Author Topic: X-52 Pro/Set up/Mapping  (Read 438 times)

Offline rdspickle

• Zinc Member
X-52 Pro/Set up/Mapping
« on: January 31, 2007, 10:48:57 PM »
The more I read the more I get confused.Is there anybody out there that can give me a button by button set up for the X-52 Pro,sothat I don't have to use the keyboard?

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
X-52 Pro/Set up/Mapping
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 01:17:44 PM »
Here is one that Eagler posted

http://www.pogbird.com/X45/ACESHIGH_X52.zip
« Last Edit: February 01, 2007, 01:20:43 PM by MajWoody »
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
X-52 Pro/Set up/Mapping
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 04:00:02 PM »
I posted these a while back, but here they are again if you want to see them-

I like to keep my hands in one position on my joystick and throttle at all times, and have the most important functions available intuitively, at my fingertips. My set-up is mapped for fighter's and small changes may help if you are more interested in bombers or Jabo's. Having your joystick mapped efficiently is key in AH.
I know I told you this last night, but first and foremost in importance is views, as without them your SA (Situational Awareness) suffers and you will die. You must be able to watch your opponent at all times in order to counter his moves, launch your own, and ACCURATELY read his E-state and attitude (not altitude). That will enable you to understand what his plane is capable of, and eventually you will often be able to anticipate his move before he makes it. Not reading the opponents attitude and E-state accurately is what leads to people complaining about "slower" planes catching "faster" planes, UFO flying, "limit-less E", "wonder flaps", and cheating to name but a few. In the end, all these complaints really come down to less-than-perfect SA.
In any fight, the one who SETS the rules, and forces his opponent to fight the way he wants is the one most likely to win. The one who is REACTING to the others moves, is a step behind the other and is playing "catch-up". He will likely lose the majority of the time. He is being "led" to his death. This is not to say that being over-confident is safe, as it's not. But flying offensively will get you more kills than flying defensively. Defense is just trying to stay alive, offense is winning. You can be angles, E, and altitude disadvantaged, and still be flying offensively. I'm not merely dodging bullets, but trying to manipulate my opponent into positioning his plane in front of my guns. Losing your view of the opponent will cause you to lose the fight. It is the number one most important element of SA
For views, you need an 8 position hat switch mapped to your joystick hand, with the forward position giving you a "Look up front" view. You also need a "look up" button mapped to your throttle hand, that can be used at the same time as your hat switch. You need to be able to use these view keys while also operating all the ESSENTIAL functions for flight. Your joystick takes care of elevator and ailerons, your pedals take care of rudder, and throttle is obvious.
Other essentials are WEP, flaps, and maybe gear. (Gear is important in an F4U as means for slowing down) Ideally you need to be able to use these items while also flying and using the hat switch, and the look up button, and the throttle, all at the same time. My throttle is set up so my palm operates the throttle, my thumb operates "look up", and my index finger operates the switch that is a combo for flaps and slide head left/right. My left hand comfortably holds the throttle, and my thumb and index fingers are ALWAYS ready to operate their buttons. NO looking away from screen to do so, and NO looking away from the opponent to do so.
All other functions fit into the "optional" category, but have a definate hierarchy of importance. High on the list for me, and almost considered essential for living, are the clipboard, and the "icon" toggle. Next is VOX. These three items greatly add to my SA. The clipboard and its associated radar show me friendlies, enemies, their numbers, and where "safety" lies. The icon toggle shows me what other friendlies are flying, which gives me an idea of how they will be flying/fighting, and what their strengths/weaknesses are. That may be important info when I am in trouble, or when they are, and need their six cleared. I fly the F4U, so if I need my six cleared, running at high speed won't work if my friends are flying Spit 5's. They'll never catch me to clear me. At the same time, turning the fight into a low, slow, tight turning fight doesn't help my bud's clear me if they are flying 109K4's. (At least for the most part). If I'm trying to clear a friendly who is flying a spit, I know his tactics will be different than if he was flying a Tempest or a P51. Running for the enemy field looking for safety doesn't work either, so I need my clipboard accessible to show me where "home" is.
So, if you still have buttons available on your joystick at this point, map them for VOX(both range and channel), clipboard, and icons.
Next in importance for me is manual trim, and the ability to turn Auto Combat Trim on/off. I fight with flaps, and in the vertical A LOT, and the auto trim makes adjustments I do not like for this. I prefer manual trim for landing too, so I don't have to fight the plane to land it. I leave Auto Trim off by default, and turn it on when I want it. I use it for general flying, and some fighting, but dont want it coming on by itself. I have a button on my joystick toggled to turn the trim on/off, and an extra HAT switch mapped for Elev, Aileron, and rudder trim. Just touching the HAT switch shuts off auto trim also.
Those are the functions that I use so often I wear them out on my sticks, and consider "most" important. They are the ones that need to be mapped to the "best" spots on the joystick.
Of less importance, but still likely to be mapped on my stick are "damage", "toggle secondary weapon", "fire secondary weapon", "tailhook", and "record film". These buttons are "nice" to have handy, but won't get you killed if you have to look away from the monitor to operate them.
Any other functions are just as easily mapped to the keyboard. They are not what I would consider "critical", so I put them wherever handy. The most notable changes I've made to my keyboard mapping are to make "Z" auto-angle, "X" auto-level, "C" auto-climb. I dropped the Alt-X default for an easier "X". I also mapped the "Zoom" key to my spacebar, so when I do need it I can access it by spastically slapping at my keyboard. It's a big key that I can't miss. It should be noted that I can't type, so a big key is good in a dark room, in the middle of a fight...

And a more specific button by button setup-

Since we have the same stick, I'll share some of my mappings, in case you like them.

On the throttle, in addition to the Look Up I already discussed-

The biggest blue button (has a big E on it)-Gear toggle

The hat switch on the front of the stick, accessed with your left index finger-

Mapped so pulling it "up" or toward you, is "Flaps down", and pushing it away is "Flaps Up". Also mapped so Pushing it left/right slides your head left/right, exactly as the arrow keys do. I use this A LOT because I basically only fly the F4U's, and I need to slide my head left/right while looking back to really check my six. If you do this, and look forward again by releasing the HAT switch, you may need to tap the HAT again to center you forward view again. Just a quick tap will do it...

On the stick itself, I recommend the following-

The top left HAT switch mapped so pushing it left/right is manual trim adjustment for AILERONS, and forward/backward is trim for down and up ELEVATOR respectively. Having trims mapped will make it easier to land, etc. Also useful when damage occurs to a wing, aileron, elevator, etc. This sometimes happens when you fly in the vicinity of enemy aircraft or ground vehicles. I'm not sure why, exactly. Manual trim can be important for other reasons as well.

The top center button, under the stupid shield, is mapped to toggle the Auto Combat Trim on/off. I leave the shield up all the time.

Top right button "A" is for WEP.

Bottom blue button "B" is for "Range Vox".

Big black button on left "C" is for 'Channel Vox".

On the base of the stick-

T1- Toggle Damage list

T2- Toggle tailhook (not important right away, lol, but at some point you will likely have an opportunity to attempt a landing).

T3- Toggles the secondary weapon selection.

T5- I use for toggling "Film" on and off.

My set-up is admittedly tailored to fighters, as that is really all I do. The basics will work for anyone though. The mappings required for bombing etc, are not as critical, as you will be able to let go of the throttle or joystick and/or look away from the screen to toggle what you need. You will generally have plenty of time for that.

However, letting go of the joystick or throttle, or looking away from the screen will be the end of the fight for you in a fighter vs fighter scenario. You need the key view and flight functions available at your fingertips, and intuitive for good results in combat.

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline rdspickle

• Zinc Member
X52PRO
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 11:37:54 PM »
thanks guys!

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
X-52 Pro/Set up/Mapping
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 05:48:30 AM »
Id recommend start out with the basics:

Views
Look up (this one needs to be used at the same time as hatswitch!)
Fire 1
Fire 2
WEP
Flaps up/down
Voice Transmit buttons (if you use a mic)
Combat Trim
Gun zoom toggle

Have those in comfortable and easily reachable positions, as youre going to need them a lot during fight.

As you got used to those, just start filling the blanks one by one, map the ones that you need to reach keyboard most often for first :).
Gear, Damage report, Clipboard map, chat size,....
21 is only half the truth.

Offline rdspickle

• Zinc Member
X-52 Pro/Set up/Mapping
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 07:48:37 PM »
thanks again.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
X-52 Pro/Set up/Mapping
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 08:12:55 PM »
mtnman

Nice writeup

You just described how, after 8 or is it 9 months, I've got mine set.  Guess I am learning something from you vets ;)
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline rdspickle

• Zinc Member
X-52 Pro Trim
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 01:34:11 AM »
If you think that I'm a vet, you couldn't be more wrong. I made my first flight tonight. Although I did get my first kill while practicing off-line. Just wish I would have gotten film of it.