile Object" and "Display Terrain Under Tile", leave the rest unchecked.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Wayne22

• Zinc Member
Tile properties trouble
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 08:30:10 PM »
Yes I've done that, properties are definitely set correctly. Even when I open my terrain in TE all the cell overlay on that specific tile disappears like it is supposed to. I copy it to game and the stuff comes back in the game. My other two custom airfields don't have this problem. Could it be a minimum object requirement in OE, I just don't get it. If you look at the screenshots you will see the airfield layed on a forrest terrain where nothing is sticking up. Now the rs road in the square below it with the grass terrain is a seperate object I just lined the rs roads in OE with the grid snaps. That's the one that's the problem.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 08:36:02 PM by Wayne22 »

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Re: Tile properties trouble
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 08:34:26 PM »
Originally posted by Wayne22
... in the game I get stuff sticking through it...
... I copy it to game and the stuff comes back...  

Okay, define "stuff".
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Wayne22

• Zinc Member
Tile properties trouble
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 08:37:02 PM »
Grass HIlls Trees

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Tile properties trouble
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 07:11:44 AM »
I'm no expert on the OE, but I do know that even the standard resupply (convoy) roads have trees, hills etc that pop up over the road. They are never 100% clear. (And it took me a while to figure out what a "rs" road was :) )
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Tile properties trouble
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 08:18:33 AM »
Wayne, if you haven't filled in your entire "tile" region in the OE with either a tile bottom that covers the entire "tile" region, or custom objects that leave no space for anything else, there are sure to be trees, shrubs, bushes, and hills that appear on your terrain.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Tile properties trouble
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 04:22:31 PM »
Originally posted by Wayne22
Yes I've done that, properties are definitely set correctly. Even when I open my terrain in TE all the cell overlay on that specific tile disappears like it is supposed to. I copy it to game and the stuff comes back in the game. My other two custom airfields don't have this problem. Could it be a minimum object requirement in OE, I just don't get it. If you look at the screenshots you will see the airfield layed on a forrest terrain where nothing is sticking up. Now the rs road in the square below it with the grass terrain is a seperate object I just lined the rs roads in OE with the grid snaps. That's the one that's the problem.
I don't recall ever trying only one object.  Normally when you check those two boxes, none of the ground clutter comes through and I'm not sure you want a barren tile. Scatter some trees around the tile and see if that fixes it, small hills are available too if you edit the shpfilter file.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Wayne22

• Zinc Member
Tile properties trouble
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 04:44:38 PM »
Thanx guys I'll give that a shot. I wanted to add trees and stuff anyway for a more natural look. I was just putting my tile in the game to make sure the rs roads did line up properly before I continued with detailing it, and that's when I came across this issue. So I will go ahead and landscape it and see what happens. I'll keep you guys posted and thanx once again.

Offline Wayne22

• Zinc Member
Tile properties trouble
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 07:43:24 PM »
Well, still doesn't work, my rs road still has grass and massive hills penetrating it. I added more objects such as trees and hills.
Is a tile object able to be layed right next to another?

Offline Wayne22

• Zinc Member
Tile properties trouble
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 08:27:48 PM »
Originally posted by Denholm
Wayne, if you haven't filled in your entire "tile" region in the OE with either a tile bottom that covers the entire "tile" region, or custom objects that leave no space for anything else, there are sure to be trees, shrubs, bushes, and hills that appear on your terrain.

On my airfields that I have built the entire tile has not been filled by objects and still the entire tile in TE and in game has been wipped clean of any hills trees and grass other than the ones I add. Why it is acting different for this tile I can't figure out. It wouldn't be so bad if the huge hills and grass weren't right in my rs road. That's not very pretty   lol.The odd part about it is that it works in TE and looks right but not in the game.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Tile properties trouble
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 09:29:28 AM »
Try this, in the OE, place the shape "lafld0g" as the bottom object (Indexed Order: 0 ) Once you have it aligned so that the red square lines that are just on the outside of the object replace the white border lines of the tile's edge you should be able to continue. This object should prevent any trees from popping into your tile when you place it.
FlameThink.com

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Tile properties trouble
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 01:23:38 PM »
At this point I'd make a copy of one of the two .til files you have working and rename it.  Then delete all the objects and add an rs object, build it and see if the new .shp file will work.

It's pretty elementary but sometimes I forget to move the latest .shp file to the texsrc folder, and it can leave you wondering what went wrong.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Wayne22

• Zinc Member
Tile properties trouble
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 04:17:32 PM »
Well guys niether of those suggestions worked out for me, but I do appreciate you guys thinking on it.

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Tile properties trouble
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 08:26:07 AM »
That's odd, which version of the OE are you using?

While in the OE, go to Help>About. It should tell you in there which version you have.
FlameThink.com