Author Topic: spinning clipboard?  (Read 847 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
spinning clipboard?
« on: February 18, 2007, 12:41:49 AM »
something has happened with my AH. I get a darkened clipboard that looks like blank pages spinning out of it. Is this the "spinning clipboard" the dual core ppl were getting before the patches?
It just started happenening today. I have reinstalled the two patches for my dualcore Opteron. I even reinstalled AH but cannot get into AH unless I click the "play in Win98 compatibility mode" in the exe file properties.
I was working perfectly until today..
any suggestions?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
spinning clipboard?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 01:57:21 AM »
re-install the vid card drivers.  That can help.  I read somewhere that MSFS messes with vid card drivers too, so if you're running that then you might have to reinstall your vid drivers.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
spinning clipboard?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 06:50:18 AM »
not running ms fight sim.
I re-installed video drivers - still have spinning clipboard
I tried different resolutions in AH and still get spinning clipboard and/or the game freezes while the sound continues. Sometimes i can alt tab out and close AH, other times I have to hard reset.
IL/FB and Tiger Woods, my other two graphics intense games play without an issue. The only way I can get into AH and fly for any length of time is to set Win98 compatibility mode.
Does the Operton sound like it has an issue? Is there anyway to check it? Temps are fine. Voltages seem ok too.

any suggestions?

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
spinning clipboard?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 07:04:09 AM »
What card and what version drivers?

I had a little success with 93.71 and my 6800GT...

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
spinning clipboard?
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 07:21:50 AM »
Make sure that the command /usepmtimer is in your boot.ini file.

Using your mouse, right-click on My Computer go to Properties, click on the Advance tab, then under Startup and Recovery click on Settings, then click on EDIT....make sure your boot.ini has the /usepmtimer in there (located in the last line), if NOT then just copy and paste /usepmtimer in there.

By the way, if the above is not in the boot.ini file I would be really suspect.  That entry should be made when the AMD dual-core optimizer is installed.  If it is missing, then something has removed it.

Did you happen to do a restore?  If so, then you probably need to re-install the AMD patch.  If not, then you might want to start thinking about the software you run on your computer.  If something is messing with the boot.ini file, you really want to get rid if it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 07:24:32 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
spinning clipboard?
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 07:38:05 AM »
eagl
I have the evga 7800 gs co card.
I was using the 81.98 when it started hapening. Since I have tried the 84.56 and get the same thing.

Skuzzy
here is my boot.ini:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimer
Does that look right?
I haven't done a restore nor installed anything between the time AH was working fine and when it started hosing up.
It started Saturday when I went offline to show the granddaughter "the airplane game". I was in the tower and just switching views with the hat when it locked up hard. After a reboot, I started getting the dark spinning page clipboard.
any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated
tia

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
spinning clipboard?
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 08:30:30 AM »
Eagler,

Try 93.71.  I just flew online for around an hour and had no problems.  81.95 doesn't work very well for me, but 93.71 seems to be fine.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
spinning clipboard?
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 04:29:15 PM »
Yes, you boot.ini looks ok.  Wierd. I know what is causing the problem, and it has to do with the CPU clocks.  And that is what is addressed in the patch from AMD.

This is just odd.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Update
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 10:50:49 AM »
Thought I had it but maybe this is a different issue now..
I took the vcard out and cleaned the fan and the exhaust trace out as it was kind of dusty (overheat maybe). And then I reran the AMD dual core optimizer patch. That seemed to get rid of the dark spinning clipboard issue but then would lock up in the game. The sound would continue but the video froze. Sometimes I was able to alt tab or alt esc to the desktop and close AH but sometimes I had to hard reset and restart the computer to get out of the lockup.
I next cleared out the video driver following directions on the web at tweakguides and installed the 93.71 eagl mentioned. I was able to get a couple of short sorties in without a lockup and thought I was home free but it just froze on me again after about two minutes in EW. I was able to alt tab out and capture the windows error (the error windows was trying to send itself) :

Error Signature
szAppName : aceshigh.exe     szAppVer : 0.0.0.0     szModName : hungapp    
szModVer : 0.0.0.0     offset : 00000000    

does that mean anything to anyone?

Offline Grizwart

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.vf15satansplaymates.com
spinning clipboard?
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2007, 09:09:23 AM »
Same issue for me ... one exception i am running multi monitor.   I put the command in my boot.ini... worked once.  It is still in there but now it does not work again.  I am using AVG virus if that helps.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
spinning clipboard?
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2007, 09:25:40 AM »
Manually installing the command in the boot.ini file will not correct the issues with dual core AMD CPU's.  The command is installed if the installation of the dual-core optimizer patch has been done.  This patch is absolutely required for many things.

Please note, if you ever do a system restore, the patch will be either erased or totally messed up.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 09:28:57 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
spinning clipboard?
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 07:55:23 AM »
just a quick update ...
still having AH lock ups. nothing else is crashing.
A lock up is the video freezes solid and the sound continues. I have to hard reset the computer to get out of it. No alt tabbing.
I have formatted the hd and installed a fresh XP pro thinking the opteron hosed it up somehow ..
still locked up
changed the video card back to the ati 9800 pro
still locked up
at this point I am going to go back to the amd64 3400 cpu as I did not have any issue b4 the cpu upgrade to the dual core..
has anyone gone back to a single core from a dual core?
besides de-installing the patches, can I get away with not re-installing XP?

Offline Grizwart

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.vf15satansplaymates.com
spinning clipboard?
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 11:49:55 AM »
The patch working for my duel core exactly and mr. skuzzeeeeeeee said it would.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
spinning clipboard?
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 12:43:47 PM »
Eagler's computer is the only one I have run into which the AMD patch did not correct.  Something very wierd with that computer.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
spinning clipboard?
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 09:22:05 PM »
Eagler , i had the same issue when i loaded the windows update KB896256 AND the Dualcore optimizer from AMD at the same time . Is there any chance that you have that update installed? I uninstalled the XP update and the spinning clipboard stopped . Good luck .