Author Topic: Rockets  (Read 1042 times)

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
Rockets
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 12:28:52 PM »
HERE'S  the secret.  I use f6f but works in f4u's.  Salvo 5 or 6 for a kill.  salvo 3 for tracking.  Use a steep-ish dive of 40 to 45 degree and be fast.  Fire at 800 yards not 1000 or 700 or 600 800 on the button.  Moving tanks are tricky that's when I use salvo 3.  Remember 5 x rockets = 1 x 500 Lb bomb.  It's all in the delivery  :D

P38 salvo 5 at 1000 yards.  38's rockets seen to fly straighter.

Killing m3's, m16's and jeeps 800 yards salvo 1.  Have a nice day and don't use this trick on me:rolleyes:

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Re: Rockets
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 01:17:46 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
Thought the IL2's were anti-armor?

Bronk

They would be if we had the BRS-82 or BRS-132, those are the shaped charge anti tank warheads for the Russians.  In game we only have the RS-82 and RS-132, the standard HE warhead.

I would love to get some new ord options.  :aok

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Rockets
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2007, 01:21:56 PM »
Ahhh thanks the clarification.

:aok

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
Rockets
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2007, 02:05:57 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
Ahhh thanks the clarification.

:aok

Bronk

The bad part is not alot of our rockets are defined all that well.  Like the RP's for the British aircraft.  I forget how they are labeled in the game, but I think they are the 3" rockets which does not tell us much about what they are.  It would be nice to get RP60's as they had both HE and a HEAT warhead.

Offline OLtos

• Zinc Member
Rockets are bouncing off
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2007, 12:49:01 AM »
I have been making repeated runs, (offline), on the tank drones.  Soviet heavy rockets seem to work, but American Rockets are literally bouncing off!   I can fire them and watch the smoke trial.  If I get a hit I can watch the smoke trial as they ricochete off the vehichle.  I will try the salvoing and see if that changes anything.  

As for the American Rockets.  I am not sure, but I am under the impression that the standard Rocket for US planes was the HVAAR rocket, (High Velocity Anit Armor Rocket).

Offline OLtos

• Zinc Member
Salvoing Rockets worked
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2007, 01:27:13 AM »
Salvos seemed to do the trick.   Salvo's of course don't always work. Only if you get enough of the salvo close enough.   The ricochette effect I am seeing seems to represent hits that don't do enough to kill.  

I went back to single shots and tried to see if the damage accumulated so that you could kill with multiple hits over multiple passes.  This seemed to work as well.  I would get the ricochette for hits untill the damage accrued enough for a kill, then the tank popped.

With that knowledge, one could set up an attack on a column or group of Vehichles by bombing with 500 or 100 pounders, not worrying about killing with bombs.  Then make multiple rocket attacks on softened up GVs.  Since the damageappears to accumulate, this could present some interesting opportunities.

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Re: Rockets are bouncing off
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2007, 01:41:05 AM »
Originally posted by OLtos
As for the American Rockets.  I am not sure, but I am under the impression that the standard Rocket for US planes was the HVAAR rocket, (High Velocity Anit Armor Rocket).

That's HVAR, and it stands for High Velocity Aerial Rocket.  It had a 5" Naval Gun round for a warhead, and was basically HE.  Later on, there were shape-charged varients that had an anti-armor capability, but mostly these were post-war developments.

Offline gusman

• Nickel Member
Re: Re: Rockets are bouncing off
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2007, 02:58:24 AM »
Originally posted by Stoney74
That's HVAR, and it stands for High Velocity Aerial Rocket.  It had a 5" Naval Gun round for a warhead, and was basically HE.  Later on, there were shape-charged varients that had an anti-armor capability, but mostly these were post-war developments.

Correct me if I wrong but shouldn't a 5" shell demolish a tank?

Cheers,
gusman44

Lt Cdr gus
801 Squadron FAA
Squadron XO

Offline MWL

• Nickel Member
Rockets
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2007, 04:14:00 AM »
Depends.

Okay, that was flip... :)

Really tho, an unfocused HE explosion may, or may not, cause damage inside an armored vehicle.

The crew may have a ringing sensation, or my just go 'oof' and shrug it off.

5" = a 127mm round.  Without a direct hit it ain't gonna do what ya want and even then, it needs to be a shaped charge or an AP round for a consitant Kill.

Regards,

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
Rockets
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2007, 10:24:10 AM »
I've seen a direct hit from a 155mm howitzer round pop a turret off a target hulk M60, but that's a much bigger round than a 5" naval shell.  I think mobility kills would be much more in the realm of possibility but MWL would know best, since he's a tread-head.

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
Rockets
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2007, 05:01:48 AM »
I wonder if HT or Pyro would post what types of rockets we have for the planes that can carry them. ;)

We can hope right? :noid