Author Topic: Which laptop should I get!  (Read 286 times)

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
Which laptop should I get!
« on: February 24, 2007, 02:13:08 AM »
Ok, I'm an idiot when it comes to buying things for myself, and I already know what I would tell someone else, so just confirm this with me :)

I need another laptop.  I'd like to have it as light as possibly but a couple less pounds isn't going to make my leap for joy as I walk a 1/4 mile from my parking garage to my office (2-3 days a week) otherwise I work in different locations where I only have to carry it less than a hundred yards.

I'd LIKE to be able to play AH2 on it.

Two choices.  Now, I've been noted to saying that thinkpads are not all they are hyped up to be.  This is true and I think the leveno's are REALLY cheap laptops riding off of the thinkpad name (none thinkpad versions).

Recently I dumped the ability to pickup a leveno for a great price because of how cheap it felt.

However, with a warranty - some of the older affordable thinkpads are STILL VERY GOOD laptops as they serve their purpose and are loaded with nice features.

SO , this brings me to my question:

If I wait long enough, I will see another deal via Circuit city, best buy etc - where I can get the following...more or less

-t2060 core duo laptop (1.6ghz)
-1 gig of ram
-80-120 gig hd
-Integrated graphics or shared graphics memory video card. (I know these are not for gaming that much, but it doesnt take much to run AH2 at all)

$599-699 AFTER extensive rebates (that I may or may not see in 6 weeks - 6 months depending on who I get it from)

Factory new with full warranty. 1 year parts and labor - send it in to get service.

OR

IBM Thinkpad T40 with 1.5 ghz M (not p4 version - newer M version, also not Centrino version)
1 gig of ram
40-60 gig hd
16 meg ati 7500 vid card

$500 after a small quick to get rebate  
Free shipping
1 year warranty parts and labor, in office service.

I know many will say obviously the dual core , new, more updated video management system is the better choice.

BUT keep in mind that this thinkpad is basically new.  Has the same warranty as the first option, and IT'S MUCH LIGHTER, and well - it's a thinkpad so it offers much nicer mouse options and an overall better feel when working long hours in conference rooms.

However I would get a wide screen with the dual core laptops.  Which annoy me for some reason.  

I would suggest that the person gets the dual core and just waits for the deal to come back on the market.  It could vary from Toshiba, Gateway or Acer.
Of those three I felt the gateway was the better laptop but I just missed a great deal for $599 for one.  Very nice and sturdy laptop and for some reason their screen didn't annoy me.

Also the first one has vista premium in most cases.  I'll own a copy of vista more or less, whereas with the Thinkpad, I still will not own a copy of Vista just yet.  

I guess I just want to hear from people that may dispute my ideology behind going with the dual core, even though I really want the thinkpad for the feel and weight factor , although like I said I don't think I'll really complain about the weight too much in the long run.  It's just that all the newer laptops have SUCH CHEAP cases and keyboards...and the mice buttons on some of them are HARDLY usable!!  The gateway seems to be the only laptop I really like now adays for feel and price/perc - but I have no idea when another deal like the one I missed will come back.  Could be many months, or 2 weeks from now.  They sold out before the ads even hit the Sunday papers.  Darn insiders!

Ok - fire away :)

EDIT: Btw my uses will be most single tasking.  Although I do code in PHP and HTML using several apps side by side, none of them are hyper intensive cpu draining apps.  Heck I use notepad many times for coding, but do often use dreamweaver for website updates and for layouts as it's quicker than need to restructure.
I also do alot of admin work whereas I will have to go onsite and stand for a period of no less than 15 minutes and sometimes 1 hour with a laptop in my hand or resting barely on a shelf tapped into a router that is not responding over a network etc etc.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 02:17:36 AM by Sincraft »

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 02:48:02 AM »
Dude, get a dell.:D

NOT

AKNOT

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 07:51:02 AM »
ASUS has a pretty good laptop Intel core duo with a dedicated ati 1700 mobility 256 meg vid card and some other things in it on newegg.....reviews talk good for it in regards to gaming

with a 2 yr warranty......

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834220104

might be a bit more than you wanting to pay though.......

comes with MS XP media center,  with  free upgrade to vista ( if you want it )

small lcd panel(14") but can always hook up  a bigger monitor to it.......

and you said it does not take much to run AH2,   I would not count on that, you should have a dedicated vid card of at least 128 meg , my opinion......
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 07:54:08 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 09:04:29 AM »
you want to stay away from any laptop running vista. Simply not enough resources to handle them IMO.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2007, 10:21:01 AM »
hehehe yea you can run vista on most laptops today.  

Too many rumors about what a hog it is.  Don't get me wrong, it is but not THAT much.  

I'm prolly gonna get vista biz from a client as a freebie soon so that/s no longer a perc

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 12:12:46 PM »
Hmm I think I could build that same pc with dell and pay just under $1k with some more stuff in it actually.

I wouldn't want a non name brand computer.  Too many things could come of that if you get say a series of laptops with lemon fans in them, a non name brand company is just going to brush you off.

btw have you ever tried to get ahold of asus or abit?  lol.  At least HP's ops pretend they are from America hehe.

Anyway thanks for the link it was nice checking that out and if it were a bit cheaper I'd think about it, but like I said - no name brand on laptop...unless it is DIRT cheap - is a big no no.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 02:36:40 PM »
Originally posted by Sincraft
Hmm I think I could build that same pc with dell and pay just under $1k with some more stuff in it actually.

I wouldn't want a non name brand computer.  Too many things could come of that if you get say a series of laptops with lemon fans in them, a non name brand company is just going to brush you off.

btw have you ever tried to get ahold of asus or abit?  lol.  At least HP's ops pretend they are from America hehe.

Anyway thanks for the link it was nice checking that out and if it were a bit cheaper I'd think about it, but like I said - no name brand on laptop...unless it is DIRT cheap - is a big no no.

do not know why you think ASUS is non name brand, prob 70% of the population consider them the best in MB's, and they have made computers for quite some time now.......

to compare this to a DELL and getting close to this ASUS laptop but just short of it ( 1 gig of 533 for Dell vs 1gig of 667mhz for ASUS)(ati 1400 256meg for Dell vs ATI1700 256 meg ASUS) giving DELL the edge on the LCD size 15.4 vs ASUS 14.1

DELL came in at 1442.00 after 100.00 rebate before taxes and shipping to ASUS's 1298. 99

DELL charging tax of 100.95  and 24.95 shipping ( but gives u a shipping discount ) total DELL price is $ 1542.95

this is far cheaper than my inspiron 4300 I got last year , but my Inspirion has a 17" widescreen LCD  and other added features.......

yes, on dealing with ASUS. ASUS  has never given me any trouble, and are pretty honorable.......truthfully is more than I can say for DELL, really......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 03:51:03 PM »
Originally posted by Sincraft
hehehe yea you can run vista on most laptops today.  

Too many rumors about what a hog it is.  Don't get me wrong, it is but not THAT much.  

I'm prolly gonna get vista biz from a client as a freebie soon so that/s no longer a perc

Vista runs most aps about 20% slower then XP. It has much higher overhead. both laptops he showed had only 1G of ram...the absolute minimum for Vista...which really requires about 3G to run well. 2000 is still a much better business platform then Vista...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson