Author Topic: Which A6M kit do I have?  (Read 502 times)

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
Which A6M kit do I have?
« on: January 30, 2007, 02:16:37 PM »
My local hobby shop is shutting down, and I picked up a bunch of plastic model kits at great prices.  I don't have an A6M in my collection yet, so I paid six bucks or so for the only ones they had left.  This is some el-cheapo kit that has no useful model ID info.  

So, judging just from exterior details only, how do I figure out which A6M is modelled in this kit?

It's mainly for figuring out how to paint it.  I would prefer to do a green Zero, as I also bought a Sakai A6M kit that I plan to paint as indicated in the instructions in a white/naval version.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Which A6M kit do I have?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 02:20:54 PM »
A couple things could help.

Can you clip the wings and fuselage out, and tape them together, then measure the wingspan and length (including cowling)? The wingspan got shorter on the M5 and later versions if I recall.

Also what weapons package does it have? Do you have 2 guns in each wing, or 1 gun in each wing? Do you have 1 gun in the cowling or 2?

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
Which A6M kit do I have?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 02:30:42 PM »
Looks like a standard 2 cowl, 2 wing gun Zero.  The cowl guns have firing channels molded, but no gun barrels, so they're either recessed too far to be visible or it's just a crappy kit that didn't bother to mold them.  

Wingspan is 14.9 cm
Length nose to tail (not including spinner) 11.9 cm

Thanks for the help!

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Which A6M kit do I have?
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 02:30:56 PM »
Tarmac, is it in a box? or packaging?  do you have a manufacture's name or model # on the package?   if you have that info you can probably google it and find out.    Otherwise what Krusty said.

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
Which A6M kit do I have?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 02:37:57 PM »
I didn't have much luck googling the kit by name, it's such a noob kit that it isn't even mentioned on any serious model building websites.  

The only thing on the box that looks like a serial number comes back with nothing in google.

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Which A6M kit do I have?
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 02:38:01 PM »
could it be this one?   can you take a pic of the kit or the box?

http://www.hobbytron.com/model/MitsubishiA6M5cType52HasegawaModelAirplanes.html

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Which A6M kit do I have?
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 02:39:43 PM »
Well the A6M1 and M2 had a 12 meter wingspan. All other versions had an 11 meter winspan, and in 72nd scale yours comes out to 10.728 meters (it's probably off on the measurements, but close enough to 11m).

The most common variant would be the A6M5. The external differences were relatively minor, except where there were 2 guns in each wing. You can probably be safe doing it as an M5a or M5b.

Also, the guns wouldn't show in the channels in the cowling. They'd be inside it out of sight, if I recall.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Which A6M kit do I have?
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 02:40:23 PM »
Originally posted by Airscrew
could it be this one?   can you take a pic of the kit or the box?

http://www.hobbytron.com/model/MitsubishiA6M5cType52HasegawaModelAirplanes.html

Nope, that's got 2 guns in each wing. He said his only has 1 in each wing.

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
Which A6M kit do I have?
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 02:42:02 PM »
Nah, Hasegawa has good enough documentation that I'd be able to figure out what it was.  At very least they'd have a good enough 3 view/paint guide to give me a good idea.  

It's a Testor's Easybuild series:
http://www.hobbyoutlets.com/testors/861004.htm

I just want a green zero to go with my white one. :)

edit: the box pic has 4 cannons, but the model itself only has 2.  I'm looking for a paint scheme similar to the box, but didn't want to rip it off because the version pictured obviously isn't the same as the one in the box.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Which A6M kit do I have?
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 02:44:42 PM »
Well that one's got 4 guns as well in the wings. If your wings have 4 guns then you have an A6M5c or later.

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
Which A6M kit do I have?
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 02:48:08 PM »
model kits boxes are notorious for being wrong... they either don't represent the kit, or they're just flat out incorrect in that they have extra guns, wrong engines, incorrect paint schemes for the model pictured, etc.  

My kit has 2 cannons, despite what's pictured on the box.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Which A6M kit do I have?
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 02:50:22 PM »
Then any A6m5a or A6M5b paint scheme will work.

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
Which A6M kit do I have?
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 02:52:51 PM »
Sweet, thanks.  

I'm off to google for some good 3-views!

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
Which A6M kit do I have?
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 10:30:39 PM »
j-aircraft.com has a big modeling section...OMG this rufe OWNZ!!!!1

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Which A6M kit do I have?
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 11:28:49 PM »
That kit's pretty rare, if I recall. It's an old old old kit, back when they didn't settle on standard scales. It's really 1/50th scale (if it's the kit I'm thinking of) rather than 1/48th. I've heard with a little work it can become a real gem in the display case. Someday I wouldn't mind building it.