Author Topic: Replace Current Oily Windshield: Suggestions?  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Replace Current Oily Windshield: Suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2007, 05:52:16 PM »
Someone should do a skin of that that bird. :D
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2007, 06:37:23 PM »
It looks to me like theres a hole or some sort of damage at the top of the cowling, right around the origin point of the oil streak. Looks like large-caliber ground fire to me.

Now THAT one definitely came out from under the cowling. :D
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2007, 06:50:38 PM »
Originally posted by Odee
I wonder what the story is behind this picture?  Don't see any damage, unless he took a canon HO in the nose.

Ground test and a line break somewhere?  Anyone have ideas how we can ID the unit and get the scoop?

It is a P-47D-23-RA assigned to the 367th Fighter Squadron of the 358th Fighter Group, 9th Air Force. It was reported to have collected a 3.7cm Flak round in the engine while strafing German ground units in France. It flew home with two cylinders literally blown off the motor.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2007, 07:49:49 PM »
I was gonna say that looked like missing cylinders to me.  You need a pretty good sized hole in the case to throw that much oil.  If it was a small hole, you could still spill the same quantity, but not in such a spectacularly wide fan covering the entire fuselage.  What a testament to the R-2800 engine and the Jug in general.  Had to have been very comforting (at least once he made it home) to realize you had that kind of hardware strapped to your body.  Kind of reminded me of that P-51 at Reno this year that threw a rod through the bottom of the case.  Same arterial oil-letting.  Partner that picture up with Johnson's plane after it got shredded and you've got a great testimony to Republic's and Pratt & Whitney's engineering.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2007, 08:52:47 PM »
If only the game was so kind to the 2800.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline BaDkaRmA158Th

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2007, 08:58:42 PM »
Thats what i will always love janes ww2 fighter for.
the cockpit damage was amazeing, and hearing your pilot scream in aggony as blood spat all over was just..too cool.
not to mention you didnt pass out from blood loss.. you flew on..then screamed in aggony for however long,till your pilot just died..then you would ride your plane down to the ground in peace.

Also loved how the engine could seperated from the fuselage if it shook too violently or if it was "somehow" blown clean off.
and the fact you could at a right angle "survive" a ground strike, altho the prop would be torn up "violent engine shakeing example" and the body bent like 15 degreese.

:|

HT, get on it man,thats a 98' game 0.o

***oh..the topic!***
Haveing played flight sims sence red barron "ehem the appleII sidescrooler not 3d one *till laters*"/janes ATF
I would say the best improvement we could see for oil is animated oil flowing up the window slowly.
As it is right now, the milisecond your engine gets hit..BAM..you have your screen jacked up and it stays that way till you auger,land or die..ither way "thats all folks"
it would be much better to have the oil animated to slowly slide up the window and plane .ect
maby even have the animation play slower/quicker with windspeed.
that way if a plane is moving at say 150mph the oil would cover slower,than at 300-400 "also maby a lower engine seting would make oil spurt out less,same with +g -g's

Work with that idea for a bit, dont worry about the sideways motion,just focus on animation,and animation speed with plane speed
Ill be happy ;)
~383Rd RTC/CH BW/AG~
BaDfaRmA

My signature says "Our commitment to diplomacy will never inhibit our willingness to kick a$s."

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2007, 11:39:17 PM »
Originally posted by BaDkaRmA158Th
Thats what i will always love janes ww2 fighter for.
the cockpit damage was amazeing, and hearing your pilot scream in aggony as blood spat all over was just..too cool.
not to mention you didnt pass out from blood loss.. you flew on..then screamed in aggony for however long,till your pilot just died..then you would ride your plane down to the ground in peace.

Also loved how the engine could seperated from the fuselage if it shook too violently or if it was "somehow" blown clean off.
and the fact you could at a right angle "survive" a ground strike, altho the prop would be torn up "violent engine shakeing example" and the body bent like 15 degreese.

:|

HT, get on it man,thats a 98' game 0.o

***oh..the topic!***
Haveing played flight sims sence red barron "ehem the appleII sidescrooler not 3d one *till laters*"/janes ATF
I would say the best improvement we could see for oil is animated oil flowing up the window slowly.
As it is right now, the milisecond your engine gets hit..BAM..you have your screen jacked up and it stays that way till you auger,land or die..ither way "thats all folks"
it would be much better to have the oil animated to slowly slide up the window and plane .ect
maby even have the animation play slower/quicker with windspeed.
that way if a plane is moving at say 150mph the oil would cover slower,than at 300-400 "also maby a lower engine seting would make oil spurt out less,same with +g -g's

Work with that idea for a bit, dont worry about the sideways motion,just focus on animation,and animation speed with plane speed
Ill be happy ;)

Two words... Frame rates.

If this were done there should be a way to turn off the animation if it becomes a frame rate issue, otherwise good idea.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
Re: Re: Re: Replace Current Oily Windshield: Suggestions?
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2007, 12:34:39 AM »
Originally posted by Chilli
Hmmm,  let me put it this way.  Look at every other aspect of detail in this game.    Even the damaged ground vehicles and ground strikes are more exciting to look at.   But, wouldn't dirty water, spring water, or even holy water, be an improvement over the old and rather stationary peek-a-boo black silly string stuck to your cockpit?  :rolleyes:

I do respect your opinion Kuhn, and whether or not I agree, I wish to ask you once more.  

Are you happy with permanent zebra stripes on your cockpit?

If not, what would you like to see instead? :noid

_____________________________ _

Personal opinion:  (whispers.......  I think Kuhn has worn his black face camouflague too long .... and leaves oily streaks all over everything,  and that's how he likes it) :lol

I know what I would like spread all over my cockpit... But I cant type it here....

Hmmm Too far perhaps... :p

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Replace Current Oily Windshield: Suggestions?
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2007, 01:16:12 AM »
Originally posted by mussie
I know what I would like spread all over my cockpit... But I cant type it here....

What's the big deal with peanut butter?  :confused:

Offline Kuhn

• Silver Member
      • Canvasman
Re: Re: Re: Re: Replace Current Oily Windshield: Suggestions?
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2007, 10:17:52 AM »
Originally posted by mussie

You talkin about the blond winsheild wipers? :D
325th Checkertails

Offline tedrbr

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2007, 12:47:50 PM »
That's it.

Replace the oil streak with a random Pin Up Girl (the Varga Girl will do too)...

Betty Grable, Joan Lawrence, Susan Hayward, Donna Drake, Rita Hayworth, Ava Gardner, Ingrid Bergman, Esther Williams, Lana Turner.....

Brilliant!

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2007, 12:59:31 PM »
Now I see while you like WW2 :D

Offline Odee

• Gold Member
      • 49th Fighter Group
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Replace Current Oily Windshield: Suggestions?
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2007, 02:58:57 PM »
Originally posted by Kuhn

They make a flyable windscreen that dumb... ermm large?!?! :O
~Nobodee~   Get Poached!
Elite: Dangerous ~ Cmd Odeed

http://www.luxlibertas.com/

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2007, 03:15:03 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
I want this kind of oil leak (perhaps randomized- some oil hits minor, look like they do now, others worse, looking like the pic?), and smoke, and fire, and reduced engine power, and I also want the pilot to slowly roast alive. I want pain and suffering and damage of a magnitude we've not yet seen in AH.

I want to hear the pilot screaming in pain.....  :t
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~

Offline Sketch

• Silver Member
      • http://www.arabian-knights.org
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Replace Current Oily Windshield: Suggestions?
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2007, 03:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kuhn

I know what photo your talking about..... :aok
~Sketch~//~Arabian Knights~
Sketch's Gunsight Collection 2008
Sketchworks Arabian Knights Soundpack
~Oderint Dum Metuant~